What's your favorite high CRI bulbs for home use in 2016?

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
I am smitten with the high CRI of some of my LED flashlights, and want to get some bulbs for my home. I mainly use the BR30 style flood and the A19 style in lamps.

Are there high CRI versions of these that are available at reasonable expense?

Thanks!

mcnels1

Newly Enlightened
Costco sells 92 CRI 60W equivalent A19 bulbs for $5/bulb in six packs online, and I believe three packs in-store. I have not tried them:

http://www.costco.com/Feit-Omni-Dir...-25,000-Hours-|-6-pack.product.100169494.html

Costco has a 40W equivalent A19 at $3.33/bulb.

Ikea sells a 500lm (slightly brighter than 40W equivalent) A19 bulb that I believe they rate as CRI 90+ (it only says this on the packaging, not on the web site) for $4.49/bulb. They are inefficient as LEDs go at only 50lm/watt. I've used a set of five in a bathroom for about 18 months. One of them occasionally flickers slightly, but otherwise they've performed well:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80306978/

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
I'd like for the Soraa Br30 to be my favorite high-CRI bulbs, alas, it still is not available...

despite being announced last May:

http://www.soraa.com/news_releases/31

and getting a Sapphire award last week:

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/article...lify-advances-in-ssl-technology-magazine.html

ledssapphfeatsoraabr030316.jpg

curby

Newly Enlightened
Watch for sales, Home Depot sometimes has CREE TW (True White) bulbs on sale. We got about half a dozen of their 60W equivs for about $5 each, and they've been performing well. They're actually too bright for some applications and we've been looking for good deals on the 40W equivs. Prices as of this post are insane though.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TW-Serie...ght-Bulb-BA19-04527OMN-12DE26-2U100/205551206
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-TW-...ght-Bulb-BA19-08027OMN-12DE26-2U100/205551228

Thanks for the Costco/FEIT tip. I've gotten some FEIT products before and while the light quality was bad, they were cheap and reliable. I am confident that their higher-end, high CRI products should look nicer.

curby

Newly Enlightened
Watch for sales, Home Depot sometimes has CREE TW (True White) bulbs on sale. We got about half a dozen of their 60W equivs for about $5 each, and they've been performing well. They're actually too bright for some applications and we've been looking for good deals on the 40W equivs. Prices as of this post are insane though.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TW-Serie...ght-Bulb-BA19-04527OMN-12DE26-2U100/205551206
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-TW-...ght-Bulb-BA19-08027OMN-12DE26-2U100/205551228

Thanks for the Costco/FEIT tip. I've gotten some FEIT products before and while the light quality was bad, they were cheap and reliable. I am confident that their higher-end, high CRI products should look nicer.

curby

Newly Enlightened
Neat, local utility rebate on the FEIT guys, bringing them to $2/ea for the 40W, bought as a 3-pack. I hope they work out!

ff5a07f2f80ac6e019f290d9417a6af3.jpg

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have replaced every single light bulb in my home with the FEIT 60W bulbs from Costco. Over the period of 1 year I had one start to go bad. Other than that no problem, cheap prices through utility subsidy and decent looking light all rooms.

mcnels1

Newly Enlightened
I stopped by Costco today and found they had four-packs of 90 CRI 60w equivalent bulbs http://www.feit.com/led-lamps/enhance_led_a-bulbs/bpom60-927-led for $15 per pack with an $11 utility instant rebate on up to three packs, so I bought three packs. It is hard to resist $1/bulb. The packaging implies they are suitable for enclosed fixtures with a picture of an enclosed ceiling fixture, but I can't find any statement to that effect.

Michael9038

Newly Enlightened
We picked up 20 of the FEIT BR40's - 75 watt equivalent, 15.5 watt, 2700k, dimmable, 1065 lumens, 90+ CRI - and we've been extremely happy with them. They look fantastic, and our power bill is trending down. $19 per two pack minus plus our utility rebate made it a no brainer.

Also picked up a dozen of the 60 watt equivalent A19 FEIT bulbs - 9.5 watt, 90+ CRI, 2700k, dimmable. About 2.50 a bulb with our utility rebate. They've been great as well.

I think for *most* people, the FEIT bulbs from Costco will be your best choice. If you are looking for high CRI bulbs, there's a good chance they'll pay for the membership on day one, and of course you can return them if they dont work for you.

curby

Newly Enlightened
Some notes on FEIT 40W vs Cree TW 60W bulbs:

Crees come on immediately, with little discernible lag. FEIT's take a beat and then come on at full brightness (more of a pause-then-on rather than a ramp). Not the end of the world, but noticeable after using the Crees. This is not a "warm up" issue with the FEITs. If you leave the FEITs on for an hour, then flip them off and on again, they will once again pause before lighting up.

FEITs are ok in damp locations and in enclosed light fixtures. CREEs are not meant to be used in enclosed fixtures, and I forgot what they said about moisture.

The FEIT 40W bulbs are MUCH lighter than the CREE 60W bulbs. For certain fixtures (e.g. hanging ones), the lower weight might be a decidedly good thing.

CREEs have a rubbery-feeling outer coating that I imagine would capture more dust and be harder to clean. The FEITs just seem to have a plastic shell.

Both have small quality control issues re: construction, e.g. the translucent domes being affixed off-center, etc. One of the FEITs had a loose dome, but the bulb works fine and the fixture is completely enclosed so you can't even tell.

When we put in three CREEs, they seemed to be of more consistent brightness. We replaced those with the FEIT 40W units because the 60s were too bright, and the FEITs seem to vary more in output. I'd call it tint/temperature, but perhaps there's some variance in lumen output as well.

Overall, I dig them both. I love the price and light weight of the FEITs. I love the instant-on of the CREEs (with the understanding that being irked by a sub-second delay in my lighting is such a first world problem).

Aside: I got my first "serious" LED light about a decade ago, but it wasn't until a few years ago that Nichia made neutral-tint, high CRI emitters an option in more mainstream flashlights and the past year or so that we got some viable (i.e. cheap enough) 90+ CRI bulbs for home. In short, hooray progress!

Last edited:

mcnels1

Newly Enlightened
Some notes on FEIT 40W vs Cree TW 60W bulbs:

Crees come on immediately, with little discernible lag. FEIT's take a beat and then come on at full brightness (more of a pause-then-on rather than a ramp). Not the end of the world, but noticeable after using the Crees. This is not a "warm up" issue with the FEITs. If you leave the FEITs on for an hour, then flip them off and on again, they will once again pause before lighting up.

So far as I can tell the Feit 60w bulbs I just bought come on instantly. I compared one against a non-TW Cree BR30 and both turned on at the same time (per my eyes). My Ikea Ledare bulbs come on noticeably after the Feit bulb, with the Feit bulb coming on at the middle of the toggle switch throw and the Ikea bulbs coming on near the end of the throw.

andychrist

Newly Enlightened
Best brand I've found so far is Hyperikon on Amazon. They have a lot of bulbs in CRI90+, though not everything in their line is that high yet so be careful when purchasing. Very sleek, no exposed cooling fins. Best thing is that all their bulbs are dimmable with negligeable flicker or buzz (when ganged over 10W) and most have very good watts to lumens ratios with many options in 2700K (though unfortunately their 16W/100W Equivalent is still only available in 3000K). Have purchased cases and cases of their 90+ CRI bulbs in both 2700K and 3000K: 9W/800Lumen A19, 8W/500Lumen PAR20 and 14W/1200Lumen PAR38. Replaced every single CFL in the house and added dozens of new lamps as well just so I could have every square inch of the place illuminated by them. Okay I did install three Philips 2700K 14.5W/1500lumen bulbs where I needed bright light in non-dimming sockets and they have real nice color even though not very high CRI. First three-pack came with one defective unit so Amazon replaced the whole box.

Also Utilitech has a reasonably priced Pro line with decent brightness and acceptable efficacy. They are also dimmable without buzz/flicker but don't come in 2700K, just 3000K and up. Dunno their CRI but AFAIK they offer the most powerful PAR38 at 20.5W/1450Lumen. Have had a bunch over a year now and am happy with them, the spot lights work fine in security fixtures that dim on and off. Ooh, there goes one now, gotta go out and feed the feral cat!

Last edited by a moderator:

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
I don't like the Costco Feit 3-pack bulbs at all. When they're operating normally I see a very noticeable 120Hz flicker out of the corner of my eye. When there is any kind of power fluctuation at all they flicker and dim dramatically at lower frequencies when older Philips bulbs do not in the same fixture. There is no dimmer on that circuit.

I haven't tried the newer style Feit bulbs Costco sells in a 4-pack. I have my doubts.

I may need to try the Hyperikon bulbs. The Feits make me feel a bit unsettled and dizzy.

Edit: The Feit bulbs I have are the 60W eq. version.

Last edited:

brickbat

Enlightened
I've got a house full of Cree TW and regular Cree lamps, with a smattering of other LED lamps. The ONLY way I'm replacing perfectly fine lamps from now is if they're 90+ CRI, have a published R9 value that's decent, are 3000K, have decent efficacy, low flicker, and are inexpensive. Otherwise, I'm just taking my ball and going home...

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tried the newer style Feit bulbs Costco sells in a 4-pack. I have my doubts.

I've now tried the 4-pack of Feit bulbs at $4.89 out the door. My phone's camera shows they have a bit more 120Hz flicker than the older Feit bulbs. They'll be going back or perhaps given to someone who doesn't get bothered by this.

jthj

Newly Enlightened
I've bought a few of the Phillips Slim Style CRI90 bulbs from Home Depot and am pretty happy with them so far.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best brand I've found so far is Hyperikon on Amazon. They have a lot of bulbs in CRI90+, though not everything in their line is that high yet so be careful when purchasing. Very sleek, no exposed cooling fins. Best thing is that all their bulbs are dimmable with negligeable flicker or buzz (when ganged over 10W) and most have very good watts to lumens ratios with many options in 2700K (though unfortunately their 16W/100W Equivalent is still only available in 3000K). Have purchased cases and cases of their 90+ CRI bulbs in both 2700K and 3000K: 9W/800Lumen A19, 8W/500Lumen PAR20 and 14W/1200Lumen PAR38. Replaced every single CFL in the house and added dozens of new lamps as well just so I could have every square inch of the place illuminated by them. Okay I did install three Philips 2700K 14.5W/1500lumen bulbs where I needed bright light in non-dimming sockets and they have real nice color even though not very high CRI. First three-pack came with one defective unit so Amazon replaced the whole box.

Also Utilitech has a reasonably priced Pro line with decent brightness and acceptable efficacy. They are also dimmable without buzz/flicker but don't come in 2700K, just 3000K and up. Dunno their CRI but AFAIK they offer the most powerful PAR38 at 20.5W/1450Lumen. Have had a bunch over a year now and am happy with them, the spot lights work fine in security fixtures that dim on and off. Ooh, there goes one now, gotta go out and feed the feral cat!

I just tried the Hyperikons and although their construction seams nice, they have noticeable PWM and seem cooler then advertised.

markr6

Flashaholic
Hyperikon!!! Amazing tint in the 4000K flavor. I use them in my basement where a cooler temp looks OK. In a living space, the 3000K is nice. I don't really notice the difference between that and 2700K though.

90+ CRI, available in 2300K, 2700K, 3000K, 4000K, 5000K flavors.

$4.45 per bulb with the 4-pack on amazon as I write this. Crazy!

Latest posts