What's your favorite surefire LED?

fire-stick

Enlightened
I noticed the L4 has alot of output but doesn't throw all that far.

Lets say I'm in the country or the woods or in a cave or something and there is just enough light for me to be able to see my hand in front of my face. Like almost pitch black dark.

How far out is the L4 going to illuminate something?

I'm guessing maybe 100 feet. I have a 5mm led light (28 led's) and I read a review on it and it has a lux reading of about 400. The review I read on the L4 said it has 512.

Would these two lights have similar throw?

go_to_the_light

Newly Enlightened
U2 - on the fly adjustment of run time and intensity. good throw if needed

Then L4 with a 2 stage switch - small, good output, good flexibility.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am not a fan of surefire LED lights, because all of the lights are either throw or flood, none are both other than the larger lights like L6, L5. They either use TIR (throw) or a very stippled reflector (flood).

-David

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
I think I have all of the current SF LED lights as well as most of the out of production ones (my sig line needs updating). Answering this question is the reason I have so many. I like most of them but my hands down favorite is the U2
buttrock.gif
. It is an awesome light period. They have quirks but so does a BMW 760
naughty.gif
. I'd like to submit the good ol L5 for an honarable mention, it a perfectly sized little tank of a light that is bright, tough, and super reliable.

rikvee

Enlightened
The only 3 Surefire lights I need are the L1/F04 as a bedside light, the L4/Pila168s for general purpose around the house, and the M3T/2x17500 for outside (oops that last one ain't led...:whoopin:)

.... and if I had only known that before I started, I would have a lot more dough left in the kitty.....

nc987

Enlightened
Well I own, a L6, L5, E2L, KL3 for my 6P, and U2 and I have to say my favorite is the U2 for the versatility it offers. But IMO the best LED light I have ever used is the L6, the beam is absolutely perfect. Offers good throw and a great flood. It has a deeper reflector and larger bezel than the smaller LED's and I have yet to see a LED that can beat it's beam which so far is the closest I have seen to a perfect flashlight beam.

IonFire

Enlightened
:hahaha: I only own a few SF's.

But of the three i do own, i love my E1L with 2-stage switch. :twothumbs
Small'ish,bright, good runtimes even on high, and good looking.

IF

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Current favorite is the L4. Excellent runtime, great light and rock solid. Throw could perhabs be better, but my main use for it is close range work!

Longbow

Enlightened
KL3 head on 2 or 3 cell body, long runtime, good for medium distance and close-up work....with a welders helmet. :)

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
I have a few LEDs (some SF, some not). Problem is i dont have just *a* favourite SF LED. I love both the E1L and KL4 (with and FB1 body).

Tajji

Newly Enlightened
KL3 head, 3 cell body with 2 protected 17500. Runtime is over 5 hours with full regulation.

a99raptors

Enlightened
U2 digital ultra. I love it even more when I just compared it to the P61 HOLA. Yes, the P61 wins, but not by much, and the throw is pretty much sufficient more most of my tasks.

I have the L2 as well and I thought that was the Holy grail of Tactical EDCs..... Until the U2 with the better focus came along....

SpeedPRO

Enlightened
I've got L4 for flood, KL1 for throw, and U2 for little bit of both. I guess I liked them all. The U2 is superb with the variable output, but for EDC sizewise to me is little to big to fit in the pocket. I guess I'll vote for the L4 for favorite SF.

chronium

Newly Enlightened
Surefire L4 for me :rock:... i have the KL3, the L6, the L5 and i still miss my old L4....

Its small, slim, bright and can use recharables.

Yes the throw may not be great, but i suppose i just the love the flood beam..

i find it useful for walking around at night and being able to illuminate whats in the periphery not jsut straight ahead.

If anyone has a used one they want to sell jsut let me know... i'll be glad to take it :)

mr_bb

Newly Enlightened
The one I got yesterday with a gift voucher to a sporting goods store from the place I work.

E2L, my first Surefire, but definately not my last. Next? L2, L4, U2? Don't know yet.

chuck4570

Enlightened
L1 all the way, I think it is a great in the house every night light. Low setting great for getting around without blinding yourself, and the High setting for when you need a little more light. If you need more light it's plenty to get you to your other lights.

Chuck

buymysoul

Newly Enlightened
It is hard to choose a favorite, I have an older KL1 that runs a TWOH on stock circuitry, an L4 and an "error" e2l (pretty sure it is just an L2 head) run off of protected rechargeables.

If I go for a walk, shine a light from the bedroom into the kitchen to stop the cats from fighting at night, am looking at things at a distance outside or walking around in the house late at night or am camping(runtime) I use the kl1.
If I hear a weird noise outside, am showing off cool small flashlights or were to encountered some intruder, I'd use the error e2l. I don't use it much really, it gets hot pretty fast and the beam is almost the same as the l4. It is crazy bright though.
Looking for a lost pet, using a light during the day (like working on the car) or working in a lighted room and need to see behind or under somewhere, I use the l4.
Give me one of each Surefire LED head and I'm sure I could find a specific and unique use for each one.

If I have to choose a favorite, I guess I'd have to say the KL1. I find myself using it the most (mainly because it is NOT as bright as the other two) and I modded it all by myself (I'm special).