What's your favorite Vic Swiss Army Knife?

paulr

I guess the Explorer is my perennial fave, but lately I've had frequent use for the small philips bits in the Cybertool, for opening electronic stuff.

Burgess

Well, the only one i have is the SwissChamp,

but admittedly, it's kinda' big. :devil:

These certainly are incredibly useful gizmos, aren't they !

Almost as handy as a Flashlight !

:tinfoil:
_

Update September 2011:

I recently purchased 2 additional Victorinox models . . . .

a Farmer in silver alox

- and -

a Tinker with translucent blue scales (plastic handles).

Both of these were Very reasonable in price. (bought 'em on Amazon, with free shipping)

They are both Wonderful, well-made, easily carried in my pocket, and Incredibly Handy & Useful !

:twothumbs

BTW -- i can sure see how these cute little things could quickly become Addictive.

:whistle:

BTW2 -- also got a Victorinox Cadet silver alox, for my Father.
To replace the totally junkie, useless, piece of crap which he HAD been carrying. :green:

He loves his new pocketknife. :thumbsup:
_

Last edited:

UnknownVT

If you haven't already - you should consider joining SOSAK -
visit its parent forum THE SECRET ORDER OF THE SAK and post a request to join.

My favorite?
Scientist2.jpg

my EDC since Feb/1993 -
previous to this customized Scientist - I carried a plain model from Feb/1988.
The Victorinox Scientist has been discontinued for some years now.

Please see:

My EDC Story - Victorinox Combo Tool Story

Minimalist SAKs

Another that I like is this the maximal Minimalist SAK (linked)
WaiterPlus91mm.jpg

this is a 91mm "Waiter Plus" - I think this was a limited run and probably also pretty rare now.

bullfrog

Hi all, found myself looking for a new SAK to replace my heavy leatherman wave for my EDC bag (I never use the pliers). So I was just wondering:

What is your favorite Vic Swiss Army Knife?

I think I'm going for the classic valox farmer...

Narcosynthesis

It depends on what I am doing...

Right now I have a Cadet in my pocket, which can be swapped for a Soldier or Spartan when out and about if needed, and when camping I carry a Huntsman and OH Sentinel...

Can you guess that I am a fellow SOSAK'er?

karlthev

Supporter
I believe the model is called the "Waiter"--it has a corkscrew, a bottle opener and a blade size between the largest model and the istsy-bitsy, damned near useless little bugger blade size. It fits into my pocket in my dress pants (for work) and my jeans (for the rest of my life) without creating any comotion in either environment. Larger knives with corresponding larger blades are OK in the field but don't seem to go over very well in the office with---"Why do you carry a knife"?--questions.

Karl

Babo

Tinker. Same as Spartan except that a phillips screwdriver replaces the corkscrew.

StuToffee

I tend to flit between my Explorer & Handyman.
I find the Philips-head screwdriver useful on the Explorer but I like the pliers & "chunkier" feel of the Handyman.

Whichever one Im EDC'ing, I have a fauxton, spycapsule of vseline/cotton & a small flint rod attached to the split ring.

Oh yeah, theres a Minichamp on my keyring & a Swisscard in my wallet, too.

LED_Thrift

Tinker. Phillips head is a must have.

To me, a corkscrew on a pocketknife is as useless as SOS mode is on an EDC. If I carry wine out in the field it is in a skin or flask anyway, at home I use a real corkscrew/cork lifter that works better.

TCW60: That knife on top looks great, I love the nice saw blade. Do you know which model it is?

DaveT

I've really come to appreciate the Alox Farmer (that's the top knife in TCW60's post). I I love that the awl is on the end, like a knife blade, instead of in the middle of the backstrap like it is on most other models...much more useful to me there, and probably the thing I use most off of it.

I think the only other thing I'd really like on it is the scissors - but then it starts to become a bigger tool.

Dave

paulr

I've had the corkscrew come in handy a few times, when I happen to meet someone who has some wine with them in a regular corked bottle, e.g. while travelling.

Gatsby

Currently I'm very fond of my alox Cadet. I'm completely sold on the Alox models and have concluded that the width of the knife makes a big difference when carrying it on a daily basis in business attire.

That being said, the Minichamp is a pretty darn useful little knife as well. I miss a larger blade and hence it's been relegated to key ring duty.

I have to ask this, however, what does everyone use the awl for? It seems popular and yet I don't think I've ever used it on any of my SAKs....

DuckhunterInTN

The Compact for sure. Large blade, large scissors, can/bottle opener, corkscrew, eyeglass screwdriver, toothpick, tweezers and pen.

For ME, it is the best version they make hands down. Of course, for other people that may not apply....which is the great thing about SAKs, they make one for virtually everybody.