What's your favorite Vic Swiss Army Knife?

balou

Victorinox Manager.

Small, keychain-sized, with Philipps Screwdriver, Scissors, Bottle opener, Pen, Tweezers, and of course a Blade ;)

And yes, the bottle opener does come in handy. There would have been no wine at the party I was last weekend without my SAcKmesser. Did I already tell that I often carry TWO at weekends? :D

chamenos

The Victorinox Soldier.

Alox scales, large (and thicker) blade, can opener/screwdriver, bottle opener/wirestripper/screwdriver and an awl. I've found that it usually has everything I usually need, and nothing I don't.

I like how it doesn't have a little lanyard tab and that the logo is the Swiss national logo instead of the Victorinox shield. I hope this model doesn't get discontinued due the Swiss Army adopting the Trekker model to replace it.

To another poster who asked about the awl, it's useful for poking or prodding, and as a beater knife blade for when you don't want to mess up the main blade. I've used it to scrap dirty electrical contacts, bore pilot holes for screws, and even as an eyeglass screwdriver.

Last edited:

chamenos

Tinker. Phillips head is a must have.

To me, a corkscrew on a pocketknife is as useless as SOS mode is on an EDC. If I carry wine out in the field it is in a skin or flask anyway, at home I use a real corkscrew/cork lifter that works better.

TCW60: That knife on top looks great, I love the nice saw blade. Do you know which model it is?

The corkscrew does have many other uses besides opening wine bottles, which can make it more useful than a phillips driver depending on your usage.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212224

n4zov

Victorinox "Tinker" and especially the older version that is somewhat shorter than the version currently being produced. I've been carrying one for 30+ years, and it is incredibly versatile!

jabe1

CPF Supporter
Soldier for sure. Ended up giving mine to my father who was impressed by the robust feel , his EDC now. Pricing new ones but can't find red!

Shur

Alox Cadet 2.
I got it largely because of the can opener but I really enjoy the large and small blades. Between the two of them I've made out alright.

Tracer

The Alox farmer and the Huntsman are my favorites.
Must say that at the moment i'm completly in love with the Victorinox survival set.

Wrend

Think I'll be picking up the Handyman sometime. More basic useful tools I might need in a pinch without the extras that I doubt I'd need taking up extra room. Actually, I just suggested to my wife that it would make for a good present (she was asking for ideas the other day).

I'm currently using the Spartan Lite.

Last edited:

Wrend

So the Handyman doesn't come with a Philips screwdriver, and the Craftsman doesn't come with a corkscrew, but they both come with 3 flat-head screwdrivers. :ironic:

Wrend

OK. I settled on the Ranger. The pliers made the knife a little too bulky to carry around. But other than that it's the same as the Handyman. Still enough tools that I might need or want in a pinch, but EDC-able, and with a nice classic SAK appeal. :)

Last edited:

benji.hi

My EDC is a Victorinox Swiss Army Soldier Knife, the new 2009 model based on the one handed trekker.
I find it more useful than a regular knife, but it's still got one handed opening and a locking blade unlike most SAKs.
I would gladly swap the serrated blade for a strait edge, and the wood saw for scissors... I'm surprised thay don't make more variations of the one handed trekker. :thinking:

Wrend

Yeah, the newer Swiss Army Soldier Knife is going on the Christmas list this year. A little more of a "tactical" utility knife. I saw a picture somewhere around here of a glow-in-the-dark SAK. Might be kind of cool to pick one of those up too.

guyg

Mine is the Explorer. I like the phillips location better. I screwed a mini screwdriver in the corkscrew and a push pin in the hole in the handle.

ico

I only have one and it is the camper.

I have been looking at the bantam and cadet in alox since they are a lot smaller. Do you guys know where I can find a bantam in alox?