What's your ideal watch?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A few minutes? Did you used to work at CERN by any chance? In all seriousness, even low-end automatic calibers can be expected to perform within 20-30 sec. a day. But those can easily be adjusted to run less then 10. A better automatic will do <10 out the box, chronometers usually <5. But that's of cause with regular servicing every 5-10 years.

Most quarz calibers feature end-of-life indicators, they should kick in weeks or even months before it stops ticking.
Up until this year the only automatics I had were a Fossil and a Relic that yes they gained several minutes a day. The Relic would gain up to 30 minutes during the 8 hour work day! As a youngster I had a Seiko Lord Matic that gained about 5 minutes per day.

I have a few now that are accurate to a few seconds per day. My 1960's Gruen Comet is pretty accurate along with my 1960's Elgin. The Timex, and Orient automatics are as well.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I might have found my 95% ideal watch.
Closest I've come. Still testing it out.
Will do a review of it on my main YouTube channel.
And will mention it here after I'm done putting her through her paces.

Bucur

Enlightened
Up until this year the only automatics I had were a Fossil and a Relic that yes they gained several minutes a day. The Relic would gain up to 30 minutes during the 8 hour work day! As a youngster I had a Seiko Lord Matic that gained about 5 minutes per day.

I have a few now that are accurate to a few seconds per day. My 1960's Gruen Comet is pretty accurate along with my 1960's Elgin. The Timex, and Orient automatics are as well.
Gaining 30 minutes during the 8 hour work day must be relaxing. :sssh:

Bucur

Enlightened
I might have found my 95% ideal watch.
Closest I've come. Still testing it out.
Will do a review of it on my main YouTube channel.
And will mention it here after I'm done putting her through her paces.
I understand that your You Tube channel is well known here but I am late in joining. Would you mind if I ask for the link?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I understand that your You Tube channel is well known here but I am late in joining. Would you mind if I ask for the link?
Don't want to give my channel free advertising on CPF.
But I sent you a Private Message. Hope to see you there.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't want to give my channel free advertising on CPF.
But I sent you a Private Message. Hope to see you there.
Noble intent about non public disclosure of your YouTube channel, but if you are not making money off of it (which I believe you said you don't) then really, several of us have already shown our own YouTube channels here on CPF. Seems like you can, when asked.

Or, private message me and I will post it. We are here to learn, and hopefully help others.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Noble intent about non public disclosure of your YouTube channel, but if you are not making money off of it (which I believe you said you don't) then really, several of us have already shown our own YouTube channels here on CPF. Seems like you can, when asked.

Or, private message me and I will post it. We are here to learn, and hopefully help others.
I don't make money off of my main channel, nor my ASMR channel.
Still.... I don't feel comfortable just posting it outright on CPF. If any individual members are curious and want to stop by, it's not a problem to PM them.

fuyume

Enlightened
I was recently in a discussion with another member regarding personal preferences for guns, knives, and flashlights, and I happen to mention one of my other favorites is watches. The suggestion was made to maybe start a thread on favorite watches, just to see what other CPF members might prefer, as we were both in agreement that most folks are just as particular about their watches as they are about their guns, lights, and knives. So, here it is. Show us your best, whether it's your everyday beater watch or your finest dress timepiece, or even both!

I don't have a picture of mine, but I'll describe it for you and post a link. My favorite watch is my Marathon Navigator with date. It's an analog watch and it's not as elegant as maybe a Sieko Diver, or a Tissot or even a Rolex, but it is nearly indestructable, and keeps better time than my Sieko dress watch my wife and kids gave me for Christmas (that still makes an appearence on occasion to keep the natives from getting restless; can't be too careless, you know). I've worn my Navigator for around 6 years now, the crystal is cracked, and the outer bezel is missing a number or two, but I changed the battery in it about three months ago, and it's still within 15 seconds of when I set it. This is the third battery in 6 years, and I don't ever remember it being more that 45 to 60 seconds off. Around two hundred dollars, and for my money, for an all purpose watch, it can't be beat. See it at this link:

http://www.marathonwatch.com/produc...-navigator-quartz-with-date-type-iii-class-1/

Marathon also makes high end stainless steel watches for divers and SAR types, that also cost much more. I'm sure they are fine timepieces, based on my experience with the Navigator, but this is my favorite, hands down. I have other watches, some nice and some not so nice but functional, but this one is my all around favorite. So, what's yours? :twothumbs

I have always preferred diver's watches, hence why I bought my Breitling Avenger Seawolf in 2002. It's an heirloom quality titanium and sapphire automatic certified chronometer waterproof to 10000 feet.

But, in 2024, all things considered, my ideal watch would be the Apple Watch Ultra 2. The battery life isn't ideal, but the level of functionality is amazing.

In 2002, the latest and greatest tech was the iPod and a Palm OS smartphone. The iPhone was still 5 years away.

The world is totally different, now.

IMG_0941.jpeg

IMG_0950.png

Last edited:

Bucur

Enlightened
I have always preferred diver's watches, hence why I bought my Breitling Avenger Seawolf in 2002. It's an heirloom quality titanium and sapphire automatic certified chronometer waterproof to 10000 feet.

But, in 2024, all things considered, my ideal watch would be the Apple Watch Ultra 2. The battery life isn't ideal, but the level of functionality is amazing.

In 2002, the latest and greatest tech was the iPod and a Palm OS smartphone. The iPhone was still 5 years away.

The world is totally different, now.

View attachment 64105

View attachment 64106

I wonder about the distinction between smart communications devices. What I get is that if they tell the time and are worn on the wrist they become wrist watch but if they are worn in the pocket they do not become pocket watch. Rather, they become cell phone or mobile phone.

I think this all started with portable (or mobile or pocket size) computers being called "phone" due to their capacity to also enable phone calls among zillion other functions. However, these pocketable smart devices evolved from cell phones. Initially, phone calls were their sole function. The word "phone" got stuck on them. The so called smart watches, however, are born as smart devices that are worn on the wrist. My TV also tells the time but it is not called wall clock. My desktop computer is not called table clock. My car, my oven and so many other contemporary products tell the time without being associated with any kind of timepiece.

Please don't get me wrong. The Apple Ultra 2 may well be ideal for you and for many others instead of a wrist watch but IMHO any watch, let alone an ideal one would rather be about horology.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Accurate, small, thin, quartz LCD w/day-date-time and 24h chrono, an alarm, and a backlight. Nothing more EDIT: or less.

Last edited:

Bucur

Enlightened
Accurate, small, thin, quartz LCD w/day-date-time and 24h chrono, an alarm, and a backlight. Nothing more EDIT: or less.
I can go even a bit further without leaving horologic territory. Solar power, perpetual calendar, BT or satellite or radio connectivity for time sync are virtues that I admire. Nevertheless, my admiration has only been mental so far. When it comes to actually buying a timepiece, I couldn't yet go beyond G-Shock with these features.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Some of you guys have had bad luck with watches that don't keep time. My Omega Seamaster loses about 5 seconds per day and that is too much for me. I tried to get it adjusted but no joy. Everything else that I own is accurate to within less than 15 seconds per month. The watch I wear every day is a Tissot that my wife bought for me in the year we got married. Over 40 years later its still accurate to within seconds a month. I also have a pocket watch that doesn't work but that is still right twice a day.

Incidentally, I change my own batteries as its so much more convenient (and cheaper).

Bucur

Enlightened
Some of you guys have had bad luck with watches that don't keep time. My Omega Seamaster loses about 5 seconds per day and that is too much for me. I tried to get it adjusted but no joy. Everything else that I own is accurate to within less than 15 seconds per month. The watch I wear every day is a Tissot that my wife bought for me in the year we got married. Over 40 years later its still accurate to within seconds a month. I also have a pocket watch that doesn't work but that is still right twice a day.

Incidentally, I change my own batteries as its so much more convenient (and cheaper).
Good or bad luck with watches keeping time varies depending on the movement in question being mechanical or quartz. Assuming that your Seamaster is METAS approved automatic (mechanic), like most recent Omega watches are, + 5 seconds a day is the upper limit of its guaranteed accuracy but as far as I know, losing is not (the norm is 0 to +5 seconds a day). An authorized Omega center is supposed to take care of this (at no cost to you if your watch is still under warranty).

Your 40 years old Tissot and everything else that you own must all be quartz watches, given their accuracy. If so, this is quite normal without good or bad luck. If not, you are extremely lucky with a mechanical watch that is accurate to within seconds a month, let alone only 15 seconds.

Your pocket watch is as accurate as the atomic clock, twice a day! :)

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Hi Bucur. Yes, sometimes I find I left out some facts. The Omega is indeed a Seamaster Professional (a self winder). I bought it as a present to me on my 50th birthday, over 15 years ago. I did take it back to the dealer who claimed it had been "adjusted". I would be happy with 5 seconds fast but slow seems "wrong" to me. Either way the dealer closed shortly after that so I never thought about it again. I wore it at the office most days but since I retired I rarely wear a watch unless I go out.

I still like the look of the Rolex Milgauss, (the green glass variant) but really can't justify the price.

My other watches are all quartz. The 40 year old Tissot has special spot in my heart so I keep wearing it even though most of the gold colour has worn off. I also have a couple of Timex Weekenders that I wear with NATO straps that I like a lot. Cheap and accurate is a good combo I think. Plus they have the indiglo function that I find useful.

Nowadays I do a lot of gardening (yard work) so I generally don't wear jewelry during the day.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the days of my Grandfather, quartz crystals have been the standard for generation of an accurate timebase. By the time I was in my 20s, they'd made it into wristwatches. I've never looked back, and won't. Although a sparky guy, I appreciate mechanical things very much, and particularly old ones; however when it comes to a watch, I want the best basic functionality I can get/afford.

iacchus

Enlightened
I got this guy from Japan yesterday morning.
Solar chrono. I like that Seiko has enough legacy through the decades with the Speedtimer that it isn't just another knockoff of the Daytona or Speedmaster.
This will end up on some blonde leather for the proper vibe.
20240703_151226.jpg

I find it amazing that I can find a watch I like, and search around for good prices, and find an example in a shop in Japan without leaving my desk.
Then chat with that shop owner about it from the same desk, and because of the yen currently being so weak against the dollar come to quite a good deal (~45% off MSRP). Tap a few keys and send him US Dollars that magically convert to Yen before he gets them in seconds. Then he boxes up my watch and gets it from Nippon to the Gulf of Mexico in four days.

It's pretty cool living in the future.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I got this guy from Japan yesterday morning.
Solar chrono. I like that Seiko has enough legacy through the decades with the Speedtimer that it isn't just another knockoff of the Daytona or Speedmaster.
This will end up on some blonde leather for the proper vibe.
View attachment 64368

I find it amazing that I can find a watch I like, and search around for good prices, and find an example in a shop in Japan without leaving my desk.
Then chat with that shop owner about it from the same desk, and because of the yen currently being so weak against the dollar come to quite a good deal (~45% off MSRP). Tap a few keys and send him US Dollars that magically convert to Yen before he gets them in seconds. Then he boxes up my watch and gets it from Nippon to the Gulf of Mexico in four days.

It's pretty cool living in the future.
Just a couple of short years ago, I used to still get in my car and drive to various locations in my corner of NYC and Long Island to buy what I wanted. Why various? The first place usually didn't have the item. Nor the 2nd, nor the 3rd.... Sometimes I'd spend hours upon hours of my day off doing that. Sometimes not finding the item at all.

Then I realized, I have credit cards, a debit card, and a PayPal account. What the Hell am I doing?! Get exactly what I want with a few keystrokes, wait a few days to have it delivered to my home. DONE!

Life is stressful enough as it is. Why make it worse on ourselves?

Latest posts