What's your most impressive flashlight?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find what impresses more than sheer output is the output/size ratio. Zebralight SC52 on 14500 on 500 lumen burst is a real easy one to impress with, lots of output and tiny size. For throw in a small package it's close between my new Predator 2.5 and my Solarforce L2T /w overdriven 4000K XP-E2 SMO (by vinh).

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find what impresses more than sheer output is the output/size ratio. Zebralight SC52 on 14500 on 500 lumen burst is a real easy one to impress with, lots of output and tiny size. For throw in a small package it's close between my new Predator 2.5 and my Solarforce L2T /w overdriven 4000K XP-E2 SMO (by vinh).

I have to agree with this. 100 lumen from an AAA sized light has more WOW factor than 3000 from something the size of a Maglight...

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to summer camp with my son and our troop a few weeks ago, and carried along my Zebralight SC52, SC600, H600, H502w, Quark AA & AA2, Quark QB2A Turbo, Olight M21X, and EagleTac M3C4. The light that got the most interest was the Zebralight SC52 for its size, features, and awesome output on a 14500.

magnum70383

Enlightened
Surprised no one has suggested the Zebralight S6330. For its' size, it is unmatched :) 2400 lumens and around 4 inches.

I agree. I was out on a short adventure at a construction zone and I blasted this light and made it look like daylight. Then i flooded the entire park/playground 100 or so feet away.

I don't know how much smaller the 123, 200lm lights are, but my zebralight sc600 mkii should be a little bigger but packing 900lm. I think that's really impressive

Ishango

Enlightened
Went to summer camp with my son and our troop a few weeks ago, and carried along my Zebralight SC52, SC600, H600, H502w, Quark AA & AA2, Quark QB2A Turbo, Olight M21X, and EagleTac M3C4. The light that got the most interest was the Zebralight SC52 for its size, features, and awesome output on a 14500.

You took just 9 lights with you? Are you sure you went on a summer camp or were you just out EDC'ing? :nana: Seriously, nice pick of lights to take along!

For now for non-flashaholics the SC52 and S10 which are both small and pretty bright have drawn some attention from my friends and family. Also someone asked me about my Quantum DD, since it puts out a lot of light (only for a short moment of course), but yet is very tiny.

For myself currently my Armytek Predator is the most impressive. It is very durable, as programmable as I could wish for and it is bright too. Now just to wait for a USB version with a nice API :grin2:

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impressive because parts are from so many different vendors. The 3P has a triple CP-G2 dropin from EDC+ and is very bright. The lego has a MD61N L and has very impressive runtime with the A19 extension and an 18650.
image.jpg

creyc

Enlightened
I'm starting to realize my Blackshadow Terminator garners the most attention and oohs and ahhhs. It's big, futuristic looking and very very bright!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Zandar

Enlightened
SPY 007 XML-2, insanely bright for it's size and over 1000 OTF at 3.3 Amps in max mode.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I get an answer for the impressive ruggedness category between McGizmo and Armytek? I guess I don't know why McGizmos are so pricey, I thought it was for ruggedness but can it possibly be more durable than Armytek? And Armyteks are $100. Is it that people pay so much for McGizmo because of the asthetics along with ruggedness?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Can I get an answer for the impressive ruggedness category between McGizmo and Armytek? I guess I don't know why McGizmos are so pricey, I thought it was for ruggedness but can it possibly be more durable than Armytek? And Armyteks are $100. Is it that people pay so much for McGizmo because of the asthetics along with ruggedness?

Here is a famous thread ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/323123

... so they are certainly rugged.

Lots of factors go into pricing, but cost of materials is certainly significant (McGizmo uses a lot of titanium) and it is much more difficult to machine titanium than aluminum ;)

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes sense. Still I don't know about dropping that kind of cash on a McGizmo when I can buy an Armytek. .break it and buy another. .break that and buy another. .(repeat process 3 more times) for the same price lol. But to each his own. I'm more into dropping big money on big output

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes sense. Still I don't know about dropping that kind of cash on a McGizmo when I can buy an Armytek. .break it and buy another. .break that and buy another. .(repeat process 3 more times) for the same price lol. But to each his own. I'm more into dropping big money on big output

Sometimes impressive is not just about output, but also about design, look or even price ;)

Tracker II

Enlightened
My most impressive is a Malkoff Hound Dog. It's what I pull out when in the mood for a little shock and awe.

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Most impressive is easy - Maxabeam - nothing like throwing a 30ft high spot on a building a kilometre away.
Yep, and my old Supernova (copy of Maxabeam) gave me plenty of giggles as I too would put spots on buildings I could just about see!

My USL of years back had the 'baaaam' effect, but sold that and 'The Torch' @ 4100 lumens certainly does that for me now, let alone burning paper and stuff ... :D

Semmerling

Newly Enlightened
As a new member, I'm not even sure you will be able to see my response. But, anyway, a solid Navel Bronze Brutus Maximus, throwing 3,000 lumen.

grev

Newly Enlightened
Impressive... and yes, depending on what you find impressive... I have 6 or 7 titanium lights and I hardly use them, they're impressive to people because of aesthetics, although I find the Zebralight SC600 to be impressive, with a smallish body and good output. The Eagletac GX25a3 is impressive because such output and throw can be had in such a small package and only needs three AA batteries, I also find my Eagletac Titanium D25c/D25a to be impressive too, since I have the 2012 versions, an IMR battery and the D25c does 750+ lumens on a tiny body. Then my Thrunite Ti2 to be very impressive with an even smaller body that does 300ish lumens on a 10400 battery.

Although nothing is impressive to me at the moment than my Xeno E03 Nichia 219, great colour rending (which I found to be utterly important ever since I bought them), $30 and gives out 500ish lumens on a 14500.

So after all of this,
- Xeno E03 Nichia 219
- Thrunite Ti2
- Eagletac GX25a3
- Eagletac D25c/D25a
- Zebralight SC600
- My other titanium lights (Jetbeam TCR1; Niteye EYE10 carbon fibre; SWM V10R Ti+; SWM M11R sirius)

DTF

Enlightened

Took a look at the Armytek and the only McGizmo model in the same class would be the Makai which will set you back over $600 with the addition of the clip. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?312060-Wave-of-Makai-6V-XM-L-lights

Here's a picture of my Makai with 1/4"-20 clip, McGizmo coiled tether and swivel.

IMG_0333.jpg by Dean Fletcher - Photographer - Portland, on Flickr

If the need arose, I would not hesitate to use the Makai to hammer in nails. It's titanium, nobody is strong enough to bend the head by hitting it. The lens is sapphire: nearly impossible to break. Armytek, first, being made of aluminum is not going to be a very effective hammer and the head is most likely going to be bent and broken in short order.

Titanium is noncorrosive. Unlike all the aluminum flashlights it doesn't require a coating to keep it from oxidizing. The McGizmo will keep on working in the worst of conditions. It can be used in a salt water environment without needing to be washed off. Let's say you are planning to sail around the world in a small sailboat. Which flashlight do you want: a chinese made aluminum flashlight or a flashlight made entirely of corrosion free titanium?

Another difference is that McGizmo hold their value. The $600 spent on a Makai is retained in it's resale value. When the Makai goes out of production (only one guy makes them so it will go out of production), the value will only go up. A McGizmo taken on an around-the-whole sailboat trip would be worth almost exactly what it originally cost. Add the story to it and the value goes up.

Is the Armytek worth $100? Yes. Is the McGizmo Makai worth $600? Absolutely. Are 6 Armyteks worth a Makai? Not even close.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium is noncorrosive. Unlike all the aluminum flashlights it doesn't require a coating to keep it from oxidizing.
Very interesting I never even considered the corrosion factor. Damn I've never coated any of my aluminum flashlights, what are u supposed to coat them with?