When is enough, enough?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
There was a time maybe 3-4 years ago that I didn't get on here for must of been 2 years. Not really sure what happened. Kids, work, a wife that did nothing and got hooked on drugs? IDK but then one day I came on and have been on here every day. Have tripled my collection and don't see me going anywhere. Life is funny. BTW the only thing that has changed in my life is now I have my kids with me 24/7 and wife has moved out. 🤔🤔😁

wweiss

Enlightened
@thermal - Thanks for the personal share. Not too far off from my own tale, although I've not been on cpf as long as you... Collection has been increasing by disturbing amounts.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Collecting is like belly button lint. As long as you get rid of some once in a while, you'll be fine.

carrot

Flashaholic
Enough was enough until I emerged from hibernation to discover that 18650s are practically commodity batteries now and lights powered by them are offered by every manufacturer under the sun.

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
I love my lights but i feel lile social media and the edc trend has opened the doors to many many more people that are just out for buying the next expensive toy to show off on social media.

It pains me to see more and more people talking about purchasing thier lights thru FB and i worries me as it seems like there is less movement thru the sales threads here.

Idk its almost as if the purity of what was our thing isnt there anymore.

I still look almost daily but i haven't purchased anything new in awhile

Im sure the makers are happy bigger audience means more sales and i am happy for them. It just pains me to know that my niche hobby is getting diluted a bit by pocket dump pics on insta and FB groups getting word on new lights before it makes it to the forum. We were in the know before and now it seems we are behind.

FIXER i know this thread was about when we have big enuf collections, im sorry if me getting this of my chest isnt what was hoped for.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Hey Carrot! Welcome back bro. :)

CARROT! A sight for sore eyes. :welcome:

Carrot is Back ! ! !

:twothumbs
_

Hey guys, it's nice to see all these familiar names still around. It is a little overwhelming to play catch-up! My dresser at home is covered in new lights.

I have been lurking around on some of the other forums and reddit. It's incredible what you can get what we would have paid hundreds of dollars just a few years ago. I guess that's really all technology, but it feels like flashlights made an incredible leap since I've been gone.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I bought one flashlight from social media. It was listed here in the wts customs and I don't lurk there. But I ended up doing the communication through here after finding out it was listed here.

One day the ocd voices turned off. I suppose that was the day "enough is enough".

DJ Wolf

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about enough, but it slowed way down. I wasn't getting the excitement like I did in the early days, when the Arc aaa made carrying a reliable led edc light that used regular batteries possible. Various lights have came and went, but I just ordered a Mcgizmo, been wanting one of his lights for a decade. This is the most excited I've been for a light in years!

Last edited:

Kuroyuki

Newly Enlightened
Setting my priorities between needs and wants. Also found my thrower and flood EDC (a Malkoff MD2 HOT and a Zebralight SC64) which I am sure will last for years.

Also, the high cost of shipping for my wants helped me to control my impulse to buy.

Harry999

Enlightened
I used to post here all the time and I had many flashlights. I would purchase at least two or three a month.

Now I seem to be on the verge of being satisfied with the following:

Several Nitecore Tube lights
A Petzl Zipka 300 headlamp
Brite strike Executive penlight
Malkoff 2AA MDC neutral
& arriving shortly a Malkoff AA MDC neutral and Malkoff MDC 2AA Cool. I also have the steel bezels ordered for each light.

I think I know exactly what I need so have been able to fit each niche with a specific light. It is a good place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

turkeydance

Newly Enlightened
three things:

1. not "there" yet with flashlights. tech keeps getting better and cheaper. back in the day, i thought i was through during the Maglite-era...then came LED's.
2. since knives were mentioned: the only knives i buy are for gifts. i have enough unless there is damage, loss, etc.
3. also guns were brought up. i buy for investment. 12 years ago AR's went from $400 to $1000 each. it could happen again.

Tony Rama

Newly Enlightened
Enough never comes because the horizon is always getting further away. Modern consumer society loves suckers like us. I also have a problem with watches, hi-fi and tools.