When is enough, enough?

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hmmm, I thought I had enough, but I am visiting with my Dad... and he doesn't have enough! So I recently bought a 2 pack of auto on power failure lights, and a 2 cell 18650 rechargeable COB light.

I am restraining myself from getting a 3D lantern.

IdleLion

Newly Enlightened
I honestly think that if I had unlimited recourses and could buy any and all the lights I wanted I would quickly be over it. A big part of the fun for me is holding my collection and financial investment to a limit. Then constantly comparing and weeding out lights as I add new. It makes it challenging and fun to try to find the best light in each of my personal categories and it is so awesome when a light comes along and dethrones a light.

I also think we are on the brink of a lot of new technology and that is going to make things even more interesting. Some lights will stay in the collection no matter how outdated they get because I love them!

ELZ

Newly Enlightened
I mentioned this on another thread, but since I got my Elzetta with a M61W and a Peak Eiger (and a few back-ups of these), I haven't felt the need to buy any more.

My enthusiasm for flashlights hasn't waned. I use them now every day with the same excitement I had when they were new.

UFO

Newly Enlightened
That's actually a very good question. I ask myself that about knives, especially older, American made pocket knives. I think what happens is I alternate between the two. If I focus on knives for a while, there's a lot of new developments in flashlight technology so by the time I get back to it, it's interesting again.

Same with knives. If I focus on flashlights for a while, I start seeing older knives that I'd like to have and so I start to re-focus on those. It's a vicious cycle so in the end, who knows when enough is enough.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me I can not longer find any practical lights. I just read a review for a armytek wizard. It's 2400 lumens! 2400! When 240 is plenty. And obviously none of these light can actually keep that output constant. It seems gimmicky. Even surefires now put out 500 lumens with a single cr123a. And going to the large dies to get the output. Which ruins the throw.
So for me it's lights have gotten too bright for no reason except people think more is better and more valuable.
So now I look for vintage incandescent lights As they were built more for usability and quality instead of outright output

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me I can not longer find any practical lights. I just read a review for a armytek wizard. It's 2400 lumens! 2400! When 240 is plenty. And obviously none of these light can actually keep that output constant. It seems gimmicky. Even surefires now put out 500 lumens with a single cr123a. And going to the large dies to get the output. Which ruins the throw.
So for me it's lights have gotten too bright for no reason except people think more is better and more valuable.
So now I look for vintage incandescent lights As they were built more for usability and quality instead of outright output
What is your current favorite practical light?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't meaning to derail if that what you meant Mr. Fixer.
My point was at this time I feel I have enough lights and no new ones interest me. Because they're so impractical

bykfixer

Flashaholic
No, I was not thinking that at all. I was thinking "man what a cool idea for a thread"……
I agree 100% about your view on the current state of flashlights. Very few pique my interest either, which is why I started this thread.

The quote "that oughta be a thread……and so it is" came from a quote by Sammy Llams (Bodeans singer) who told his producer one day "she's looking for me somewhere" (talking about Emmy Lou Harris) and his producer T-Bone Burnett said "hey that oughta be a song"…… Sammy replied "and so it is"……the song "Lookin' for me Somewhere" was bourn out of it.
I just listened to it a little while ago, which prompted the previous post.

Last edited: