When was the last time you actually needed to use a flash light for 7 or more hours

The Hawk

Enlightened
Haven't needed it yet but the 2019 update to an old classic, the Maglite 2D classic touts 213 lumens for 17 hours on high. 213 lumens don't sound like much these days but 53,000+ candella says it's a bright one. No parasitic drain like the ML series lights means it can be stored without worrying if you remembered to loosen the tailcap.

It has a low setting that looks like a switch turned off much of the spill while the spot stays largely intact. No number is listed at Maglite for it's output on low, be it lumens or candella, but it's kinda hard to tell when it's down shifted to low. Yet it is said to run an amazing 127 hours on low. That's 5 days.
When you are out there in the dark, 213 lumens would be a welcome sight.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Earth Hour is a good time to test out your power failure preps.
This year it is just about five weeks away. March 25th.
The last time I practiced, it was just my one grandson and I at home.
I told him I was going to throw the main circuit breaker OFF in the panel, and we would practice being without power for an hour.
He asked, "Can I watch the end of this TV show first? "
Sure.

"OK now I'm going to turn off the power."
With that the emergency power outage lights came on.
He got up, walked to my bedroom, and grabbed a flashlight.
Went to his bedroom, and tail stood it, changed into his PJs, and went to bed!

billybb

Newly Enlightened
Almost every night. I use one for work and I'll go through two 21700s or three or four 18650s a night just for my head lamp not including the other flashlights.

Before I had any sense I had a headlamp that used two 18650s in parallel and then I DIY'd one to use four 18650s in parallel with a long enough cord that I could put the battery holder in my pocket while using the headlamp. It was just a cheap plastic amazon one, and that lasted like one night and I took the headlamp off and all of the plastic lens in front of the emitters and a good bit of the rest of it had melted on my head while I was using it. So it was just like a clump of half melted plastic with still working LEDs on it. Didn't even notice until I took it off.

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
Almost every night. I use one for work and I'll go through two 21700s or three or four 18650s a night just for my head lamp not including the other flashlights.

Before I had any sense I had a headlamp that used two 18650s in parallel and then I DIY'd one to use four 18650s in parallel with a long enough cord that I could put the battery holder in my pocket while using the headlamp. It was just a cheap plastic amazon one, and that lasted like one night and I took the headlamp off and all of the plastic lens in front of the emitters and a good bit of the rest of it had melted on my head while I was using it. So it was just like a clump of half melted plastic with still working LEDs on it. Didn't even notice until I took it off.
Wow

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lost power for almost two weeks year before last, but even then I only really used a little Thrunight Ti3 (I think that's the model) on moonlight mode to navigate the apartment and use the kitchen or bathroom, as both spaces were inclosed with no ambient light.

I had plenty of other lights stashed and ready, but I never had a need.

This is also why I keep a mix of low output, long-running lights mixed with higher output lights in my emergency stash.

TPA

Enlightened
Generators are wonderful things to have, especially auto-start with an auto-transfer switch.

Unfortunately, they're mechanical, and you can't always count on them to start when you need them.

Case in point, my own 50kW generator which refuses to start for some reason. I tried a new battery, but that didn't help:

20221112_161626.jpg

So... that sucked..

Safe to say, it's been A LOT of battery operated lights for the past few months for me, mostly lanterns. Primary (Alkaline) batteries rule in a situation like this. 18650/21700's are great, but in a situation like this they're useless. As time has moved on and things are rebuilt, rechargeables start to become more practical.

Long runtimes are key here, far moreso than features. Also, high CRI & warm/neutral color temperatures go a LONG way to making a very messed-up situation feel more civilized.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Wow! Sorry about your loss. I hope you had insurance coverage.

3 D cell lanterns at less than 300 lumens typically run a long time. At 100 lumens or less, they run for a really long time.

I agree, that they should be in one's emergency lighting kit.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a site where a storm knocked out power for 26 consecutive days. The facility was about to be decommissioned so the owners decided not to spend the money on renting a generator but needed security onsite. Most of the facility was underground so no daylight to be found. We had a crew of 3 running 12 hour shifts on site at all times for the 26 days. One lantern in the room we used as our office, a couple of glowsticks to mark important area. 3 issued maglites I upgraded with terralux led drop ins. I cant even imagine how many D cells we went through on that job. It was a flashoholics wet dream!
Where can I apply!!!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Public service replaced the meters in my house and had to kill the power. It took less than 10 minutes for the outage. I kept the circuit breaker off when they left and turned it back on when the neighbors came home.
We lost power after a storm for about an hour. The circuit breakers tripped for some reason and I didn't realize the power came back on for an hour after that. I didn't turn the breakers back on until later that night when my wife got fed up and texted the landlord about the power. I told her to check the breakers (she needs the practice). Power was back on for a total of a 4 hour outage. So technically, my power was off for more than 7 hours for 2 outages. It sucks being in a densely populated area. We're always the first to get power back

3_gun

Enlightened
I find I hit LVP before I get to 7hrs unless I knew before hand to bring a fulling charged heavy hitter to the outing. Didn't have a big day planned today or expect the location to so poorly lighted. My Wurkkos ts10 started stepping down after around 90min. I did have a 2nd light in my back pack in the car & a 3rd light in the glove box so all was not lost, if needed. [+the ones w/leatherman & keys] The 14500 battery was at 3.0 when put on the charger & my D4k DC was in my pocket. For all its good points it doesn't clip to a ball cap as well as the TS10

pumps

Newly Enlightened
Had a recent 40 hour neighborhood blackout.
I had lights tail standing in living room, kitchen, both bathrooms and basement.
Were you in my neighborhood? I'm just glad the weather wasn't too hot or too cold. I used my Duro 30 day, lots of different lights. D cell Maglight with diffuser and on and on.We had a decent AM/FM/Weather radio and some Anker battery packs to keep the phone charged so we did ok. And the Coleman stove.

The Hawk

Enlightened
Well gang, it finally happened. We lost power for five days this past week. Friday's storm created winds of 80 mph here in Louisville, KY. It knocked a tree into a utility pole, which caused our electricity to go out. It was five days before the utility company replaced the pole and restored out power. Needless to say, we were very pleased to have a stash of flashlights. Our little Honda generator powered out freezer and fridge. Luckily, the weather was not very cold (or hot) and our vent free gas logs gave us enough heat to make it comfortable.

klmmicro

Newly Enlightened
During the storm that we experienced the last week of February, we lost power for a night and ended up having to rely on our headlamps as we tended our livestock in the snows. My headlamp will provide me about 5 hours of light on the #2 brightness and I have several 3000mah 18650 cells charged at all times for it. This is not the first time I have used my lamp for the long haul, I use mine extensively for night work.

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
For 9 hours every night we use a AAA tailstanded on less than 1/2 lumen as our bathroom night light. It gives way less light than any other regular night light. A rechargeable AAA lasts over a week.

About 6 months ago, on the patio for dinner, I hung a 6p with 3500 mAH 18650 with a Malkoff M61Wl as our picnic table lantern. The guests just wouldn't leave so it was running about 6 hours straight. Rather than change the battery when the output began to noticeably run lower, i just let them get the idea that it was dark and they should go home.

Last edited:

klmmicro

Newly Enlightened
I am an appliance technician and I work on high end ranges occasionally. I had a light made for me by ShiningBeam that ran off a single 18650 cell and I would set it in the appliance aimed at whatever I would be working on, usually on the lowest setting. I knew that this light was a sipper of power and I would have to charge the cell only about once a month under normal use for me.

Had a call to work on a range, the last call of my day, used my light as I normally would. I finish the job and head home. The next morning I get a call from the customer letting me know that one of the LEDS on the front of the unit was indicating that the unit was stuck in SELF CLEAN...the LED would not shut off no matter what they did, but they tested the unit and everything actually seemed to be working fine...just the indicator light on the front panel of the range was illuminated all the time...

Getting ready for the work day, I checked my tool bag to discover my flashlight missing! It all fell into place, I had left the light in the unit and it was turned on still. I called that customer and asked them to shut the unit off at the breaker...they did and "oh, the SELF CLEAN light is still on!" I explained that it was my flashlight and I would be back out at my earliest to remove it, telling them that it would likely run out of power and shut off on its own soon. It was a full week before I could get back out there and when I arrived...the light was still going strong! When I got home I tossed the cell in my charger and found it holding 3.9VDC still...the tailcap safety cutoff is 3.6VDC. The light would have kept on for at least 3 or 4 more days!

Guess that might count as a long haul?

The lights we have today are insanely efficient and they will stay lit for weeks at the lower levels.

That sounds awesome for flashlight use, but I imagine that an OSHA inspector would not be amused by that owner's decision to have an occupied underground facility with no lighting!

(if that was outside the U.S. though, well I get it... different story depending on where it is in the world)
Speaking of OSHA, an occupied underground structure also requires active ventilation. The fine would have been more than the cost to rent a generator...