when will rolex knocks be better then the rolex?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man ive been checking out watch vids online its amazeing how good the fakes are but lol i cant even afford a fake

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You know I was watching stuff on fake watches also. The time and engineering they put into them you would think they would still be very expensive to make.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rolex makes some mechanically excellent watches but to most people who buy them they are purely a status symbol. They care more about the brand & image then the watch itself.
As a result, the only one these people are fooling when buying fakes are themselves. So to answer your question: Never.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
id never wear a rolex .on the streets i grew up thats like wearing a sign that reads come rob me lol. but i may save up for a seiko 5. looks like a lot of watch for 1 hudred bucks

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing wrong with a Seiko 5 as long as one is aware of the movements limitations. Its a classic that's been going for decades & easily serviceable by any watchmaker. I think the newer movements are hacking & can be hand wound, so that's good. If you're getting one, make sure its got one of those newer movements.
Id personally go with something like an ETA 2824 or 2836 in the budget range if I had the choice.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i doubt ill ever have enugh for one. but i like my casio for now one week and it didnt loose or gain any time

raggie33

*the raggedier*
btw im very ocd about time never been late in my life.. i make sure my watch is with in 1 second of what time it is

Ultrageuss

Newly Enlightened
Haha, I get what you mean! Wearing a Rolex in certain neighborhoods might attract some unwanted attention. It's funny how perception works sometimes. But you're onto something; opting for a more discreet luxury watch from a site like replicarichardmille.io could be a smart move. After all, staying safe while still enjoying your style is what it's all about!

Last edited:

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Rolex Submariner in 2004 with part of my inheritance after my folks passed. I'd always wanted one and figured they weren't getting cheaper, so I took the plunge. The Rolex is a great watch, but it really isn't the watch you want if you need to keep accurate time; because it relies on movement to keep it wound if you're sedentary too long the watch will slow down and lose time. I find mine loses about a minute or two a month. I've taken to winding mine before bed. I love it but it was less than I had expected.

Attachments

• z3NAR2Y[1].jpg
    z3NAR2Y[1].jpg
    381 KB · Views: 30

TPA

Enlightened
When will Rolex fakes be better? When they use Seiko movements!

Rolex has the brand recognition and status symbol to the general public. Seiko makes the better watch.

Not that Rolex makes a bad watch by any means. A friend has his grandfather's Rolex from 1954. It still works today. I hand-carried it to Rolex's North American HQ to have it serviced. My family & business have done quite a bit of business and referrals with them, so we usually stop by if in the area. So I brought in this 1954 watch...and...the whole place stopped and went silent. Everyone came over to see it. They then started pulling all sorts of literature and gave a detailed history lesson on the watch. They serviced it free, and it appeared this was the first time the watch had ever been serviced. When I picked it up a week later, it looked almost new. They could have made it completely new, but said it'd affect the value of the watch...which ended up being quite substantial.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd say soon.
The best fakes out there, you have to open the caseback, and be a very experienced independent watchmaker who almost exclusively works on Rolex watches; in order to tell the best fakes from the real thing.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wanted a rolex till i heard there not as accurate as my casio lol. but then again i have zero class. id have to dress nicer to even be classless

bykfixer

Flashaholic
i wanted a rolex till i heard there not as accurate as my casio lol. but then again i have zero class. id have to dress nicer to even be classless
From the factory they're very very very acurate. They can become not as acurate like any mechanical watch but unless something catastrophic happened they can be made acurate again.

I know people who obsess about a watch being 5 seconds a month off. A 1/2 second is ok but 5? Nope, not good enough. And a fake Rolex would not be as acurate as the real one from the start.

People tend to put the name Rolex up on a throne while others throw stones at them. Me? I don't want one but do understand they make some dam fine wrist watches.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Your average Casio is quartz. Rolex at one point made quartz models, but that was many long years ago. Nowadays they make mechanical/automatic watches. While those can be regulated to rather tight COSC standards, they'll never be as accurate as a decent quartz movement. Just the nature of the beast.

You don't buy a Rolex if you need an accurate watch. You buy one to show off to others. You pay an obscenely huge premium just for the name alone. At one point, if you needed an excellent Tool watch, you bought a Rolex or a Smiths. But Rolex hasn't been a dedicated Tool watch brand since the end of the 1970s.

During the war in 'Nam the PX's sold Rolex's for a few hundred dollars as field watches to soldiers. These were more on par with the current "Explorer" rather than the Sky Dweller or Daytona, of course. However, the much more "lowly" Zodiac brand was vastly preferred by the troops. I believe it was the vintage model of the Sea Wolf, a current version of which is still in production.

My go-to watches are the Marathon GSAR and the G-Shock Squares. Still, I might jump at the chance to own an "honestly-priced" Rolex Explorer if such an unlikelihood ever again transpired. Not for the snob appeal, though. I simply appreciate the engineering and craftsmanship. If I didn't work on Sundays, I'd "stand in line" for a Smith's as well, but they sell out like Pink Floyd tickets.

Engineering, nostalgia, and pedigree aside, however, it is noteworthy that the $20 "Casio Royale" (AE1200) in my modest collection gains about 1 second every 3 months! :grin2:

Last edited:

ItnStln

Newly Enlightened
When will Rolex fakes be better? When they use Seiko movements!

Rolex has the brand recognition and status symbol to the general public. Seiko makes the better watch.

Not that Rolex makes a bad watch by any means. A friend has his grandfather's Rolex from 1954. It still works today. I hand-carried it to Rolex's North American HQ to have it serviced. My family & business have done quite a bit of business and referrals with them, so we usually stop by if in the area. So I brought in this 1954 watch...and...the whole place stopped and went silent. Everyone came over to see it. They then started pulling all sorts of literature and gave a detailed history lesson on the watch. They serviced it free, and it appeared this was the first time the watch had ever been serviced. When I picked it up a week later, it looked almost new. They could have made it completely new, but said it'd affect the value of the watch...which ended up being quite substantial.
Well said! My Seiko keeps better time than my Breitling and Omega automatic watches.

Reactions: TPA

Latest posts