Where can I buy a Luxeon star/C?

Joshua

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. I just go my Luxeon star/O from Ebay a while back. But I was wondering how I can get my hands on a Luxeon Star/C. I read on Craigs website that the white star/C has a very nice white/blue-white/purple beam. I guess almost like a HID light. Does anyone know where I can purchase 1? I just need one and the websites I looked at needed a minimum order. Thanks!

Jonathan

Enlightened
The LS/O, LS/C, LS emitters, etc all use the exact same emitters, just with different mounting (or lack of mounting).

There is some variation in the output and color of the Luxeon LEDs, which means that some will have better color qualities than others, and it is pretty much luck which you get.

The LS/C is the emitter mounted on a board with a connector. It doesn't have the collimating optics that the LS/O has.

http://www.markhannasurplus.com has stock for quantity 1.

http://www.future-active.com has better prices, but a $25 minimum order. (Note: check stock and part number on the web page, but _call_ to place the order. You will often get better pricing.)

-Jon

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joshua, I concur with Jonathan. I have had some extremely fine LS/O samples with that very desirable blue/white quality (bought from Arc sometime ago).

I also have about 30 LS/Cs, and while most of them are very bright and blue-white, color variations among them are still visible. Some of the ones I ordered came on a 4x4 panel. I broke the panel in half leaving me with a 4x2 panel, which I soldered together in a series-parallel config. When all LEDs were lit by a Xitanium regulated-current driver, you could see with your naked eye the differences between each LED, even if they were assembled side-by-side on the same panel.

So, unless you want that connector that comes onboard the LS/C, its still a crapshoot. At least with the LS/O, you get the optics - a very useful item! Or wait for the high-domes, which seem to exhibit very good color characteristics, according to some early adopters here.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hotfoot, I would love to see pictures of what you've got connected to the Xitanium driver and more info on what you're using it for!

I can't start any new projects right now as I've got a couple of big delivery dates coming up I've got to meet. But I've been eyeing the Xitanium boxen for lighting projects as well. I haven't called them up, so I don't even know the ballpark price of them yet though. I'd love to hear what you paid for that also.

Thanks,
James

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by James S:
Hotfoot, I would love to see pictures of what you've got connected to the Xitanium driver and more info on what you're using it for!

I can't start any new projects right now as I've got a couple of big delivery dates coming up I've got to meet. But I've been eyeing the Xitanium boxen for lighting projects as well. I haven't called them up, so I don't even know the ballpark price of them yet though. I'd love to hear what you paid for that also.

Thanks,
James
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">James, I can't put up pix of everything I work on with the xitaniums, but what about this baby which I did for the heckuva it:

4x2_LSC_flood.jpg

Its a weatherproof portable flood light that hooks up to a 230VAC 700ma xitanium (not pictured). I'm still looking for a suitable enclosure for the xitanium to fit to the back of the light. If you like, e-mail me for info on the stuff I can't put up here
smile.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by shipinretech:
Hotfoot,

I like this idea a lot, although I have some ideas of how to make it happier.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Patrick, I caught your PM to me - reply sent.
(BTW, that reply was sent *before* I saw this post)
smile.gif