Where can I buy ...

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris:

You don't want a 6.0 V Halogen bulb unless you intend to drive it with 5 rechargeable or alkaline cells for a lower amperage bulb and 6 rechargeables for a higher amperage bulb. Is that your intent?

The reason is that the voltage drop from 4 alkaline cells would make the 6.0 V bulb very disappointing.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, if I understand you correctly, if I use a 6v Halogen bulb, I have to drive it with 5 rechargeable or 5 Duracell/Energizers, right?

If so, no, my intent was for only 4 alkalines. So, what bulb do I need instead?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,
You need to get a lamp for a 6V light. It will probably be between 4.8 & 5.5V. Krypton bulbs will be around 4.8V. The Halagon's will be a higher rateing. Try the 3D Krypton with 4 used, but not run down, alkalines. TX

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both a 5.2v Halogen and a 4.8 Krypton/Xenon. I can try both of them but I'll just have to remember to only use the 4.8 on used alkalines.

So, I don't need to worry about getting an actual 6v bulb?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,
The 4.8V & 5.2V bulbs are made for 6V lights with fresh alkalines, so don't worry about the used batteries. It's the 3D Krypton bulb you need to worry about. This bulb is only 3.8V so you're really overdriveing it, but you get a great output. It works good on rechargables & less than new alkalines. If you use them in something else until they get down to less than 1.5 (a new alkaline may read 1.6V+), it should be fine. In fact, use one of the other bulbs you mentioned until you notice the beam just start to yellow, then switch to the 3D Krypton. TX

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool...thanks for the info. It's always so nice when you can take one average or above average torch, swap out bulbs and make it even better!!