Where did all the oldtimers go.

83Venture

Enlightened
I was one of the people who lurked for a couple of years before signing up, like quite a few others I Found CPF through Craigs site. :)

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'll be workin on the railroad, all the live-long day-ay-ay-ay...

1.6 years and counting.
one thousand, one hundred and twenty two posts and counting.

Wow.

--neg

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the others said, I remember when I could catch up on all the posts in one sitting. Because of CPF, I got my first "real" flashlight the Surefire 8nx, then the E2 and it was downhill from there.

Now I mostly browse "The Cafe" and see if anything catches my eye on the "new posts" link.

cy

Flashaholic
was refered to cpf for info concerning world's first production luxeon light.

of course it was Peter Gransee's Arc LS first run of 100 units. I got on the list, but didn't join cpf until much later.

due to miscomunication on my part missed out on an original first run. of course much later, much regretted not joining cpf way back then.

while digging thru cpf, came across Craig (ledmuseum) fell extremely ill and cpf members went thru great lengths to make sure Craig was OK.

was totally amazed at what cpf'er would do to help a fellow cpf'er in need.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this place through flashlightreviews and haven't been afraid of the dark since.

cy said:
not really an old timer, but starting to feel burn-out...

Me too. I've been feeling this for a few months now.

I guess my sentiments echo Chris M when I suddenly realized how much money I'm blowing on this hobby/addiction when the next light isn't really much better than the last.

Wow, I'm member 3482. We're now at 11,500 in just the 2 years that I've been here. Didn't Sasha purge a lot of inactive members during the software upgrade? I'm pretty sure I'm not that old.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Wow, this is a cool thread. Some old-timer names are familiar, others I don't even recognize. :)

It'd be cool to know how your involvement with CPF was changed/evolved since you joined. Me, I'm switching back to modding/tinkering :)

Vee3

Enlightened
They probably realised that they were spending way too much time/energy/money on something that doesn't really mean a whole lot in life.

I came to that point on the firearm forums. Guns are great and all, but my cats often give me more daily satisfaction. They're alive. Family and friends are much more important than internet foums (Or cats)...

Size15's

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
Wow, this is a cool thread. Some old-timer names are familiar, others I don't even recognize. :)

DR. EVIL (slightly distracted)
"Some of you I know, some of you I'm meeting for the first time."

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still like to pop in every few weeks to see whats new and exciting when I have some extra cash in my bank account. I think the main reasons I haven't been on as much is because 1) work 2) Battlefield 2 :)

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
...been here almost four years now! I'm FINALLY about to go over 1000 posts! A lot of times my posting comes in spurts, but I'm usually around AT LEAST once a day. I was lead here while buying my first "real" LED flashlight (an EternaLight Rav'n 2) back in'02, and haven't looked back since! Like you, I like to see postings from some of the REAL old-timers like Brock and others...it makes CPF keep feeling like "home"! In spite of some of the "upheavels" we've had over the last year or so, I STILL think it's the best open forum on the internet!

PJD

cy

Flashaholic
for me, it's been an amazing two years with 5,000+ posts.

I've taken a lot from cpf, but have tried my best to give back. Have always been amazed at time generously given to produce fabulous posts with loads of pictures.

beamshots series by kessiling sticks out as some of the nicest work generously given to community of cpf.

Al must have largest Surefire collection outside of Surefire :D Craig must have spent countless hours putting his site together.

Larry's meticulous attention to detail results in finest example of lights anywhere. Don's fertile mind seems to be non-stop in producing new inovations. Peter Gransee brought the timeless Arc LS and Arc AAA to market. JSB pioneered protected R123 li-ion cells.

PK stays in the background, but you can feel his influence in many products. Wayne, MJ, Georges80, DougS, DJpark have made bleeding edge designs actually available to purchase......

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who was/is the "Ultimate Old Timer" #1

The founder-creator of CPF (or was it a small group)

Anyone know the story: Got to be a story there.
Bet allot of newbies & oldtimers would like to hear!

P.S. I thought CPF was much older.
My CJ 7 is a 1984!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Still here and closing in on three years. There's fewer lights that I want now (should be after all I've bought), but my interest is still there. The new lights coming down the pike should be better than ever.

Geoff

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still gamely hanging in there. I think much of the "burn out" is because of the waning new product fever that typically, and joyfully, grips the CPF community. The question for me is, do I still enjoy using, modding and optimizing my flashlight collection daily? For me, the answer is still yes, so onwards and upwards...

Besides, the next big product, be it led, incan, battery, etc, anxiously awaits us all...

nightgaunt

Newly Enlightened
I, too, remeber when MM sandwiches were the best! I haven't been around too long, but I've come-and-gone in spurts. Seen and learned a lot! I really respect and admire a lot of the "oldtimers" and the knowledge they have brought to CPF...hope to see more folks stick around!!

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could it be "forum disease"?

After people have been on a forum for awhile, somebody gets into an argument with somebody else, namecalling begins, everybody gets mad and stomps away in disgust, leaving the newbies wondering what just went on. I've seen it in every forum I've been on.

Of course people DO get tired of talking about lights and decide to go somewhere to talk about bikes or knives or watches or whatever...

Size15's

Flashaholic
There was a story about CPF Member No.1
It was no assigned for a long time.

As for stomping away of the oldtimers:
:awman:
Why didn't they tell me?!
I can stomp!!