Where did all the oldtimers go.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Wilkey, I'm still going strong. (CPF is what I have left of a family, afterall.) I wish I had the opportunity to meet you in person at the last two milkeyspit get-togethers I was lucky enough to to attend! You pioneered some good stuff here! I understand we all move on eventually. :(

Larry

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd said:
Wilkey, I'm still going strong. (CPF is what I have left of a family, afterall.) I wish I had the opportunity to meet you in person at the last two milkeyspit get-togethers I was lucky enough to to attend! You pioneered some good stuff here! I understand we all move on eventually. :(

Larry

Hi Larry,

I share your sentiments. I just don't check in here much anymore. But if someone makes a note of contacting me for the next one, I'll bring all my "legacy lights." Maybe we can even get Jim Sexton to drive on down.

Sometimes it feels pretty darn strange rummaging through the old parts bins.

Wilkey

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really an oldtimer (2874 being my member number if I remember correctly). Haven't been hugely active of late. Mainly due to being very busy with work, and my main enthusiasm at the moment being on the historic lighting and lamp collecting (it shifts from that to flashlight collecting and back again periodically). Plus I'm in the process of adding a lot of my collection to my site - and that all takes time!

Still here, just quiet a lot of the time.

CiTY

Enlightened
I would think I'm a "mid" timer. Same old stuff, life got busy (new born). I don't have the time to read all the post like I used too. When I check in, I just read a few topics.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hiya everyone. Yeah, I'm still around, poking my nose in now and then.

Pretty busy these days though - new family addition, for starters..

B@rt

Flashaholic
Graham said:
Pretty busy these days though - new family addition, for starters..

congratsani2ln.gif
:grin2:

arab

Enlightened
Hi there from 252,

I joined in September '01 but was never a very prolific poster. Like Graham (Hi Graham!) things upset me a little some time ago and I lost (most of my) interest.

Bad memories include (the now departed) Davidw telling us all to, eh, go away. I was also very sad at the treatment handed out to Peter when ARC started going under - I thought the CPF was bigger than that.

But I also remember the good times. Using the search function to check my history I came across these 2 threads that I started:

My first serious mod (includes changing an LED light into a surf board):
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6210

And the shock exposure that Darell and Saaby were the same person !!!
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14242

Maybe things were less serious then. And Graham, I see that you contributed to both of these threads - although the links to your most famous G-clamp always-on facility are broken :-(

Yes, I also find I don't have the time for such threads anymore. No 3 due anyday now ...

All the best for the future.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, Bart.

Ahh, the G-Clamp. Yes, brings back memories. When men were men and mods were, um, wierd.
Just went back and fixed the links, for the sake of, well, no good reason really..

For the sake of the young 'uns, here are the examples of the application of high technology we used to facilitate an always-on feature in the original Freelight:

Hmm, looks like Darell broke his image links too. Of course, his Freelight mod casts mine into shadow..

The sleek, aerodynamic version:
flmod2.jpg

The heavy duty version:
flmod4.jpg

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Now we're cooking!!! :crackup: This was back when we took this art serious!! And yes, sheep were afraid!

Graham,
Your pics reminded me of my attempt at efficient and practical tactical pocket power:

TIDs.jpg

Blind 'em with your choice of a NewBeam or ArcAAA and then follow up with the "punch"! :thumbsup:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Sheep Lie!

I don't consider myself an old timer. I got to meet DavidW at the SHOT Show before last. I find it difficult to believe the poster above me only predates me by seven months! :nana: We are all lucky for the progress in personal illumination tools that has ocurred in the last three years! May it continue! (The speed bumps do make for some entertainment!)

Larry

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes, Don has come up with some truly innovative designs. Many of his early ideas were the subject of much discussion, not to mention excuses for Darell to make silly posts. Actually, I think Darell made the silly posts regardless..

In fact, one of Don's double-ended jobbies motivated me to come up with this, after literally seconds of painstaking research and development:

Behold, the 4AA dual colour Arc LS:

dblarc2.jpg

Who needs fancy metal lathes and milling stuff when you have double sided tape and no pride?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Graham. Darell hasn't changed, and Don suggested I mod my Beast. I oblighed with some duct tape and a bunch of small lights taped around the bezel. :D (pic's long gone. :( ) I sincerely wish I had found the place earlier!

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Damn Graham! Good to see you back here!!! :nana:

2X-123-LS.jpg

Larry, the problem is when the sheep refuse to lie! :green:

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Baaaaah.

Good to see you too Don. I must say I've missed a lot of the sillyness which went on around here..

Larry - duct tape is what modding is all about, I reckon. All this fancy stuff with machined bodies and custom circuit boards and reflectors is over-rated, I say.

In fact, that pic of my 2-headed Arc LS is version 2. Version 1 utilised that other staple item of the true modder and DIYer, black electrical tape.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who are u calling oldtimers, I would say earlier flashaholics LOL.

I would like to thank CPF for being such a nice place to hang out, even if I dont post much, I love to lurk around and see what is happening.

I remember being a number less than 50 on the old forum.

Glad to have found this place almost 5 years ago.

AlexGT

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey guys ... nice to see ya all post again ... even if it's only for a little "good old days melancholia" :D :D :wave:

And nope, Darell hasn't really changed. There once was hope, but it long vanished with the winds ... :sick2: :D

bernie

MY

Enlightened
I guess as Member # 133, I am probably one of the older timers. I concur with most of what has already been said in the previous posts. I also found CPF through Brock's site. I remember my first real LED - one of the handmade Eternalights - and it blew me away. I tried getting one of HDS's headlights but they were always out of stock - a sign of things to come for desirable lights. At one time, my wife threatened bodily harm since I was spending so much time on the board. This was when Peter was just about to release the LS and I had to have one. I fondly remember Saaby, Telephony, Darrel, Peter G. and others as we bantered back and forth about nothing in particular. I eagerly posted my adventures to far off corners of the world and how my lights performed.

But now this family's growing pains have made many move on. After the ARC-HDS-Peak, Mr. Bulk-TW soap operas, it was quite evident that the gentel nature of the past has matured into something that is now new to me. In fact, whenever I get the chance to log on to the board, I feel as if I am the newbie. Not only have the names changed, but the topics are new, the lights are new, and the discussions are more serious in nature.

Perhaps it is me that has changed.

I still enjoy the time I spend on CPF but it is now entertainment whereas in the past, it was much more than that.

Regards.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling expressed my sentiments, too. Many of the old timers were still around when I joined and I miss the regulars who no longer appear - thanks for giving us one more post.

The CPF has changed as rapidly as the technology that spawned it.

nightshade

Enlightened
Its been good to see many of the names here, I've enjoyed and learned from many of the posts by Graham, Wylie, Shankus and many others. Thanks to you all, don't be a stranger. :)

Wylie

Enlightened
:wave:
I thought people would be taking about how a fish had got the best of me by now.
Still kicking here!
Keepin it real Bright,
Wylie