Where did all the oldtimers go.

rodfran

Enlightened
I lurked for a while before I joined. I would read about what forum members would have to say about certain lights before I would purchase one.

Well, I'm still using all of my "old" modded flashlights. I have had only one fail in all the years and the modder repaired it for me, no problem. With the invention of low self discharge Nimhs, I trust they will last for a very long time.

Some of the AAA led lights that are made now put out more light than a standard D cell incandescent Maglite.

nbp

Flashaholic
What a cool thread. :grin2:

I have been here nearly 2 years and I feel like I just joined. I so wish that I had been around in the earlier days to experience what the old timers describe. But, maybe someday I'll feel old too.

It amazes me that in the past two years the membership has more than doubled. My number 35583 seems low compared to the 77720 total memberships. :faint:

I'm glad to see the old members are still around and active, and I hope they stay around to share their knowledge. There are pieces of CPF history I haven't even scratched the surface of yet. :thinking:

It also makes me a bit sad to hear how the evolution of the forum has turned away a few. :eek: I can certainly understand how the size of the group now has taken away some of the family feel of the community. But I hope that this group can stay warm and friendly and inviting for years to come and bring smiles and light to members' lives. And I hope that I am around awhile to learn from the oldies and pass on the wisdom to the newbies. :)

Thanks CPF. lovecpf

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
It amazes me that in the past two years the membership has more than doubled. My number 35583 seems low compared to the 77720 total memberships.
When I joined, I was member 640 or so. I thought to myself, "I'll never catch up".:welcome:

After a few years, I became inactive for about a year. So much had changed that I thought "so much has evolved, I'll never catch up". :twothumbs

BTW, all new posts for the day could be read in about an hour. Try that now and tell me how long it took you.

I see that I am now member 235 after the purge. Oh for a 2 digit member number.

Last edited:

Super Tico

Newly Enlightened
They probably don't have computers or internet anymore after The Wifey's found the flashlight receipts:hairpull: while trying to balance the budget for the " Post Change Era".:D

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came to CPF after reading many reviews on Craig's site (LED Museum).

Upon my arrival at CPF, I was warmly welcomed by Darell and Ryan (Saaby). Thank you for your warm welcome and I believe you set a standard concerning behavior and attitude. I have tried to conduct myself accordingly.

I came in search of better IR illumination... and ended up testing batteries - go figure... :)

When I grow up, I hope to aspire to being an old geezer, :nana: but for now, I am simply a teste... :D

Tom

Aspire to be an old geezer???
Sir, I say you have mastered that! :nana:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I think the size of the board has expanded enough that some of the old-timers get lost. If I tried to keep up on all of the forums and sub forums and the market place and the underground and ......

Well, enough said.

So I make it a point to check out the machining sub-forum frequently, with forays into the other areas only when I have lots of extra time.

Daniel

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I've been busy! Just returned from another 425 mile Hawthorne, NV moving trip. My 5 tanklights went this trip, and I am in the middle of building the "mother" of all workbenches! I scored three 16 foot lengths of 2" thick rock maple bowling alley lane which I ripped to size. I'll have 28' down the left wall and another 15' across the rear. I'll haul my shop crane up there Sunday and finish it.

I guess I'm an oldtimer too. (In more ways than one :D ) The light collection and electronics, etc is all moved, but still in boxes. the mill and lathe will take a while do to work that remains at both ends. If I'm lucky (not dead :D ) I should be wearing new plates on the truck in November.

Like I said, I've been busy!

Larry

cy

Flashaholic
wow.. Larry ... so you finally did make the move...
hope all goes well in your new abode!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still around, but mostly lurking these days. This place just got too big for me. Funny thing is I joined in 9/11/02. Kind of strange.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've been busy! Just returned from another 425 mile Hawthorne, NV moving trip.

Larry! Glad to hear from you. Been trying to get a hold of you for ages. There's a bag of morning juice with your name on it. Could you e-mail me your mailing addy?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hi Greenhopper,

You just made my mouth water, but I don't have a coffee maker at either end. :( . I have a feces-load of freq flyer miles expiring end of the year and might spend a few days checking out C.R. EM is t**o**[email protected]. :D (Had to sift through over a hundred spams when I returned today!!!)

Migs, after this last move, I'm going to need a vaca!!!

Larry

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still try to take the time when I can an answer newbie question, even though they can be repetitive. I remember being the newbie myself, and finding all this quite astonishing.

Illum

Flashaholic
I think CPF changed its theme somewhere along the way from using flashlights for personal curiosity in the build and performace relative to daily usage into using flashlights as a vehicle to chase technology, which produced an abundant variety of different LED lights, many of them only seen as old technology after the new LED comes across the corner

The old CPF I knew had very little of "New LED" threads and even fewer "recommend me..." or "x versus y" threads. When NewBie was around I've enjoyed reading the technical threads and experimental discussions but now we know how that ended.

My impression of the old old cpf [DavidW, B@rt, Brock, Kiessling days] is a quiet little forum in which people congregated socially, lights was a common ground hobby, not a common ground mode of competition. There was more respect, less arguments...even less on arguing brand names.

Times have really changed hasn't it:green:

kaseri

Enlightened
I'm still here. I don't post as much as I used to but I still read through all threads that spark my interest and I'm still a flashaholic.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
What is the cut off date for "oldtimers"? And how old do you have to be to qualify. :nana::nana:

Bill