Where did all the oldtimers go.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Do I qualify as an old-timer around here? :thinking: .... (be VERY careful how you answer that... :p)

<----- Member #548
I think you qualify as an old-timer, and since I won (along with Mr. Ted Bear) the award for longest-serving member in attendance at the 2014 CPF SHOT Show Get-Together, my opinion should carry SOME weight in this matter (although maybe not in others).

<-------- Member # 56

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe... I'm a CPF Early-Mid Timer! Love it. Thank you. :)

#7568, ~1/4 of mine. :wave:
Thanks, Kestrel, and the rest! All this time I had no idea the answer was a mouse hover away. :ohgeez:

LOL, Bimbo, its the spell checker that gave you that moniker. :p
Hahaha... yup. It knew you were replying to me. When was that... '08 or so? Scary.

I remember the boomer days well
Yes. Everything you mentioned, and a whole lot more. Going down memory lane now.

That's it... I'm breaking out my POP3 TWOJ sammie!

Do I qualify as an old-timer around here? :thinking: .... (be VERY careful how you answer that... :p)
No worries. You don't look a day over... 548?? :aaa:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Hello Kelly,

With that number you may be the oldest "old-timer" around. You are much "older" than I am... :)

What's that?

Oh Oh, someone is throwing old dead leaking Alkaline batteries at me. Time to crawl back into my hole. :devil:

Actually I object to this thread. We should be called the "most sophisticated" or something like that...

Tom

How about instead of Old Timers..... Bold Timers ;)

Barefootone

Enlightened

Beamhead,

I wanted to chime in on what you have written here. You have brought back many memories for me. Back in the day I built my own one-off light.

Here is a list of the components I bought from Wayne Yamaguchi at the Sandwich shop.

Order #2845 (Shipped)
Order Date: Thursday 01 July, 2004Order Total: $157.25

ProductsBaseFinal
1 xDownboy 400mA Stepdown Converter Board-Rev. 2
Option's
$13.00$13.00
1 xMcLux Power Pack-EN plated (3X123)
Option's
$51.00$51.00
1 xSwivel + oring for lanyard
Option's
$6.00$6.00
1 xMcLux PR Head Kit (Anodized Black)
Option's
$45.00$45.00
1 xWhite 5W Lambertian (HD) LXHL-PW03 V
Option's
$30.00$30.00
1 xArctic Alumina Adhesive (2 Part Epoxy)
Option's
$6.80$6.80
pixel_trans.gif
pixel_trans.gif

Sub-Total:$151.80
United States Postal Service (1 x 0.905lbs) (Priority Mail (2 Days)):$5.45
Total:$157.25
The crowning touch was the 5W Lambertian HD (High Dome) LXHL-PW03 V. This light at the time was probably one that was at the top of the heap. A 5 watt LED was a killer at the time. SureFire had the KL5 HA. This is my light which I still have, but does not see much use. It's a 3x 123A. Notice the component prices. I just wanted to share a piece of this "old timer's" history.
Best to all,
Jeff

[h=1]
JeffsLight4.jpg
JeffsLight.jpg
JeffsLight32.jpg
[/h]

LOL, Bimbo, its the spell checker that gave you that moniker. :p

Your post caused me to reminisce, I joined a few months before you but had lurked for at least a year before making it official. I remember the boomer days well, the Luxeon lottery, cat urine green, sudden cell death syndrome, a 100 lumen LED being unobtainium, arguing whether a WA/WO/YO/XO tint was best, the Nuwai Q3, finding out that due to the heat created the lifespan of the Lux V was lowered from 50k hours to just 500. I remember paying $95 for a Luxeon light engine only to :poof: it by running it on a 168s Li-ion cell which is now called a 17670?

I feel privileged to have witnessed the early pioneers on this board, many who are now still doing well and deservedly so, one who started the whole High CRI movement via his thoughts and experimenting and made lights out of Titanium just because, another who at least helped invent the RCR123, one who introduced the first readily available 1x AA Luxeon light, one who made lights smaller than CR123 cells and kept lists, the list goes on. I still have a working interior dome light with a Luxeon in my Expedition given to me by a Big Daddy Admin.

Am I an old timer? No, I am getting old but I am proud to be a Bimmer-Boomer and hope to continue to watch the leaps and bounds of tech affect this hobby.
I have no idea what my member# number is.........................:p

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Hey "old + 1 year" friends :wave:

Time passes more quickly and it is now the time to say Happy new Year again :thumbsup:

I hope I could repeat that every years, even if I haven't time to participate more at CPF.

It would be interesting to have news from other friends, I am now CEO of Neolumen, I buy lot of flashlights, but not for me ;)

By the way my number is 624 :nana:

See you next year :wave:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, everything seems so advanced here ! I feel like when I barely made this profile, don't know what's what anymore. Good to see so,e familiar faces here.

carrot

Flashaholic
Hey "old + 1 year" friends :wave:

Time passes more quickly and it is now the time to say Happy new Year again :thumbsup:

I hope I could repeat that every years, even if I haven't time to participate more at CPF.

It would be interesting to have news from other friends, I am now CEO of Neolumen, I buy lot of flashlights, but not for me ;)

By the way my number is 624 :nana:

See you next year :wave:
Old buddy! It has been a long time!