Where do I purchase SST-90 on 12~17mm board??????

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek:

I have been very succesfull at putting XM-L 6T on 12.8mm boards into my Surefire L1's and have got to now try an SST-90.

Do these come in small stars?

All I see is 19~20mm SSR-90 aka SST-90 on Star.

Thank you,
bigC

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I'm not sure a board that small is possible for the SST-90. This is what an SST-50 looks like on a 12.8mm board and it damn near takes up the whole thing.
634286524210630000_med.jpg

Although... the BrightLumens pedestal sink for the SST-90 has a 16mm diameter pedestal, so 16mm should be possible.

CKOD

Enlightened
SST-90 is 11mm by 10mm. Pythagoras says its not fitting on anything under 14.8mm diameter, so you're looking at 15-17mm boards then.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
SST-90 is 11mm by 10mm. Pythagoras says its not fitting on anything under 14.8mm diameter, so you're looking at 15-17mm boards then.

Thank you for the information. Yes; a 15mm to 17mm board should still fit inside a Surefire L1 heatsink.

I would preferably want the 15~17mm Star with SST-90 already mounted or reflowed from the factory.

I found this at Kaidomain and it looks like what I been looking for but the measurements say its almost 2in wide, which cant be. And wholly tolito $56 bucks to boot.
http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11125

It is a Factory dome-free SST-90 with aluminum heatsink vs. the CBT-90 which is identical, but has a massive copper heatsink and cost more. I think so at least.

634269802146410000.JPG

bigC

Last edited:

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
BigC, don't believe the hype - there's no Aluminum heatsink in that picture. I think the product description is incorrect and what they meant to say was that you need to surface mount solder it to an Aluminum heatsink (which you can do with a hotplate/frying pan/etc.) I paid about $50 for my first SST-90 from AVNet, so all things being equal, I guess that's not an outrageous price.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey big C,

I have not found any factory boards for sst-90 that small, but I have put sst-90s in a hand full of E series lights. The best way I have found is to use a slug made from copper bar and solder the LED to that, and then ASE the slug to the heat sink. I'v never tried to use the factory optic with an SST-90 the way you can with XM-L though.

Using the copper slug method in an L1 I pushed one to 14+ amp where I finally discovered the flash point for an SST-90 in that size light LOL!

I have managed to put an SST-90 on a small cree star before, but I dont recommend it. In the small light I put it in(not a surefire) it was ok on a regular 18650 but on a fresh IMR I ended up poofing the led.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mounted SST-90 on XRE heatsink one time, using the same copper pad method.
It can be made into a 14mm "Star" size.

img5304p.jpg

CKOD

Enlightened
Wow, nice find BigC. Just when I was beginning to think the SBT-90's were vaporware.

The exist, but they are a real pain to get, no one stocks them, I normally wouldnt trust the various DX/KD like vendors to actually get the bin I'm getting but you dont have much of a choice otherwise.

jPzVl.jpg

I know these guys are legit though.

Bad case of polyprojectitis though, and these guys will have to wait, hoping I can put one of these handheld spotlight sort of deal, but put an asheric in front of it, so light that would normally miss the reflector and come out as spill hit the lens and come out focused too.

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
I've been looking for the SBT-90 for a while. The idea of ordering from Kaidomain was enough to give me pause. Can I ask where you bought them?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The exist, but they are a real pain to get, no one stocks them, I normally wouldnt trust the various DX/KD like vendors to actually get the bin I'm getting but you dont have much of a choice otherwise.

jPzVl.jpg

I know these guys are legit though.

Bad case of polyprojectitis though, and these guys will have to wait, hoping I can put one of these handheld spotlight sort of deal, but put an asheric in front of it, so light that would normally miss the reflector and come out as spill hit the lens and come out focused too.

Where did you purchase your SBT-90 From?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
hoping I can put one of these handheld spotlight sort of deal, but put an asheric in front of it, so light that would normally miss the reflector and come out as spill hit the lens and come out focused too.

Just the opposite. You would not want to use Domeless led+Aspheric combo.
Dome less led send more light sideways to hit the reflector, increase throw in reflector based lights.
LED with dome has collimation by the dome & send more lights forward, thus allow more throw using Aspheric lens.