Where have all the Arc enthusiasts gone?

cy

Flashaholic
:D
arc.JPG

Darkaway

Enlightened
I'm still enjoying my LS first run and my LSH, both with 2xAA extension tubes. My ARC 4 is still going strong too. All were purchased at significant discount directly from Arc as seconds. My numerous Arc AAA's and single AA are fine too, thank you.

In the not too distant future I'm sure there will be a "Where have all the Fenix fans gone?" thread. Time marches on.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered 2 more!

I got my wife one, my parents have one each, and my gym partner has two.

My AAA-P is always with me. I was extremely lucky and got mine the 1st week Peter and Merri started shipping them out last July.

I still have an original AAA Premium and AA. They are now backup/stash lights. I have an LSH-S, #502 (I think its 502, thats the number etched on the bezel). I got a great deal on it. One Saturday my buddy came by to pick me up to go to the gym and I was checking there website. Arc had a sale going on, I got my LSH-S, a pouch, and a AA tube for $79.99! It's the only light I won't let anyone else use. Including my wife.

Sure there are more technologically advanced lights, but classier?! I think not.

We're still here.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
Mini-Moder said:
You have to look at things besides the throw to decide a light. Compare the rest of the specs. Granted the Fenix is a good light, but i prefer the LSH-P.

I have a ARC LSL and LSH the quality is far superior to my Fenix L1P. Yes the Fenix is brighter. Its also longer, slippery, has a cheap fragile switch and made in china.

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
The ARC AAA is still a fine light. I don’t post too often and few of you know me but I’m one of those that buy just about every light that hits the market. I prowl the WEB, hit every flashlight isle at every store and probably still, with over a hundred lights clogging my shelf, look for the latest and greatest. Being near retirement, I can afford my hobby and I indulge it. After a time I tend to give away those that gather dust and new ones take their place; thus the cream slowly rises to the top.

Despite owning lots of lights (including 14 Surefires), it’s an ARC AAA-P (March 2006 manufacture) that rides in my pocket. The ARC, like a Surefire, gives a feeling of quality and value that few other lights manage.

Perhaps I was just luckey and got a bright one, or maybe not, but the latest ARC AAA-P gives serious competition to my Finix L0P. I think the latest run of ARCs have been goosed a bit or maybe their using better LEDs, but there’s a definite boost in the output. It’s a close run thing between my two Finix L0Ps and this latest ARC AAA-P.

I carried a Finix L0P for a few months, but I found I was changing batteries after less than an hour to maintain brightness. When I received the latest ARC, I was very pleased that the brightness nearly matched the Finix and tickled when it maintained it without dimming for over 5 hours.

The Finix is a initially brighter and has a tighter beam and hence much better throw, but it eats batteries in comparison to the ARC. Either of my My L0Ps (I have 2) will outshine the ARC for maybe 20-25 minutes, and then the ARC matches it for output. After 25 minutes the ARC rules. The Finix L0P will run three batteries flat and the ARC will still be shining away on the same one.

I’ve compared every other 1 AAA light in my collection (almost two dozen, 5mm & Luxeons) to the latest ARC AAA-P and at the end of the day it’s the ARC that drops in my pocket. There’s a feeling of comfort knowing that I can depend on it for at least 5-6 hours of bright, constant output on Lithium battery, and if I need it to, it’ll run another 5-6 hours on dim without a battery change.

Most days now I'll leave the house with nothing more than the ARC in my pocket. All things considered, in my book, it is still the standard by which all others are judged.

Al Havemann

faco

Enlightened
Still here..........I have been using my ARC AAA since it came out, and for the last 2.5 years it's been used daily at work. This thing just keeps going and going, I'm confident it will last another 50 years of daily use (and that's hard use)

Now, if only they made one with a 3w LED in the same form factor. Lets hope so

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still here too.
Just patiently waiting for something to replace my Arc4 :popcorn:

Lumatic

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here, just got my first Arc-P Gen4 and just love this little thing. All I previously had on my keychain was a mag-solitaire and man this is a heck of a step up from that! Got the solitaire rubber banded to a pen on the dresser next to my bed for night time writing.

I'm sold on the Arc-P!
grinser2.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I'm an Arc fan and proud of it! I don't blame anyone for buying newer and higher performing lights but the simplicity and form of the Arc AAA has never (IMHO) been bettered.

Arc for me stands for good 'ol American workmanship and (at the time) innovation. It does what it is supposed to do and does it well. Mine has lived on my keyring and taken quite a few years of abuse but still lights first time every time when required. I know that as long as PG is in business I'll be able to either get a similar model or with luck (maybe?) will be able to get the one I own repaired if needed.

Although in our modern world we continually push the technological envelope it's sometimes great to still hang on to the simpler things like the Arc AAA.

Doug

kahm

Newly Enlightened
I had an ARC-AAA Premium given to me a number of years ago for a Christmas present. I used that poor thing long and hard, beating it to death with keys, coins, and tools. It has survived with barely a sign of wear around the lug.

After the fall of ARC, I realized that I couldn't replace it if something happened to it, and it was with a heavy heart that I stopped carrying it and replaced it with a Dorcy AAA. The Dorcy was too big, too delicate, and too ugly, but all that I could find that provided even close to the utility that the ARC did.

Fast forward a year or two and I find out that ARC is back and better than ever. Within 25 minutes of finding a link to the new site I had an ARC-P on order and my old ARC-AAA Premium back on my keychain.

I've since recieved my new ARC-P so I can put the AAA into a well-deserved semi-retirement. I also picked up a Fenix L2P for use as a "bright" light.

I honestly don't know how people can compare a Fenix to an ARC. The L2P is bright, well regulated, has a long-enough, bright runtime, and runs on AA cells. All good traits, and that earns it a place in my bag - near enough at hand and almost qualifying it as an EDC.

On the other hand, the batteries rattle, the switch feels delicate, and the finish, while nice enough, makes me want to leave it in the sheath to keep it from being marked up.

The ARC is solid, looks and feels indestructable, runs practically forever, is tiny, bright enough, and is never farther than 15' from my person at any time. Ever.

Photons are cheaper and smaller, and L0Ps are initially brighter, but neither can boast the longevity. Pretty much everything else is bigger or less robust. The light from an ARC may not be the prettiest or the brightest, but it is the best compromise in size, longevity, and brightness when it comes down to *needing* a light. If I don't have it on me, it doesn't work, or the batteries are dead, what good is it to me?

An ARC is the first line of defense against the darkness. The Fenix? It seems like just another light.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
we are still here.
i have carried a aaa on my keyring (junkring) since iirc 2002.
it is worn and battle scarred.but still works just fine.it will rem,ain one of my edc till it dies...or i do .whichever comes first.i edc a ls/2aa
has a so17 and t bin lux 3.its used every day in my electronic service/cnc/industrial repair business.
on the side a neighbor and i fix up cars/trucks.
this thing was so nasty this morning that i dropped it in the tub with me during my morning hot soak for my back.scrubbed it with a brush and it looks new again.
i have a original low numbered first run that sits on the bedside.completely stock and will stay that way.these are tools that have proven themselves.bring back the ls-* series.i could sell 25 right now as everyone i work with wants one and i am sitting on my remaining stash of parts to build em with.
i even have a few ls i built from grey kit and auction parts scattered here and there.they never fail to work.
one thing i would love to see.the arc-aaa built to be serviceable.

kq2h

Newly Enlightened
We're still here!! I have an AAA in every LED color, including 375nM and 390 nM UV, RGB, amber, orange, etc.. But after hearing about Arc's demise, I replaced my AAA with a green Infinity Ultra - Goverment Issue and don't even miss the AAA. The Ultra G is bright enough and el cheapo AA's last forever. I use it hours at a time and rarely have to replace the battery.... For me its just as dependable EDC as the AAA was...... all for $18. Find me a AAA for $18 and I'll buy it!!!!

veleno

Enlightened
Today I received the new AAA Premium and... wow... I love it. It's fantastic!!:rock:

I was a little afraid for the tint of the light, beacuse I have heard bad things (blue tint), but now I can say there are no issues about it. It's ok for me!

cy

Flashaholic
new upcoming ARC LS promises to be something really special :D

Latest posts