Where have all the Arc enthusiasts gone?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost voted for the ArcAAA. Maybe I should have. I think it still is a great little light. I use mine more than any other flashlight. Peter is no fool, every decision is a trade off. For instance instead of using the CS LED to get twice the brightness, Arc could have doubled the runtime and improved the regulation in the process. The original was plenty bright for most uses. As far as LED choice the Nichia LED is bluer but has better spill. Its all a trade off. I like and agree with the philosophy that went into the ARCAAA light. I think every man women and older child should have an ARCAAA on their keychain. I can't think of any other light I feel that way about. Maybe a Photon 2 if you are being chintzy.

I ended up voting for the Fenix L1, which is not a keychain light but is a MiniMag Killer! Great throw pocket LED for the masses!

PS Its hard to make money on the bleeding edge. By the time you prototype, test, market and release the product its already obsolete, and then somebody knocks off your design and sells it for less. ARC knows this better than anybody!

greenLED

Flashaholic
BentHeadTX said:
Never went with an Arc LS as it only used CR123A lithium batteries... no 2AA NiMH optional body.

:confused: These were made; I have two of them.

Love Arc's simple lines.

pec50

Enlightened
After almost four years, I have yet to replace my ARC AAA as my keychain light. It's been battered against keys and even gone through the laundry a few times. Its size and shape make it nearly invisible in the pocket. It's like my swiss army knife; perhaps not the best at any one thing but adaptable to most needs, a true MacGyver tool. The simple fact that its run time is measured in hours means I don't have to really think about battery replacement for months. Sure, I am impressed with the L1P, but if I were stuck on an island in a typhoon and without power or resources for days I would want the ARC -- speaking from experience.

Vee3

Enlightened
Where have they gone?

To Asian suppliers. Where else? No different than any other X-mart shoppers do after "high tech specialty items" become commodities made overseas for a fraction of the price of the originals.

I work for a US company that manufactures medical implants. Where do you think they are made after the initial runs of protoypes are completed?

I'll give you one guess...

Lite

Newly Enlightened
LEDninja said:
It was no surprise the Fenix L1P was the flashlight of the year in 2005. What surprised me Arc was #9. [EDIT Final results moved up to #8.]
When I 1st came across CPF 2 years ago Arc was all the rage.
6 months ago PG introduced the Arc AAA rev 4 Premium and there was much enthusiam.
So where have all the Arc enthusiasts gone?
Not to poke fun or anything, but I noticed a glaring omission from your list of lights...guess which one?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My size of my light collection has continuously waxed and waned but the few lights that have survived the downsizings have been the Arc's. I can't explain it, maybe the lines, maybe the feel in my hands. Maybe it's the nostalgia knowing that Arc started it all and that the present players entered the market because Arc opened it up for them and exposed the general masses to LED lights. Maybe the hype has gone but I think there are still a few quiet enthusiasts remaining among us here.

nightshade

Enlightened
My edc includes a modded LS and new AAA. The LS is still a very sturdy and compact design, yet has ample space for upgrades and improving technology. The bezel thickness makes for a very tough light.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me in as a enthusiast as well, from the hints that have been dropping around here there just might be a lot more enthusiasm to come shortly.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Benthead very good post. My only comment is whatever Arc comes out with, they just can't seem to meet production needs. My Arc 123 twisty still is a small and occasionally used light. I personally like the beam output of the Lux 1 low dome as a wide area light. Craig, I got first run #10. A blotchy underwhelming beam but the light with the two AA pack proved to be quite reliable.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite said:
Not to poke fun or anything, but I noticed a glaring omission from your list of lights...guess which one?
Back in Aug 2003 right after the big blackout, Arc was backordered 3 months. I was not willing to wait and ended up with the Dorcy AAA instaed.

When the AAA rev4 was introduced, I did not want to get the standard as it is not brighter than the Dorcy and the premium cost too much. $10 extra for an 85 cent LED upgrade. Add the $20 courier charge and another $20 for customs brokerage charges and I'm paying close to a hundred dollars.

When I realized the current TM-310H is twice as bright as the Dorcy with a 2 hour runtime I got that instead. 2 for CAD$31 shipped (~USD$26).

I am not working right now so the price difference plays a big part in my decision not to get an Arc.

I do not have an Arc or even seen one. So I am not an Arc enthusiast. Just surprised the Arc owners did not vote in the poll.

red_robby

Enlightened
for me, it all started with arc...I still have way too many arc lights but the enthusiasm went under with arc, why?
there isn't enough room in this thread (not really the place for it)for the whole story but if you have some free time and want to do some reading, you'll find some solid reasons in the underground.

Last edited:

Raven

Enlightened
Well, one of the reasons is that Fenix uses the ever popular AA battery.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
After seeing the L0P and Peak Pacific, Arc not only has a place with the Luxeon AAA wars... they can win if they keep the price at $60. The L0P was first but does not regulate at all, the (released today) Pacific AAA can regulate well, run for 5 hours on a lithium but is rather large.

Imagine an Arc AAA with lugged body. Make the head 10% larger to stuff in a K2, lens and regulator and price it at 50 to 60 bucks. Now for the AAA-P... add a offset ring style body (Arc AA flashback) Just for fun, make it four holes to add a second offset ring so it hangs straight on a lanyard. That small space that used to be blank has a switch for high (25 lumens and an hour regulated runtime) or "normal" with 10 lumens and three hours runtime. Once the battery drops to a certain level, it can drop to 3 lumens for several hours so you won't be stuck. Throw in a lithium AAA for 1.5 hours high/5 hours normal and several hours of 3 lumen almost dead low would be a hell of a light. Price it at $79.95 or lower and things might get very interesting.

There is a space available at the AAA Luxeon table...

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
in Slang.. they say "Every Dog has his Day"

in more nice words... " you cant be always up, there are always up's and downs :) "

There was a time when QIII was also one of the popular lights...

today it might be some one else... nothing un-usual about it...

to be in CPF industry, one has to be competitive... and should come up with new products every few months or years.... (Apple Principle) ...

People like the "New" thing... and in 2005 it was Fenix....

in 2006 ... well ;) lets see ....

Point is, if ARC wants to be on top... then they should bring a $40 Lux I light (running at 60 - 70 mA) and with a 'long lasting runtime' ... (their moto) .... and it would be certainly be brighter than current arc :).... if the light takes additional battery tipes (ex. Li-Ion) it would be nice :)

I tried.. but I had failed :( ... i know its easier said than done...

LEDninja said:
It was no surprise the Fenix L1P was the flashlight of the year in 2005. What surprised me Arc was #9. [EDIT Final results moved up to #8.]
When I 1st came across CPF 2 years ago Arc was all the rage.
6 months ago PG introduced the Arc AAA rev 4 Premium and there was much enthusiam.
So where have all the Arc enthusiasts gone?

DrizzitT

Newly Enlightened
Newbie flashaholic and I must say, the AAA Luxeons have not impressed me as much as the Arc has.

I have both and like BentHead said, the Arc can easily take on both of them depending on what you're looking at. To me, the balance between size, brightness and runtime, the Arc wins hands down. Tint is eh, but in any real life situation, I would seriously prefer runtime vs. tint. Fenix is new yes, but it isnt worth the 4 hr runtime sacrifice for a vaguely brighter light (in pitch dark, yes the Fenix is easily brighter, but in real life, the difference is minimal.)

I'm guessing the Arc enthusiasts are still here, just not as active as before.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned four or five of the older ARC AAA's as well as an LSH-P and a LSL. I've bought and sold many nice and expensive lights over the years, but the only one I really regret getting rid of was my LSH-P with twisty battery pack. I finally took the plunge and ordered a new ARC AAA-P which should be here in a couple of days, and it will be going on a titanium chain around my neck replacing an older ARC AAA that has been riding there for a couple of years. I was never a fan of the ARC4, but if Peter sees fit to re-release something along the lines as the LSH-P I used to have (similar size and form-factor) I won't hesitate to get one.

-Keith

ledled

Newly Enlightened
Arc's price point just can't keep up with the market competition.
I will buy a lot of Arc P back in 3 years ago for $45 a piece but technology has evolved so much since.
I would think that it makes sense for it to cost less than what it used to cost

Don't get me wrong, I love Arc & I bought 6 Arc LS 5 Arc AAA in the past.

liquidsix

Enlightened
I'm a new Arc enthusiast. I just got my Arc-P AAA a couple weeks ago and it's great. I can't say anything about the rest of the arc lights compared to whatever else is out there in their class today, but Arc-P AAA is still the best. I think I'm justified in saying this because I also own a Fenix l0p which is one of the most recent entries to the keychain light forum. The Fenix l0p has a nice look, a nice tint, and a nice output, but after 15 or 20 minutes it's reduced the output of the arc, and then only gets dimmer after that, whereas the arc maintains a much more steady runtime. It feels much more reliable and I don't have to be so chincy with how much I use it.

I won't even talk about the Peak Pacific, that thing's huge! Unless where talking about the CR2, but again it's an expensive battery so that chincy use thing again is a big factor.

I would like to see a nicer tint on the arc though, maybe put a luxeon led in it, but underdrive it for a nice constant runtime.