Which $700 Rangefinder...

BVH

Flashaholic
Wow! In the dark, it seems to perform much better. I was repeatedly able to range the hills up to 1374 yards. Shots between 1100 and 1200 were easily repeatable whereas earlier during the day, I had to work to get most of those same shots. Pat36, what would account for this? Can you describe the technical aspects of what is happening when a measurement is taken? Is it a speed of light and timing process?

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I had to work to get most of those same shots. Pat36, what would account for this? Can you describe the technical aspects of what is happening when a measurement is taken? Is it a speed of light and timing process?

Yes exactly BVH. When the button is pressed the clock starts. When the sensor sees the reflected infrared beam on the target it knows how long the beam took to get there and back and calculates the range. If the software were changed to tell the duration of the laser's travel it could display that as well....only thing there'd be a lot of zero's in there..lol. .000000000000000012 seconds kinda thing.. :eek:

It's very typical for the receiver sensor to be more sensitive when less ambient light is hitting it. (like at night time)

I'm excited for you and happy that you're please with it. You bought the best! :thumbsup:

BVH

Flashaholic
That makes a lot of sense - less ambient light to clutter the return "signal" off the target.

You know what.......In the back recesses of my mind, I've always liked a good set of Binocks. Even though Celestron is probably not in the Leica class, I had occasion years ago to look through a bunch of them versus the regular names like Busnell and others up in Mendicino. Relatively speaking, there was a huge difference in clarity and light gathering/brightness. I'm thinking I might go for the Geovid in the not to distant future so I can get a excellent pair of binocks and long-distance range finding to boot.

Opps, maybe I got the model wrong, I thought they ranged further than 1300. Do they have the same basic product that does a mile?

BVH

Flashaholic
Pat36, at some point, I'd like to pic your brain on optics, in general. I have a 1976 Celestron C-8 that is still in near-mint condition and use it once in a great while. It's a repressed hobby, I guess. There isn't a month or two that goes by that I don't think about buying a C-11 or even the C14. Probably never will, but fun to think about. But getting a first-rate pair of binocks is very practical. I could use some advice.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Like you already stated, Celestron isn't in the same class or even the same universe as Leica, Zeiss, Swaroski and a couple of high end Nikon models. Actually, there are probably about 4 tiers or steps in between Celestron and top shelf optics. The Geovid makes sense in many ways and there are more reasons to have it combined in one unit than to have a ranger & bin separately. Archery hunters and golfers will likely prefer small rangers well into the future. Certain activities require ranging only and therefore not the advantage of dual optical tubes of bins the associated size and weight.

1300 yards is as high was the Leica's currently range and it will probably remain that way for the next few years. There just isn't a drive in the market to range at greater distances, where the sportsman is concerned. Others will range further but at the expense of size and inferior optics.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Telescopes are a whole different category, so the comments I made above don't pertain to them. I was referring to bins. Both Celestron and Meade build a great Cassegrain! I like the Meade just a tiny bit more because of accessories and their their latest technology.

I pretty much named the 3 or 4 most serious optics but in order to suggest a certain model I'd have to know what you'd primarily be using them for. :)

BVH

Flashaholic
What if the range finding feature is removed from the equation. Are the Geovids still the hot ticket for Bins? As for what I would use them for. Like everything else, I don't have specific uses, I just enjoy having and using fine machines.

Patriot

Flashaholic
What if the range finding feature is removed from the equation. Are the Geovids still the hot ticket for Bins? As for what I would use them for. Like everything else, I don't have specific uses, I just enjoy having and using fine machines.

The Geovids are up there but not considered "top guns" by the optical purist. The new Ultravid HD, Zeiss FL, and Swarovski EL are considered top guns. Last years Ultravid (non-HD) version is also a great price right now because of the newest model be out. The non-HD models are also spectacular so I wouldn't worry about that. With the Leica I'd recommend purchasing them from someone with an excellent return policy. The reason is because there have been issues with the focusing knob smoothness. Apparently the problem has been fixed but it was an issue for a while and still could be with some older stock Ultravids.

Well, it's going to be hard to recommend even a size without knowing what you'll be doing with them. One misunderstanding that many people have is that you have to have big lenses for good optical performance. That's not really the case though. I'd get the smallest glass that you can still hold comfortably. The 30-32mm objectives are an all around great size and 8-8.5X magnification is perfect for casual viewing. I'd recommend strongly against anything higher than 8.5X unless you have some specific reason for it, in which case tripod viewing is best. 42mm objectives have recently gotten lighter but they are large compared to the 32mm class.

Do you wear glasses, because that makes a difference too. The more eye relief the better and the 42mm bins will help with that.

BVH

Flashaholic
I've sort of hijacked Adams thread. I'll do some reading on those you listed above and come back with some questions thru PM. The benefit of the larger objective is in light gathering/brightness? I see some relative brightness numbers on a zeiss site. 8x42's were something like 19.5 or so. Do you know what my CRF relative brightness number is by comparison or are they not rated?

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've sort of hijacked Adams thread. I'll do some reading on those you listed above and come back with some questions thru PM. The benefit of the larger objective is in light gathering/brightness? I see some relative brightness numbers on a zeiss site. 8x42's were something like 19.5 or so. Do you know what my CRF relative brightness number is by comparison or are they not rated?

They're not officially rated, but it's just a calculation which is more effected my magnification than objective size. I can figure it out for you. That can be a misleading number though. The thing that number, (twilight factor) doesn't take into account is that the image might be moving around because bins are most commonly hand held. When hand holding, the objective size has more bearing as the magnification in low light. The difference in real time light transmission between the best 32mm bins and best 42mm bins is only measurable by a few minutes (5-7) during dawn and dusk. Although it could be an important to a hunter or birder the difference in a few minutes of usable light isn't that important to a casual user. There are far more important things to consider. If you can deal with the extra size and weight, the 42mm bins will give slightly better performance with regard to light transmission but very little is gained in resolution by the larger glass. This is because unlike telescopes, bin magnification is relatively low.

There is a binocular thread here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/132884

DM51

Flashaholic
Guys, I think in all conscience I should move this into 'Beyond Flashlights' now, but I'll leave a re-direct to it.

It was started specifically in connection with using rangefinders with HID lights, which justified it being here (only just).

I think regulars in the HID forum have all seen it by now, so moving it won't mean it is lost, and it may mean other members will see it for the first time.

Excellent thread with some great info, well worth bookmarking!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Bob I love man! Haha......you couldn't have had a better target at a more perfect range to max out your new toy. It was meant to be! :thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Did you use a digital SLR for those shots Bob, or is it a fixed wide to zoom? I love that erea...very scenic. :eek:oo:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I almost forgot about this thread since it was moved! LOL!

So that price did go for the yards model? OK, I should just get this over with and buy it. Thanks for feedback on this seller and item, buddies! :buddies: I'll order mine when they open.

Edit: Bought online.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Paul, I'm not a camera person but I think I know enough (or maybe not) to know that it's not an SLR. It's a Canon S5IS. It has 12x's optical zoom.

Congrats Lux!!

Paul, what's the most distant range you've seen on yours? Might be fun to push all of ours to the max and report the findings.

Last edited: