Which $700 Rangefinder...

BVH

Flashaholic
Pat36, what's the scoop on the Neucon 4000? It looks like a binocular unit but the descriptions seem to indicate it's a monocular. Looks like it will range to a little more than 2 miles. How are their optics relative to Leica?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Got my CRF today. These are small and great quality. How do you actually tell you got a yard model vs. meter though, since they are relatively close (1yd - 0.9144m)?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Paul, what's the most distant range you've seen on yours? Might be fun to push all of ours to the max and report the findings.

1319 off of a garage door on a house. I didn't have the option of backing any futher. Since then I haven't tried to get a higher reading, so you get the trophy for now Bob...:mecry: :p

Mine was also at night time.........

BVH
Pat36, what's the scoop on the Neucon 4000? It looks like a binocular unit but the descriptions seem to indicate it's a monocular. Looks like it will range to a little more than 2 miles. How are their optics relative to Leica?
The Newcon 4000 is a bincocular so I'm guessing that the screwed up the description on the site you're viewing. Better optics than the Bushnell, Leupold, and Nikon monoculars because these use a different optical arrangement. The optics are similar to a $200 pair of Tasco bins. So, not too bad really.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Lux, I remember seeing something in my "pkg" that indicated yards. Maybe it was on the box or some other docs, can't remember. Or maybe its simply the description on the invoice/packing slip. Not that this is a good indicator but I would not think a 1200 yrd/1100 meter device would be able to range up to "1374" units. That would be 2374 units higher than spec'd. This was the number displayed on a couple of shots I made at night. It is more conceiveable that a 1200 yard device might range up to 1374 yards or 1374 units over spec. Just thinking out loud.

Pat36, my shot was at night so it was under the best of conditions. Was yours a day shot?

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Mine had a "yards" sticker just inside of the battery compartment closure.

One of the reasons that the yard model CRF ranges above 1200 yards is because they wanted the meter model to range 1200 also. The Leica Rep said that the meter model will typically range 5% further than specification so the 1374 yards that you got to the water tank Bob, equates to 1256 meters, just about what the Leica rep. said it would do.

Pretty interesting :)

EDIT:
And to verify yours is a yards version Lux, if it ranges more than 1275 units, then it's a yard version. You'll need a great target though. Large, light colored buildings should work well at night time.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Lux, I confirmed that mine has a very big "Y" just inside the battery compartment as Pat36 says and also, on the box in a couple of places it says CRF1200 y.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since a couple of you already have the CRF 1200 :duh2: , I thought I might go another route with a TruePulse 200. Thanks for the recommendation, Pat36 :thumbsup: . The user manual indicates that "[o]vercast skies will increase the unit's maximum range, and sunny skies will decrease the unit's maximum range", much in line with what BVH experienced.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Good deal Adam. I'm glad to hear that you went with that one. It has some great features and would be my second.."all around" choice for a ranger, out of everything out there.

Lux, have you broken in your new instrument / toy yet? ;)

I'm just curious what you think so far. :)

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adam, nice unit indeed.

Patriot36 the one Adam purchased seems to have more features than the Leica....

"TruPulse 200 delivers more than just one measurement at a time; it calculates horizontal, vertical AND slope distance with a single press of the fire button. This is a unit which can adapt to varying conditions and save you untold time in the field. Both the standard serial port and Bluetooth® wireless option allow for easy transfer of your data once it's been collected."

Interesting..... does the Leica do all the above? I assume you like the Leica better due to its smaller size and optics, right?

Curtis

Patriot

Flashaholic
Adam, nice unit indeed.

Patriot36 the one Adam purchased seems to have more features than the Leica....

"TruPulse 200 delivers more than just one measurement at a time; it calculates horizontal, vertical AND slope distance with a single press of the fire button. This is a unit which can adapt to varying conditions and save you untold time in the field. Both the standard serial port and Bluetooth® wireless option allow for easy transfer of your data once it's been collected."

Interesting..... does the Leica do all the above? I assume you like the Leica better due to its smaller size and optics, right?

Curtis

Yes, to your last question Curtis. Most people have to use for the extra fuctions on the TruPulse, not even 95% hunters. Adam was looking at another brand with those features so I turned him on to the TruPulse. It's about twice the size of the Leica and the optics are very good just not quite "Leica: good. I think Adam was going to write it off as a business tool also because he can use it for his job. The TruPulse is really more handy to a surveyor than a hunter or golfer.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I was just kidding earlier about the RCR's because Lips had just fried his PH40. The Leica rep told me that the voltage would be too high and would void the warranty.

The lithium primaries seem last a long time if I'm not scanning constantly. I'm just using Duracell. My old LRF 1200 uses a 9V and doesn't have scan so it lasts for even longer.

BVH

Flashaholic
OK, primaries it is. The best I could do last night was 1331 Yards. I'm thinking my 1374 measurement in an above post was actually 1354. Just want to be as accurate as I can.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just kidding earlier about the RCR's because Lips had just fried his PH40. The Leica rep told me that the voltage would be too high and would void the warranty.

The lithium primaries seem last a long time if I'm not scanning constantly. I'm just using Duracell. My old LRF 1200 uses a 9V and doesn't have scan so it lasts for even longer.

Stick with Stock! I hear a heart beat in my PF40 :naughty:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I love things that have such high quality, and work so well as this Leica. BTW, remember I was asking how you know you got a Yards vs. Meter model, I just noticed a "Y" sticker inside/top of battery compartment, as well as box saying 1200 CRF-Y

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Now I'm wondering if I forgot to go to page two when I made my post that, or I would have seen your posting about the very same thing. I think that's what happened, sometimes with the site jamming up again recently, I seem to have a number of Firefox tab windows open...but I just now read all the posts above mine. :ohgeez:I'm sure it is a yards model, and it is working superbly. Great advice on this model...and will last a lifetime. I actually did a reading that I measured with a tape, and was right on the money :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Geeze, Lux, are you by-passing my posts in this thread? See post 66. I feel like you're ignoring me.....:nana:

That's what I was thinking until I saw his post right below yours....lol.

Lux, that's neat that you compared it to a tape measurement. I've never done that but I have ranged a few things that were predetermined distances. Like you stated, it was right on every time.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I was curious how your rangefinder(s) did with that Shootout-4, in particular how you had it evaluate the electric tower location....probably have to put square on ground below it?

I have been comparing a bunch of measurements to Google Earth which has the ruler tool.