Which $700 Rangefinder...

BVH

Flashaholic
Lux, my hand is not all that steady but I was able to get repeat identical readings on the crossbeam of the tower. It may have taken a few trys due to my shaking but non-the-less, I was able to get them. Sometimes, I have to squat down and rest my elbows on my leg to somewhat steady my view. Google Earth, as close as I can measure, says the same 260 Yards, give or take a Yard or 2.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should have brought the TP200 to the shootout. Will bring it along next time. I typically mount the unit on a tripod in the field in order to reduce the human error factor, it sure beats a level and rod for elevation takeoffs. Max acquisition thus far has been 3422 feet (target was a bright orange sail perpendicular to the unit) on an overcast afternoon at the beach. The TP200 fit within the allotted budget at $664.05, shipped UPS Ground from OpticsPlanet. Thanks again for steering me in the right direction, Pat36 :thumbsup: . And thanks to BVH and LL for inspiring my purchase with the purchase of their own rangefinders :) . Now to get the calibration certified so that the data will be accepted by government entities...

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
That's really great and it makes me happy that you're enjoying it so much! It's a heck of a nice unit although many more options than most of us need. It does sound like it's the ultimate fit for someone like you Adam. That's the only hypsometer range finder with well above average optics. I'd love to own one some day but I'll have to sell my older Leica first.

You'll have to throw us a few pics one of these days. :)

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
TruePulse 200 Initial Impressions
Drawbacks
1. Lack of image stabilization for handheld use.
2. Crosshair is not as fine as those on a typical level, or transit.
3. Firmware upgrades require sending the unit back to the manufacturer.
4. Height Routine does not incorporate the sine top-sine bottom method.
5. Rated IP54 weather resistant, preference is for IP64 in the field.
6. Rated NEMA 3, preference is for NEMA 3R in the field for dust resistance.
7. Diopter at zero blurs the HUD at a distance of 15 feet to the target.
8. HUD does not adjust brightness according to ambient light conditions.
9. Inability to retrieve data sets from previous calculations on the fly.
10. Downloadable data sets only available in ASCII hex and not text.
11. Cannot be used for finish grading (±1"), concrete (±1/8"), or framing (±1/4").
12. Does not support out-of-the-box ranging with a reflector (filter required).
13. Unit is not supplied with a protective transmit/receive lens cover.
14. Unit is not supplied with a protective RS232 serial port cover.

Advantages
1. Sine top-sine bottom method can be emulated through multiple VD returns.
2. Able to range in yards, meters and feet for both long and short distance work.
3. Repeatable results in both daylight and dusk indicate a high level of precision.
4. Initial on-site calibrations indicated that accuracy deviation was well within published specifications.
5. Firmware upgrades allow for improvements in both features and accuracy through adjustments in internal calculations.
6. Monopod/tripod 1/4"-20 female mount allows for stable, accurate measurements when used with a pod with a bubble level.
7. Automatic computation of distance and angles provides for multiple data sets within a single shot.
8. Multiple measuring modes aid in target identification within clustered environments.
9. Textured grips provides for sure handling and act as a pseudo bumper system.
10. Nearest range distance is a remarkable six inches for high quality targets.
11. Can accomodate standard AA, or CRV3 lithium batteries.​

tp200-m6x2.jpg

tp200-slik.jpg

These impressions are based on how I tend to use the TruePulse 200 in the field of construction and are certainly not meant to discourage potential consumers. By all accounts, the TruePulse 200 appears to one of the most accurate and well regarded rangefinders in its class. To dismiss a number of the listed drawbacks would involve doubling, tripling, or quadrupling the investment cost of a TruePulse 200 with a rangefinder of a higher class (e.g. LTI Impulse).

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I was curious how your rangefinder(s) did with that Shootout-4, in particular how you had it evaluate the electric tower location....probably have to put square on ground below it?

Hopefully you're not having any trouble ranging on towers Lux. :confused: It will easily range those at over 800 yards. The beam itself if fairly large out there and not nearly as acute as most visible lasers we're used to seeing.

It will also range off of the power wires spanning between the towers at 200-300. If you're quick with it you can even get readings off of flying birds. So yeah, it's very sensitive.

Last edited:

Tachikoma

Enlightened
The Trupulse seems really good, it's a pity in Italy they sell it for €1000 :eek: