Which Battery to Buy?

Okrangbelingbe

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

New to high performing torches, so please be gentle!!

I have just bought a Led Lenser M7RX which comes with a rechargeable Lithium-ion ICR 18650, 3.7V, 2200 mAh battery.

I would like to purchase a couple of extra batteries so that I have replacements on hand, however, my ignorance begs two questions:

Is it essential / preferential to stick with 2200 mAh replacement 3.7V batteries or can go for higher mAh rated batteries?

What would you recommend?

Many Thanks!

John.

Mark Mc

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a lot of time on the forum but if it was me I'd opt for a higher mah for longer run times. As long as you buy good quality batteries I think you'll be happy. I dont know anything about other brands but I bought 3 Orbtronic 3400mah batts to use in my Fenix TK35 and PD32 UE. They came from Amazon .com and Work fine with long runtimes.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing that requires you to use a 2200mAh cell. The larger the capacity the cell, the longer the run time. Charge status of a Li-Ion cells is determined by the open circuit (resting ) voltage, and 4.2 volts is fully charged regardless of capacity. So the charger really should not care about the capacity of the battery. It just take longer to charge a higher capacity battery.

At this point there is still a healthy premium on the 3400mAh cells (the largest currently made), however 3100mAh cells are readily available. Whether you should buy protected cells is up to you (and whether they will fit in your flashlight). Protected cells are several mm longer than unprotected cells. Protected cells prevent both over charging (which your charger should be doing), and over-discharging, which can ruin a Li-Ion. Since your flashlight uses only a single cell the risk of overdischarge
is pretty limited. Usually the electronics in the driver circuit will shut down the flashlight when the cell gets close to fully discharged.

It is generally accepted that the best 3100mAh cells are made by Panasonics, NCR18650A's. The bind is that Panasonic doesn't make protected batteries, or sell to end users. You just want to make sure
there is a Panasonic cells inside. Most of the reputable suppliers of 3100mAh 18650 batteries use Panasonic cells. Look out for ****fire batteries. They are of uncertain ancestry, and invariably grossly exagerate capacity. 3400mAh is highest capacity 18650 cell current made. The Panasonic NCR18650B is slightly longer and slightly 'fatter' than the NCR18650A cell, and some users have reported that the 3400mAh cells don't fit in their devices because of the small size difference. If you shop around you should be able to find unprotected 3100mAh batteries based on the Panasonic cell for $10-$12 each.

Okrangbelingbe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Matthew & Mark!

That is what I was hoping - I'd like to go for more running time, however, what was puzzling me was - Why don't the manufacturers go for a higher mAh battery in the first place?

Cheers,

John.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are "new to flashlights" and purchase a product costing 200+
:thinking:

any 18650 Li-Ion cell should fit, get a "protected" one.
measure Your original cell and/or check, if there is enough room inside the light. f.e. thanks to a spring.
Should be 2-3 mm. Just to be on the safe side.

PS: they sold You the "old" model, as there is the "new" one - with a 3.100 mAh cell - already available.
As to LLs usual pricing that will probably "just" cost some 30-50,-- more

Okrangbelingbe

Newly Enlightened
You are "new to flashlights" and purchase a product costing 200+
:thinking:

any 18650 Li-Ion cell should fit, get a "protected" one.
measure Your original cell and/or check, if there is enough room inside the light. f.e. thanks to a spring.
Should be 2-3 mm. Just to be on the safe side.

PS: they sold You the "old" model, as there is the "new" one - with a 3.100 mAh cell - already available.
As to LLs usual pricing that will probably "just" cost some 30-50,-- more

Hi Yellow,

Yeah - a bit of an extravagance!!

Thanks for the info.
I'm in the UK - it seems Led Lenser torches are a bit less expensive here, nevertheless, not inexpensive!

I have ordered a couple of PANASONIC NCR18650A Li-Ion 3100mAh 3.7V Rechargeable Protected Batteries PCB which are a tiny bit longer but virtually the same diameter, so, as you say, given the spring - should hopefully fit!

Thanks for all your advice!

Cheers,

John.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Interesting first choice for high powered light, though I do quite like the Led Lenser focus system.

A lot of good advice here already, I too would suggest measuring the dimensions of your current cell and going for a (protected if it fits) 3100mAh from a reputable brand. HJK has done a lot of tests on 18650's here, a lot of it is probably more technical than you're after but the dimensions of cells are useful.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
hope the advices help

... it is really hard not to type anything concerning Lenser
(except for the pricing, which I could not resist)

:rolleyes:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
to get a real "use" out of an additional spare cell, You will also need a charger for it
(as the 200+ package does not offer the possibility to charge any cell outside of the light)

atm I am very happy with my Xtar WP2 - small and very handy

PS: there seem to be 3.100 mAh cells available from Lenser themselves

Okrangbelingbe

Newly Enlightened
to get a real "use" out of an additional spare cell, You will also need a charger for it
(as the 200+ package does not offer the possibility to charge any cell outside of the light)

atm I am very happy with my Xtar WP2 - small and very handy

PS: there seem to be 3.100 mAh cells available from Lenser themselves

Hi Yellow,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Xtar WP2 - yes, it is annoying that Led Lenser do not supply a spare battery and charger!
Here in the Uk I have only been able to find 2200mAh Led Lenser batteries for sale! Have you got a link?

I will get the Xtar charger on eBay - have found one for reasonable pennies!

Cheers,

John.

Bumble

Enlightened
Hi Yellow,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Xtar WP2 - yes, it is annoying that Led Lenser do not supply a spare battery and charger!
Here in the Uk I have only been able to find 2200mAh Led Lenser batteries for sale! Have you got a link?

I will get the Xtar charger on eBay - have found one for reasonable pennies!

Cheers,

John.

becarefull of fake xtar chargers ! buy from an authorised dealer.

Knight_Light

Enlightened
Hi Guys,

New to high performing torches, so please be gentle!!

I have just bought a Led Lenser M7RX which comes with a rechargeable Lithium-ion ICR 18650, 3.7V, 2200 mAh battery.

I would like to purchase a couple of extra batteries so that I have replacements on hand, however, my ignorance begs two questions:

Is it essential / preferential to stick with 2200 mAh replacement 3.7V batteries or can go for higher mAh rated batteries?

What would you recommend?

Many Thanks!

John.

My recommendation would be to go with 2900 mAh protected. The reason being is they are cheaper then the 3400mAh by a considerable margin. You can get a lot more 2900mAh batteries and just swap them out. Unless you must absolutely have the most capacity in a single cell I would avoid the 3400mAh batteries.
You will get a lot more capacity for your money going with 2900mAh.

This is what I would consider at the top of my list as far as brands go.

• Keeppower
  • AW
  • Eagle Tac
  • Orbtronic

I would also highly recommend checking out the following link which will point you in the right direction.
http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers UK.html

Okrangbelingbe

Newly Enlightened
becarefull of fake xtar chargers ! buy from an authorised dealer.

Thanks Bumble!

It's hard to tell these days who is who! Have already bought on eBay, from a UK-based seller, so hopefully be OK but if it is dodgy - just have to hope it is a faithful copy!!

Cheers,

John

Okrangbelingbe

Newly Enlightened
My recommendation would be to go with 2900 mAh protected. The reason being is they are cheaper then the 3400mAh by a considerable margin. You can get a lot more 2900mAh batteries and just swap them out. Unless you must absolutely have the most capacity in a single cell I would avoid the 3400mAh batteries.
You will get a lot more capacity for your money going with 2900mAh.

This is what I would consider at the top of my list as far as brands go.

• Keeppower
  • AW
  • Eagle Tac
  • Orbtronic

I would also highly recommend checking out the following link which will point you in the right direction.
http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers%20UK.html

Thanks Knight_light!

Love the 'punny' name!!

I'd already ordered these before you had time to advise me!: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181136199770?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Hopefully they will fit the bill!!

If not, I'll take your advice!!

Cheers,

John

Knight_Light

Enlightened
Thanks Knight_light!

Love the 'punny' name!!

I'd already ordered these before you had time to advise me!: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181136199770?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Hopefully they will fit the bill!!

If not, I'll take your advice!!

Cheers,

John
Hey thanks for the compliment on the name, I tried to keep it light (pun intended). :)

Now on to your problem. I am by no means a battery guru but from what I've read on the Internet and on these forums is that most people have had decent luck with these particular batteries except for the fact that they are longer then average.

Now most protected batteries are larger but these seem to be on the large size of large. There are a lot of people that complained the batteries didn't fit into a particular light. So if you get these and they fit into the particular light you have then you should be good to go.

In the future remember that 18650 batteries are all not the same. Some are longer than others and some are wider than others. You have to take this into consideration along with the quality of the cell they use on the inside. That is the reason I gave you that link before is because it lists the size of some of the common batteries.

Take a look at some of these posts they will help you.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...impressions-Fasttech-Panasonic-3400-protected
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...650A-amp-18650B&highlight=PANASONIC+NCR18650A

Okrangbelingbe

Newly Enlightened

Hi!

Thanks for the response and advice - the batteries are longer than average but, fortunately, not too long!

I received these batteries yesterday, charged them both up using my Xtar Wp2II charger - no problem there.

Tried them out in my Led Lenser M7RX torch and one of them was fine but the other battery became hot and started to smell weird! On removing that battery I noticed that the top of the battery had started to go soft and the positive nipple was off-centre.

Not sure what the problem was - poor alignment caused bad connection maybe?

Anyway, have sent defective battery back to seller who is happy to send me a replacement by return.