Which cheap flashlight for lab use?

bexteck

Enlightened
I am looking to buy about 10 flashlights for an electrical assembly lab at work. They would be for general use while building racks and putting electronics in enclosures. I had thought maybe the SL ProPoly Luxeon, but the cheapest price I can find on them is $25. I know this is a very good price, but seeing as the company is not as crazy about flashlights as me, I probably won't be able to get away with more than $15-$18 per light.

Can anyone recommend a good, all purpose light that runs on common batteries, would be good for up close work and could survive in a toolbox.

Thanks for any help you can provide
-Blake

bexteck

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick replies,

I think the Gerber would be too small, both in hand and in light output. The Inova looks like it might work if I can find them on sale.

Still open to more ideas if anyone has any.

Grubbster

Enlightened
Mini Mag with nite ize module. You can get them for about that price at Walmart. Uses easy to get AA batteries. If they get lost or damaged they are easy to replace. Lots of colors to chose from if needed.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Grubbster said:
Mini Mag with nite ize module. You can get them for about that price at Walmart. Uses easy to get AA batteries. If they get lost or damaged they are easy to replace. Lots of colors to chose from if needed.
I second this suggestion. BatteryJunction has the LED upgrades for $5.95 (just bought four with some IQ switches). http://www.batteryjunction.com/niaamimaledu.html

The wide floody beam works well inside and working in confined spaces. Lots of accessories available (headband, holsters etc).

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
See if you can get 10 of the SMJLED PR bulbs from TrueBlue for $6.66 each. Then put them into any cheap 2 cell flashlight host you want. They work fine in $1 store flashlights and most anything else. They will work great and run for a long time.

bexteck

Enlightened
As it turns out, unknown to me, before posting this thread, someone went and ordered 10 minimags. I just talked to him and suggested that once the bulbs blow, to replace them with NiteIze drop ins. He seemed open to that idea, and since the minimag bulbs tend not to last that long (in my experience with them) he should be able to see the advantages of the LED's

Thanks again for all the input.

Illum

Flashaholic
Lab use...mm

try princeton tec or SL PP, sounds like your working in hazardous enviroments, and probably not a aluminum light since your working with electricity

and

Probably stay clear of lithiums...

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
bexteck said:
As it turns out, unknown to me, before posting this thread, someone went and ordered 10 minimags. I just talked to him and suggested that once the bulbs blow, to replace them with NiteIze drop ins. He seemed open to that idea, and since the minimag bulbs tend not to last that long (in my experience with them) he should be able to see the advantages of the LED's

Thanks again for all the input.

knock said "somebody" upside the head for not having ordered Streamlight 1xAA tasklights. They are in your price range (12ish) and VERY useful upclose.
Also very useful for navigation.

Last edited:

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Walmart has those upgrades by themselves, no crappy switch, for five bucks each. If you really want them out in use, you may not mention the spare bulbs in the tailcaps when some one blows them. On the other hand, using the spare bulbs may buy you a good few months to pick them up as you go.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
In a confined area the NiteIze is GREAT stuff! It can be easily overwhelmed by room lighting and such however.

Something like the River Rock .5w 2aaa or the Inova Radiant 2AAA actually put out more light. The Inova also has a plastic body so no shorting danger.

04-Rock-River-left-Inova-right.jpg
02-Side-by-side.jpg

fleegs

Enlightened
Princeton Tec Blast. Can be gotten on sale for around $6 sometimes. Works on two AAA. Around 10-15 lumens. It's like a poor man's Surefire E1E. Also look into a Princeton Tec 40. I think the Tec 40 would be too big but I am not sure how you would use the lights.

Good luck,
rob