Which is brighter?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 26, 2002
Messages
1,554
Location
St Louis
OK...been reading on here a bunch lately, and can't seem to find a concise ranking of the brightness of these lights:

Inova X5T, white LED's
Lightwave 2100
Lightwave 3000
CMG Reactor
Streamlight 4AA LED
any others?

I have a reactor (on lithiums) and am wowed by its output. I want another LED light but I also want to be wowed by its output as well.

Suggestions? Please keep the price ~$40.
smile.gif
 

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Apr 24, 2002
Messages
1,264
Location
Nor Cal
The Reactor should be the brightest light of all that you listed.

Considering your price constraint of $40, you're going to have to build a Luxeon mod to raise the bar.. If you shop around, you should be able to acquire the parts to build a Brinkmann 3AA direct-drive Luxeon mod for close to (or a bit over, depending on what you may already have for parts) $40.
 

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Joined
Aug 17, 2002
Messages
7,795
Location
US
good luck finding the brinkmann 3aa, i have looked around here for months...i'm about to buy one online at 22 dollars unless someone can sell me a brand new one or i can find a cheaper place online.
 

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 26, 2002
Messages
1,554
Location
St Louis
OK. Now, let me complicate things a bit:
I already HAVE a CMG Reactor so...which one would be the next brightest?

Anyone have beamshots comparing these lights?
 

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Messages
2,521
Location
Houston, TX
This does not directly answer your question (I do not have all of the lights you mentioned, so I can not answer it directly), but Lights like the Streamlight 3C, 10 LED light put out a wider, more difused light than a Luxeon Star light. When comparing the two, the LS is brighter, but, sometimes, I prefer to use the 3C Streamlight.

I know it's only a flashlight, but you hve to experience both first hand, to actually see what I mean.
 

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Joined
Oct 13, 2001
Messages
7,160
Originally posted by BuddTX:
....I know it's only a flashlight, but you hve to experience both first hand, to actually see what I mean.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not only that, but I now have four Reactors and two Inretechs and I hate to say it but they are all very noticeably different. Worst of all, all three of my Inova X5 (Classic models) are brighter than all the Inretechs and Reactors with the exceptoion of one particularly good Reactor.

Of course none of them even begin to approach my KL1 or LS Seconds in brightness. Not even in the same league, let alone the same ballpark.

Mr Bulk was telling me how hard it was to get really first rate Luxeons for his LGI's. We still seem to be in the Wright Brothers stage of at least some aspects of flashlight creation.

Brightnorm
 

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 11, 2001
Messages
2,968
Location
IL, near St. Louis MO
Ranked in order of brightness according to my opinion.
wink.gif


1. Lightwave 3000 & Streamlight 4AA LED are very close. Lightwave will burn longer on C cells but the Streamlight would be brighter in the beginning.
2. Inova X5T, white LED's
3. Lightwave 2100...Dead last!

CMG Reactor with lithiums and a very good Luxeon would come in first, with a not-so-good luxeon iw would be tied with the innova.

I would recommend the Streamlight or LW3000 (longer battery life) if your looking for a light that uses cheap batteries.

Check out Brock's site for more brightness info.
 

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 26, 2002
Messages
1,554
Location
St Louis
Brightnorm-
Sounds like you really like your X5's and that they're quite bright. I'd really love to get my hands on either a KL1 or an LS Second. They're just too expensive for my budget at this point.
frown.gif


Sean-
I've been looking at Lightwave's for a while now (still don't have one) and wondering just how bright they are, especially when compared to a Reactor or an ElektroLumens Direct Drive Blaster (my Reactor is brighter than the blaster) and I want something at least as bright. Would the Lightwave 3000 or 4000 be that bright? What about the Streamlight 4AA? The Inova X5T? Or, will a KL1 be the only thing brighter?

Too bad I can't get an E2e and a KL1 for ~$40!!
grin.gif
 

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 26, 2002
Messages
1,554
Location
St Louis
Now, what about our modders? Anyone currently making 'pills' for a mag light or other LS mods?

Darksbane? I know you had some a while ago...got any more?

ElektroLumens?

Long Gun Illuminators?

any other 'pills' ??
 

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 11, 2001
Messages
2,968
Location
IL, near St. Louis MO
Originally posted by ChrisM:
Brightnorm-
Sounds like you really like your X5's and that they're quite bright. I'd really love to get my hands on either a KL1 or an LS Second. They're just too expensive for my budget at this point.
frown.gif


Sean-
I've been looking at Lightwave's for a while now (still don't have one) and wondering just how bright they are, especially when compared to a Reactor or an ElektroLumens Direct Drive Blaster (my Reactor is brighter than the blaster) and I want something at least as bright. Would the Lightwave 3000 or 4000 be that bright? What about the Streamlight 4AA? The Inova X5T? Or, will a KL1 be the only thing brighter?

Too bad I can't get an E2e and a KL1 for ~$40!!
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The LW 3000 & 4000 will not appear brighter because the nichia LED's have a more diffused beam (20' angle?) Luxeons with NX-05 optics are more focused, putting out most of it's light straight ahead, making it appear brighter, even when it isn't.
 

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 26, 2002
Messages
1,554
Location
St Louis
I had forgotten that.
Still...really looking (dreaming?) to find something that will "wow" me just like the Reactor on lithiums did...
 

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 14, 2002
Messages
2,375
Location
Grand Rapids
Originally posted by Rothrandir:
good luck finding the brinkmann 3aa, i have looked around here for months...i'm about to buy one online at 22 dollars unless someone can sell me a brand new one or i can find a cheaper place online.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have a Brinkmann catalog and it is listed in there for $18.95 and they offer free shipping in the US.
 
Top