Which is more durable? Stock Surefire lens or an UCL/AR lens?

tobrien

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I just got a GG&G "Tactical Impact Device for Surefire Flashlights" (the "1127" TID that fits Z44 bezels) and I am gonna put it on a black Z44.

Anyways, all that aside, since this thing is made for impact, I wanted to know which Z44 lens is more durable (or rather less brittle on impact):

1. Stock Surefire lens
OR
2. Ultra Clear Lens (UCL)/Anti Reflective (AR) lens?

I'm asking because should this strike bezel be utilized, I want to have the lens on the Z44 it's installed in that will be less likely to shatter or break in general (in case I make impact with the TID on some object like a car window, etc.).

By the way, are the factory Surefire lenses these days Pyrex or Borofloat? I see both referenced sometimes but which one is currently installed on Z44 bezels?

I'm assuming the stock lens will be less likely to break. I know I'm not gonna want a sapphire lens (like what HDS offers as an option) because I read here from y'all that those lenses, while clearer, are much more brittle (if I remember what I read correctly).

Thanks for any help in advance!

ledmitter_nli

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do you get sapphire lenses? :huh:

I find the UCL that are coated seem to scratch (the coating) somewhat easily.

JCD

JCD

Enlightened
The stock Surefire Pyrex lens is more durable than UCL. Perhaps more importantly, Pyrex handles temperature variation very well.

E

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pyrex.

ledmitter_nli

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: Re sapphire nevermind. :D

Last edited:
K

kamote-fries

Newly Enlightened
IIRC, pyrex is borofloat. Regarding it's impact resistance, I've seen an E2DL's pyrex survive impacts from breaking a car window.

Last edited:
LilKevin715

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Tobrien are you open to using lenses other than glass? A Hardcoat Acrylic lens performs very comparable to glass in terms of optical performance, but the best benefit would be its impact resistance. Since it is technically a plastic it is far less likely to shatter than a glass lens.

tobrien

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do you get sapphire lenses? :huh:

I find the UCL that are coated seem to scratch (the coating) somewhat easily.
haha I figured sapphire lenses were available in SF sizes is why I mentioned it.
The stock Surefire Pyrex lens is more durable than UCL. Perhaps more importantly, Pyrex handles temperature variation very well.

thank you both! I'll stick with the stock lens
IIRC, pyrex is borofloat. Regarding it's impact resistance, I've seen an E2DL's pyrex survive impacts from breaking a car window.
gotcha, thanks for the clarification :)
Tobrien are you open to using lenses other than glass? A Hardcoat Acrylic lens performs very comparable to glass in terms of optical performance, but the best benefit would be its impact resistance. Since it is technically a plastic it is far less likely to shatter than a glass lens.

well, I do have plenty of the stock lenses, so I guess I'll stick with those. Is HC acrylic inexpensive?

tobrien

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checkout flashlightlens.com to view sizes and prices;)

Will do, thanks!

— Sent from my unreleased, next generation iPad 44 running iOS 'M' (to be released in the year 2036) that Steve Jobs gave me personally using Tapatalk QuadHD 7 posted by TweetDeck 97.5.2.