which led light casts the furthest beam?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's right Saaby. Seen but doesn't project that far.
wink.gif

shipinretech

Enlightened
In World War II, submarines would target ships in the dark of the moon by spotting people smoking. The glow from the cigarettes was enough to spot from miles away, and the torpedoes would be aimed by them. The middle of the ocean is free of light pollution. The distance a light can be seen on the ocean is more dependant on the height of the light and the observer.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it just goes to show that smoking is bad for your health
grin.gif

Ok back on topic, the PT Impact was mentioned, remember the Impact II is also an option (same beam characteristics & much smaller as it runs on AAA's)

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Torches fitted with narrow beam LED's, such as my BT2 Orange, will be visible from several miles away providing that the obsserver is in the beam angle of the torch. I can light up signs and car numberplates using my BT2/OR at least half a mile away, providing I have a steady hand to keep these objects in the 8 degree beam. An observer standing at that point would notice a tiny, intense orange point of light.
This particular torch is impressive in fog as orange light is not scattered as easily as the other colours, and with its very narrow angle beam penetrates well into the murky depths of thick fog. I'm looking at building a bigger torch using these Toshiba LED's...probably based on a 2D torch with a cluster of 9 or 10 LED's mounted directly on the torch lens face. The 2 D cells will give me a good battery capacity...needed because these toshiba's are a bit thirsty for LED's. (50mA operating current as opposed to the more normal 20 or 30 mA). This is still less than the 750mA used by filament bulbs, but should give me the ultimate longbeam torch! Visible for several miles and able to penetrate the thickest pea-souper of fogs!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by INRETECH:
Checkout our new product "TRILIGHT"

Mike
www.inretech.com
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mike,

I opened your site and was confused by"operating time (LED) 14hrs". I know "Runtime" and expected life time "100,000hrs" etc. But what is operating time, and in which light? Also, is Inretech considering a 4AA Luxeon light. That would be a great configuration in a TEK 40 or preferably UKE Mini Q40 type body, for compact size. OTOH there might be a heat problem with plastic bodies unless you drove the Luxeon very conservatively. Do you plan to offer any LED Mags in a C size?

I wish your site had more description about each light. It's fascinating as it is but I'm eager to read more about each light, and I'm sure other Flashaholics are too.

Brightnorm