Which LED to keep in the car...suggestion...more..

cslinger

Enlightened
Re: Which LED to keep in the car...suggestion...mo

In both of our vehicles you will find Streamlight Twin Task 2Ls and a Mini Maglite with the MJLED conversion.

The TT2L's are marvelous in this role. Great storage time, great runtime. Two levels of light. Two types of light. Small, rugged, etc. bulb on board and so on.

The MJLED Mini Mags provide super long term emergency light, map reading light and are generally meant to be a backup to the TT2Ls. The fact that they can use AA batteries means I have a flashlight that I can find batteries for anywhere if need be. They are currently loaded with Lithium AA's for there temp resistence and long term storability.

If money was unlimited and I didn't cringe at the thought of leaving such a nice light unused in a car I would have two Surefire A2s out there in a heartbeat with a spare carrier full of batteries and an extra lamp assembly, but the A2s are just too nice for this kind of duty.

You also have to figure that my wife always has an Inova X5T in her purse and I have an X5T in my bag that is usually in my truck and carry a Surefire E1l or Surefire A2 on my person.

Then there are the keychain lights. Basically I am not running out of light anytime soon on the road.

I think the key thing for a car light is that it must use Lithium batteries.

Chris

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
txmatt said:
I'm planning on getting a pair of AAA Elements at Sam's (same as Dorcy 3 AAA) and running Lithium AAA's in them

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, learned something. I didn't know there were lithium AAA batts available. Sheesh it's so hard to keep up to date! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
My recommendation has recently changed to the Gerber LX 3.0 using Lithium AA cells.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that works okay? Gerber is pretty specific about NOT using Lithiums in the LX 3.0 so I hadn't quite dared to try it (wouldn't want to let the magic smoke out).

LightHearted

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
GuyZero said:
I'm researching the same thing and I think I'm pretty close to buying a UK 4AA eLED for my wife's glove box. With lithium batteries and an 11 hour run time... It's worry free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, works great with lithiums. I've used it with 2 CR123s in the 2L body. With Li AAs you'll get more like 18 hours of run time.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, something I haven't heard anyone mention here yet, since it's plastic you can somewhat comfortably hold it in your teeth in a pinch when you need to use both hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I completely agree. Better to use a headlight though. I use one all the time for work around the house. I'm surprised at how much use mine gets. I'm still looking for a good one that takes CR123s for the car. At $1 each, the CR123s are a LOT cheaper than AA lithiums. I think I'm going to end up with the new SL Argo HP, since I love my regular Argo but hate the short runtime.

Ken

davidra

Enlightened

Wife's car: SL TT 2L
My car: G2 with P61 and extra batteries
CC Infinity ultra with lanyard.

mrme

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
KLM said:
Better to use a headlight though. I use one all the time for work around the house. I'm surprised at how much use mine gets.

I'm still looking for a good one that takes CR123s for the car. At $1 each, the CR123s are a LOT cheaper than AA lithiums. I think I'm going to end up with the new SL Argo HP, since I love my regular Argo but hate the short runtime.

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the headlamp comment. You still need a hand held for car repair, but a headlamp is often very handy.

Are the $1 123's you refer to are from battery station? If so, they have lithium AA batteries for $1 each, but they have to ordered in lots of 20 (something like 500 for non-cpf for the $1 pricing). So, it works out costing the same per battery to go with either size.

As for what I keep, I have an Energizer Double Barrel 4 AA light that fits really nicely between the front seats. I have alkalines in it, but will soon move over to lithiums.
I keep a headlamp and a Dorcy Syder in the center console. The headlamp was Petzl Myo, but it stopped working last time I used it, so I switched it out for a more relaible BD Gemini. I keep some D cell lights in the trunk I never use. They are large enough I can find them when it is dark. The only LED light I had in the car was a PT Aurora headlamp, but I gave it to my brother last weekend.

jtice

Flashaholic

Well, its not a light I would want to go missing alot...

But the inova T4, makes a SWEEEEEEEEEEEET car light.
I have one in my truck now, and should have a review in a few days.

It comes with its own charging cradle, that holds the light firmly in place.

It uses a rechargable Li-Ion cell, so its always ready to go.

~John

DaveT

Enlightened

Well, my light mix has been (still is?) evolving.
I started out with the Streamlight Twintask 2L under the driver's seat. I really like the Twintasks a lot, and I think they're great value, but I've recently changed to this light:
3-watt lo/hi
I really like that it's LED only, the switching goes from off to lo to hi to off, and you can adjust (somewhat) the beam focus from flood to spot. They're not quite as nice-looking as the Twintasks (their head is fatter) but I think they're great value. Also, the folks at J2LEDflashlights answered a bunch of questions and were a big help in making my choices.

In the glove box, I've got an Eternalight Ergomarine with lithium batteries in it (thanks matrixshaman) and one of these 1xAA .5-watt with a lo/hi switch, also with a lithium in it:
1xAA .5-watt lo/hi

I got it when I got the 3-watter, and I'd say it's OK. There's not a huge difference betweeen the high and the low, and it's long for a single AA light - about 2/3 or so the length of a Minimag. I think that a Minimag with an MJLED and lithiums would be every bit as good, or for most uses, a better choice...I think the MJLEDs are fantastic.

In the first aid kit in the car, I have an Infinity Ultra with a lithium battery and a NiteIze headstrap.

And in the trunk, a pair of TurboFlares with lithiums.

So, lithium-only batteries, LED-only lights...and thanks to Kevin and the folks at BatteryStation for making all those lithium AAs possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

--Dave