• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Which level for BB NG or BB for a 2D TW0J mod?

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, all.

I am currently planning to make a mod for my grandpa(see this link) And I am wondering

1) What level of current for BB NG or BB(should I choose to use)is the best compromise for brightness vs. runtime in a Lux III TW0J 2D mod? What kind of runtime should I expect from this level?

2) For the same mod, would one suggest to use other boards instead of BB or BBNG?

Thanks in advance!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, personally, like the NexGen boards. If you really want to give your grandfather a truly useful light with very good runtime, go with a NexGen667. I suppose that you'll be looking at about 4 to 5 hours of runtime on that setup. There's no need to push the hell out of the luxeon to get good light.

As you said, you want a good compromise between runtime and brightness. I think the 667mA is it.

Georges80's circuit are also very nice. The NexGens are just what I use. The only real advantage to the NexGens are their size, or rather the lack thereof. The NexGen is about .55" in diameter. I'm not sure of how much room you're going to have to work with.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Tony!

Great to hear your input! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BB NG is too my favorite, and NG667 seems to be a great candidate. I was just wondering with a T**J lux III with 2D cells, what kind of runtime/brightness sacrifice will I experience from a BB NG400 > 500 > 667(just assuming a normal Mag D reflector)?

Say if there is serious diminishing return(or very disproportionate tradeoff, for ex, 30% less runtime with only 10-15% brightness improvement), maybe I should stick with the 500 or even the 400?

In that light, I did read a fair amount of posts to gain better understanding about AA cells, lux III and sandwiches...maybe I will just make a new post to further my understanding about them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif