Which one: G2L or G2 with CREE drop in ?

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
I have planned to have my 1st surefire...but which one is better?

1. G2L
2. G2 with CREE (or even LUXEON ) drop in

The price in Thailand, both about the same. However, shop keeper suggested me having choice 2 because I can use rechargeable battery and still have Incan bulb as spare. Or get to G2L as it is better? :thinking:

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
I have planned to have my 1st surefire...but which one is better?

1. G2L
2. G2 with CREE (or even LUXEON ) drop in

The price in Thailand, both about the same. However, shop keeper suggested me having choice 2 because I can use rechargeable battery and still have Incan bulb as spare. Or get to G2L as it is better? :thinking:

Stowaway,

I would recommend the G2L. You can buy a P60 for it (fairly cheaply) and make it an incan later for those times you want an incan, but you can't buy a G2 and get a P60L separately (yet...though SF has said they will sell the P60L separately later). The Cree drop-ins are cheaper (and maybe even brighter), but you have to wait awhile for delivery and you won't get the wonderful Surefire warranty.

Welcome to CPF...and good luck!!

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
Hi KentuckyMike

I see your point. Since I 've never experienced modding on flashlight, just simple question. Is it easy just drop any module in flashlight, i.e. G2 ? I mean if in future, there would be new LED module available..I just simply replace it. Is that right? In contrast, I can just simply replace the previous version LED or Incan too if available?

Now then, if we look at price difference for both choices I can see the it is US26, based on surefire.com price. Would that be any advantage on buying G2 replace with CREE module? Or we should look at the quality instead of the price difference?

Do you recommend any module from DX or Kaidomain? I see the CREE modules there are reltively cheap. :thinking:

Gaffle

Enlightened
I see your point. Since I 've never experienced modding on flashlight, just simple question. Is it easy just drop any module in flashlight, i.e. G2 ? I mean if in future, there would be new LED module available..I just simply replace it. Is that right? In contrast, I can just simply replace the previous version LED or Incan too if available?

Do you mean is it easy to replace just the LED bulb, the emitter? If that is your question then it depends on the housing around the emitter. Some are easy some aren't.

I go with KentuckyMike on this one. Buy the G2L. First you get a longer runtime compared to the incan G2. Second, you can purchase the P60 (incan module) to replace the LED module. Just remember, the G2L may not be as bright as the incan G2, but you get 2 more hours of regulated runtime. G2L will not be a major battery-waster.

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean is it easy to replace just the LED bulb, the emitter? If that is your question then it depends on the housing around the emitter. Some are easy some aren't.

I mean the whole module, if i am right. I saw many posts have discussed about replacing module for their flashlights, not only for surefire. Some module fits for some flashlight brand and some doesn't. They all look similar to me.

Did you mentioned "2 more hours of regulated runtime" ? This means I can use battery for longer time. How is about rechargable battery? Can I use it for G2L?

If it sounds better in G2L, I would go with KentuckyMike then.

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
Stowaway,

Quickbeam did runtime graphs on the Cree drop-ins here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174197

And Zven did an informal (but very well done) G2L runtime graph here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174639

This will give you an idea of how all three options compare in terms of battery life on 2x SF123A-type batteries.

Price, quality, output, and runtime should all be considerations. There are some reports that the Cree drop-ins won't work with 2x RCR123A rechargeable batteries, but the G2L will work on the same rechargeables. All should work with 1x 17670 rechargeable batteries, but you will sacrifice output (and in some cases you won't have regulated output with one large rechargeable). All the drop-ins mentioned claim to work up to (at least) 9v, so you could even put them in a 9P or G3 later on if you wish for extended runtime.

As for the ease of replacing the module, it's very easy. You should be aware that some of the DX drop-ins may require some fitting to get them to work in your G2, based on others' experience. The G2L, obviously, won't have this problem. As long as the module fits properly, though, changing the lamp assembly/drop-in is very easy. Unscrew the front (bezel) from the light, remove the old module, put the new one in, replace the bezel, and you're done. Maybe 30 seconds at most.

As you'll see from the reviews, there's benefits and drawbacks to all the options. The links above should give you some ideas about the different options, and hopefully that will help you out.

Good luck!!

~~Mike

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I really like the 6P and the incan lamp assy, so I'd probably get the standard 6P and then purchase the Malkoff device. It looks like he just added 10 more to his stock this weekend. I'm not sure if that's in your price range but it gets you one of the best flashlights and the best drop-in available.

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
I really like the 6P and the incan lamp assy, so I'd probably get the standard 6P and then purchase the Malkoff device. It looks like he just added 10 more to his stock this weekend. I'm not sure if that's in your price range but it gets you one of the best flashlights and the best drop-in available.

I saw that, too, but when I went to Gene's site at 7:00am Eastern they were all gone already. 7 hours.... :mecry: :hairpull:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2L, bright enough, longer runtime and fully supported by SF if there is a problem with the lamp assembly! (By the way, I love my G2L)

clipse

Enlightened
I guess I should add, I say that you should go with the G2L. My main reason for saying such is that I have a G2L on the way. :) I did have a G2 and really liked it except for the P60 LA that I had problems with. I didn't really care for any of the LED LA's untill I saw Surefire's offerings.

clipse

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Check this thread for some LED P60 compatible drop-ins.

Most of the time, the Cree drop-ins will give you more light but with less runtime then the Surefire G2L(The G2 except with a LED drop-in, you can swap the drop-in for the P60), and they don't have heat protection so the drop-in might get very hot when left on for a while and damage the LED while the G2L will lessen the current and keep the module at a resonable temperature. The Luxeons drop-ins will produce even more heat and less light when driven at the same power, unless if they are Rebel 100 drop-ins, of which none are available as of now.

If you want brightness, go for a Cree drop-in, if you want runtime and less chance of a burnout, go for the G2L.

boosterboy

Enlightened
The G2L's P60L module is designed for long runtime with thermal protection, so the brightness is around 80 lumens.

It's a good choice if you want long runtime, but once you start dropping high-powered LED drops-ins, heat will be an issue because of the G2L's polymer body (assuming you plan to use your light for extended periods of time). If you plan to use your light for like 5-10 minutes at a time the G2L is fine, anything longer the 6PL is better idea.

Your choice of quality drops in include the Malkoff M60, the lighthound drop in, the Bugout gear drop in. I highly recommend the Malkoff drop in. These drops in are designed for higher output, therefore have lower runtime.

As for people saying dealextreme stuff is "quality":rolleyes: compared to Surefire, you might as well say fast food is nutritionally on par with gourmet food prepared by professional chefs.

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
Hi boosterboy I like this word :- :thumbsup:

" As for people saying dealextreme stuff is "quality":rolleyes: compared to Surefire, you might as well say fast food is nutritionally on par with gourmet food prepared by professional chefs."

I can see now why G2L is more preferable. Now then come to the battery point. I receive an answer from surefire customer sevice:-

" There are no rechargeable 123A batteries that are suitable for use in any of our lights. "

Does this mean that I cannot use any rechargeable for G2L at all?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My advice would be to go to www.dealextreme.com and buy a light from there. Much cheaper than any surefire light. And the quality is just about there...

You mean in the toilet? :sssh:

Sorry, I know DX isn't that bad. But even the CPFers who like buying from DX, will readily admit that the site's customer service is imaginary. "But what do you expect for fill in rock-bottom price tag here."

DX is the sort of place where you order something..... and then go on with your Life. Eventually, your order will arrive. Sort of like, coming home one day; and finding a happy surprise in your mailbox. :)

Sure, DX has brighter lights with longer runtime than some Surefire models. But quality isn't just about those two things. Short of a shotgun blast at close range, Surefires are tough as nails! They're dependable. There's a reason why far more Surefire lights are found in the hands on front-line soldiers, than DX lights.... to put it mildly.

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
I can see now why G2L is more preferable. Now then come to the battery point. I receive an answer from surefire customer sevice:-

"There are no rechargeable 123A batteries that are suitable for use in any of our lights."

Does this mean that I cannot use any rechargeable for G2L at all?

Unfortunately, this is something SF has been saying for a long time. You have to remember, though, that once you buy the flashlight, SF makes money off your continued purchases of their (non-rechargeable) batteries. Many of us have been (quite sucessfully) using rechargeables in SF lights, though.

The G2L's light assembly (LED) is designed to work from 6-9volts (so that it can be used in 6/9P and G2/3), and 2x RCR123A's fresh off the charger should be no more than 8.4volts. Thus, you should be able to safely use rechargeables in your G2L. They may be worried about the heat of 8.4v driving the LED in a plastic body, but the thermal and electronic regulation together should theoretically take care of this.

Last edited:

Dr.K

Enlightened
I can weigh in here b/c I have both.

G2 with drop in is brighter and whiter

G2L is more of a purple color

Both are good lights.

I haven't put them head to head yet, but I bet the G2L has a longer runtime, as is posted on the factory specs.

I've read some debate on whether or not the G2L is regulated the full time, or just the first hour or something like that.

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
Kentucky Mike

"The G2L's light assembly (LED) is designed to work from 6-9volts (so that it can be used in 6/9P and G2/3), and 2x RCR123A's fresh off the charger should be no more than 8.4volts. Thus, you should be able to safely use rechargeables in your G2L."

If I am right, based on my little knowledge on electronics stuff, each RCR123A is 3.7V, then 2x=7.4volts. So P60L in G2L can work on 2xRCR123A with no problem, right? Any trade-off for that?:candle:

Latest posts