Which Rifle Light: small and light??

M

Mikul

Newly Enlightened
That HDS looks absolutely perfect. Thank you.

N

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
I don't own an HDS Tactical, but I do have a Ra clicky High Cri (100 lumen) which should be roughly the same size. I've taken a picture of some of the lights mentioned in this thread, for size reference.

cpfnw1.png

From left to right: SureFire X300; Streamlight TLR-1; Insight WX150; Glock GTL-11; Ra clicky High Cri (100 lumen); SureFire G2 (tan); SureFire 6P; Malkoff MD2; Elzetta ZFL-M60 (2-cell); Elzetta ZFL-M60 (3-cell); Mini Maglite (for size reference).

I'd like to take some beamshots for you, but I'm new to the forums and don't have the skills and gear to do so... yet.

M

Mikul

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the comparison pictures. It certainly makes the scale clear: not much longer than a pistol light. I don't have a lot of room to mount this in a convenient spot, so this should make things a bit easier. At 3.5oz with the battery, it's also as light as I can ask for.

John_Galt

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you like the suggestion of the HDS Clicky. I have the older 140 version, and I have no doubt that it will be able to withstand heavy, repeated recoil. When you pick it up it feels like a solid chunk of metal. The electronics are potted, the battery has a spring at either end (maintaining constant contact), etc.

With the new gen. Clicky's (one's sold currently) you can program the light to disable the "burst" feature. Basically, as it comes from the factory, it is 200 lumens for 40 seconds, then it drops to 140 for the 1 hour run time (minimum). In the options menu you can program the light so that it will not drop down, rather it will stay at 200 lumens, but will halve the stated run time (still, 200 constant [not slowly diminishing] lumens for half an hour isn't that bad).

R

Rod82

Newly Enlightened
I used to run a Streamlight TLR-1 on my rifle and liked it. Very lightweight compared to some other setups i have had. I now run a G2X on the end. It makes most sense considering price and performance, imo.