Which small reflector to use for max throw...

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
in a PTS D mag mod?

I have some 20mm and wonder about the 17mm throwing further?

Also, where can I get the UCL from please? :)

Thanks!

mateen

Enlightened
I believe from most throw to least would be McR20, IMS-20, IMS-17. Smaller reflectors usually have less throw.

You can get UCLs from flashlightlens.com and sometimes Lighthound also has them, two good vendors off the top of my head.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Most throw = big reflector.
A McR-20 throws adequately, but isn't a pure throw reflector. The McR-27 (or Pelican M6 reflector or IMS27 like in the Gladius) throws very well for its size ... BUT ... since you will mod a D-sized Mag ... you can put in the McR-45 there ... and this one really throws.
If you want multiple small reflectors the 20mm is your ticket, it's better than the 17mm for throw.
bernie

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you get the McR45 to fit in a Mag? I don't have one, but the McR38 won't fit in the head... with the head unscrewed to the point where the O-ring is showing, the threads of the bezel won't even touch the threads on the larger part of the head?

Anyway, on the PTS. I just built one using RW0H stars and three IMS20 reflectors... I wasn't really expecting much throw but I was really quite impressed with what those guys can do. I'm not going to try to tell you that they will give you the throw of a stock Mag reflector, but they do a much better job that I would have thought. Even with the Lux Is I used, they did a good job getting out to 180 feet. Granted, the only things I could really look at were trees, fence and one of four dogs, but at that distance with the Lux I tri star, I could tell which of two small, light tan dogs were which. And the hotspot it creates is huge at a distance! I'll put up a couple pics in a minute.

I would like to know if the McR 20s will work as well. I'm going to 'transfer' this light over to a regulated 2C quadstar and would like to know if the McR 20s would give me a bit better throw.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a pic of the Tristar RW0H using IMS20s at 38 feet followed by the Striker VG which I was evaluating at the same time and which is the second best throwing single LED light ever tested at flashlightreviews.com and finally a UX1L at 937ma with a Mag reflector which is my best throwing LED light.

IMG_0066%20Tri%20Lux%20Ia.jpg

IMG_0069%20Strikera.jpg

IMG_0068%20UX1L%20937maa.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
cratz2 ... IIRC there was a thread where someone put a McR-45 in a Mag. But as I am really not the expert for this stuff I'd better shut up now ... :green: :aaa:
bernie

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Thanks guys, I have a 5D mag modded with tri luxIII's with 8 pilas crammed in there in parallel, I wasn't sure if the reflectors were 20mm or 17mm. I measured them but still wasn't sure. (A bit retarded of me I know but... well is the outside diam the 20mm?)

The 5D throws really, really, REALLY well so I want to duplicate the results in a smaller form package, hence the 3D.

Plus, when I am sick of the 3D luxIII, I can sneak over to the hotwire section and play some more :naughty:

Cool, so I'll nab some UCL's and go with the 20mm reflectors. :D

Three will fit I hope.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the IMS20mms are the ones that work with the PTS and PQS sinks. The 17s would be too short front to back. I currently have the RW0H PTS in a 3D host, but eventually I'm going to build a PQS in a 2C and change the 3D PTS to run either TW0Hs or TX0Hs or something like that but I need to figure out which regulator I should use. I'd like to use an nFlex with multiple levels of output.

Bernie... I was honestly asking... I'd love to get a 38mm or 45mm reflector working in a Mag... But I think a spacer would need to be fashioned to go between the larger part of the head and the bezel or maybe just a new bezel that allows for the added depth. The 27L fits perfectly though.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Mobile1,
Have you compared the eficiency of the Carleco 2deg with a reflector? I only build one mod with this optic but my impression was that it took out photons like a plague! :shrug:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did. My impression is that it is focusing about as good as a Mag2D stock reflector - however it's slightly less bright. On the other hand I really like the low profile 15mm thickness - while a reflector has at least I think 3 times the thickness.

Something else I notices I have several ones of those carclo optics - I noticed that some focus better then others - might be a quality control issue.

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
Which of this three reflectors has better lux readings (better throw):
IMS 27 mm, McR-27 or McR-27L? How does it look like compared to IMS 20 readings? Are these 27-mm reflectors more throwing than Carclo 26-mm 4 deg. optic? Did anyone do such a comparisons? I've been searching for it but I can't find any helpful information/pics.

Thanks of any help!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't messed with any of the 45's, but I did fit a McR38 into an M3 head. I think the Mag head is larger than the M3. I don't know why the 38 wouldn't fit into the mag head.

I might have to get one and try this out with a 5W luxeon.