Which swiss army knife do you use?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
I like my Compact model as well. But the more I carry it, the less useful the tools seem to become. I agree that the pen insert is excellent for jotting down a quick note or filling out a bank deposit slip. But the plastic top is not just uncomfortable, but downright painful to use for any sort of longer writing.

I've decided to buy a single-layer Bantam for future carry. Keeps the useful features of the Compact (except the scissors, but I don't even use those) and is thinner and more compact than the Compact.

ftc159

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Camper everyday now, with it recently replacing the Hiker I carried for years. I swapped to see if I'll get more use out of the corkscrew and mini-screwdriver than I did the Hiker's dedicated Phillip's bit. So far I am.
The Camper's tool set has everything I need for my daily tasks as well as my frequent hiking/woods bumming trips.

Ossa1970

Newly Enlightened
I have been carrying one of these lately, I have also carried the Parachutists and the OH fireman which replaced the side lock Fireman I used for years.

Last edited:

lefteye219

Enlightened
Been carrying a Victorinox Explorer my girlfriend gave me 2 years ago. It has been a constant companion to me except when doing air travel. Want to add a leatherman surge to my list for more heavier work I have been doing lately

StarHalo

Flashaholic
the pen insert is excellent for jotting down a quick note or filling out a bank deposit slip. But the plastic top is not just uncomfortable

For the cargo pants/carried pack set: five-pack Staples 3x5" memo pads, dozen-pack Staples Mini Gel pens (in-store only), ~$10 for both. Been pocketing this combo for a while now, works great especially since the pen cap closes very securely.

Glofindel

Newly Enlightened
I carry either of these two.
dy4ezype.jpg

evuzy7y2.jpg

ZNickey

Newly Enlightened
I use a SwissTool Spirit Plus. Carried Leathermans for about 2 decades before bitterly switching over from my most recent TTi and ALX Charges.

robert.t

Enlightened
I've had a Victorinox Classic on my keyring for years until the other day, when I replaced it with a Leatherman Squirt PS4. It's a bit heavier, but the pliers are so useful that it's worth the extra weight. In the end it's netted out about the same, because I swapped out my Fenix E15 for something smaller.

I also bought a Gerber 'Bear Grills' because it was on sale and I liked the fact it has a saw blade (also surprisingly useful, as I found when I had a SAK with one years ago, having initially expected it to be pointless). In the end the Squirt was just better quality, smaller and lighter, so it won out for the keyring spot. The BG will be going into an emergency kit, but not EDC. The choice to include 3 screwdrivers and no scissors is also unfortunate, otherwise it might have been close to perfect. SAK-style screwdrivers are pretty useless anyway.

I also tried the Dime, but didn't like it - the inferior quality was very noticeable, with no real advantages over the Leatherman.

I tend to find that while the bigger SAKs/multitools are undoubtedly better than the little keyring ones, they are not sufficiently better that it makes any real difference in practice, so I'd rather have something that I know for certain I am not going to accidentally leave at home the one day I need it for something. I've got a couple of SAKs that now live in a toolbox and never really see the light of day. I plan to get a Leatherman Wave though, which I'll stick in a pencil case with a couple of proper screwdrivers and other essentials to make a grab-and-go mini toolkit.

Hmmm, slightly OT but does anyone know of a truly pocket-sized DMM (with leads that fold away neatly)? That's always the bulkiest thing in my "field engineer" toolkit - it would be nice if there was an SAK equivalent.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of getting the "tinkerer" or the super tinkerer I think they called it. .

Seems like it has everything I need.
I can't stand the corkscrews.

Pliers, scissors, saw, knife, file, screw driver, are a must.

The hunter looks ok.

Then theirs the 3" think "everything" model. Would be cool if not sooooo thick.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
Now that I have a Swiss Gear (Wenger) Synergy backpack, I'm tempted to get a Wenger Classic to toss into the little red thumb-drive pocket in the Admin. pouch that's part of the pack. :)

Bullzeyebill

Staff member
I can't stand the corkscrews.

They have been lifesavers for me. When younger, wife and I would go on picnics, and many a time, forgetting the wine opener, we relied on those corkscrews. They have proven to be quite capable unscrewing the toughest corks. Still use them.

Bill

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
They have been lifesavers for me. When younger, wife and I would go on picnics, and many a time, forgetting the wine opener, we relied on those corkscrews. They have proven to be quite capable unscrewing the toughest corks. Still use them.

Bill

They also make excellent improvised marlin spikes for untying stubborn knots.

austinmark

Newly Enlightened
Let's revive this worthy thread. I alternate among two SAKs and two Wengers. My favorite and most-often carried is my grandfather's old "Original Traveller." (Thanks, SAKWiki for helping me identify it.) It languished in his drawer for more than 15 years at the end of his life, but my grandmother passed it on to me. I cleaned it up, replaced the tweezers and toothpick, added the tiny screwdriver, and put on a new keyring and lanyard. I like the complement of tools very much: everything I need and almost nothing I don't.