Who has a Cat or Cats?

I assume Star is a ' Birman ' Chance??

That's probably as good an assumption as the next. We asked Star's veterinarian if he was part Ragdoll. She said, "Maybe." but didn't hazard a guess.

Our neighbors brought Star home as a rescue-cat, so there's really no way of knowing his heritage. It didn't appear their other pets allowed him his fair share of food. Long story short, we started feeding him. I asked our neighbor if that was OK with him. It was. Years later, the neighbors are gone. Star stayed.

~ Chance

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Me n' Harley, Super Bowl 37

m7AN5On.jpg

harro

Enlightened
Actually what you see in your cat's eyes is a complete other universe. :) This is my old cat Scruffy. Unretouched photo of his emerald eyes.
Scruffy-Eye-Universe.jpg

…...' you are under my spell, human.....bring me food '...….

Actually, you can see why they were revered and feared in days of yore. Also, part of the reason they see so well in low light conditions, as well as not seeing the full colour spectrum so well.

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened
Just my $00.02 worth Chance, and RedLED, if I had to hazard a guess at Star's colour points, i'd say either Blue or Lilac point. Both recognised colours by cat associations, worldwide. He could also be a mix of Blue/Seal. Seal being a graduation from ' Rich dark chocolate to black '.

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know for sure is he's not too picky about where he chooses to lay down. :ohgeez:

Happy to see that I'm not the only one that can't use the bathroom without my protection.

The Tortie follows me like a dog. She stays in bed until I get up, then follows me to bed in the evening.

I had someone come to the side door the other day. The Tortie started growling and hissing. Once I told her it was OK, he was a friend, she backed down and was as good as gold.

harro

Enlightened
Yeah, umm, that's about right. ' I WILL LAY DOWN WHERE AND WHEN I WANT TO '. Sorry, that was with regard to Star, I forgot the quote button.
Hahaha, a closer look at his face and the expression is saying, ' GET THAT BLOODY CAMERA AWAY FROM ME, HUMAN '.

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened
That's probably as good an assumption as the next. We asked Star's veterinarian if he was part Ragdoll. She said, "Maybe." but didn't hazard a guess.

Our neighbors brought Star home as a rescue-cat, so there's really no way of knowing his heritage. It didn't appear their other pets allowed him his fair share of food. Long story short, we started feeding him. I asked our neighbor if that was OK with him. It was. Years later, the neighbors are gone. Star stayed.

~ Chance

A bit late here Chance, but just taking a closer look at Star, yeah, the white toes are a dead giveaway for a Birman. The color points extend down the foot to the toe joints, then the pure white toes ( yes, his foot begins at what looks like a 'backward knee joint', halfway up his leg. Our furry friends/rulers actually walk on ' tiptoes ' ). He may have been from a breeder, and for whatever reasons, usually asthetics ( cruel and uncaring, but a fact of life with some darn breeders ), he was rejected, and ended up in the rescue scenario. Doesn't matter, he has his servants and kingdom to rule over, and sets his expected standards of behaviour from his servants.

harro, You just might have hypothesized the truth of how Star came to reside under our roof. It's hard to capture with a camera due to his unwillingness to look directly at us, but Star's right eye has always been cloudy.

The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I have had the pleasure of living with some wonderful felines. However, Star is and always will be cherished as special.

4DWU5Jt.jpg

A bit late here Chance, but just taking a closer look at Star, yeah, the white toes are a dead giveaway for a Birman. The color points extend down the foot to the toe joints, then the pure white toes ( yes, his foot begins at what looks like a 'backward knee joint', halfway up his leg. Our furry friends/rulers actually walk on ' tiptoes ' ). He may have been from a breeder, and for whatever reasons, usually asthetics ( cruel and uncaring, but a fact of life with some darn breeders ), he was rejected, and ended up in the rescue scenario. Doesn't matter, he has his servants and kingdom to rule over, and sets his expected standards of behaviour from his servants.

It's been my observation that most domestic cats probably wouldn't know what to do with a squirrel if they caught one, and that represents a problem because - relative to mice and rats - squirrels are dangerous prey and immediate post-capture follow-through is a wee bit critical for the health of the apprehending cat.

I really don't know how I missed your post, idleprocess. Bygones for not replying until now. I once witnessed an all-out squirrel fight. It was one of the quickest, most brutal engagements I have ever witnessed. Having hand-fed Momma Squirrel for three years I've had the opportunity to observe her up close and personal. While her teeth are those of a rat, her surgically-sharp claws would give Edward Scissor-Hands reason to be wary.

Last edited: