Who has a Cat or Cats?

Does anyone else's kitty have furry paws?

GFLTnyg.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not me, but this thread reminded me of a cat my best friend used to have. White, with a few orange spots. He was named "Salem." And what truly made him special is that he had thumbs on his front paws. Both of the inner-most digits on his front paws were pushed outward from his other digits, and towards his body. Basically, thumbs! And he knew how to use them.

Generally an even-tempered cat who caused very little trouble. Though one morning, as we both woke up while I was visiting, (he had decided to bed down next to me for the night) I tried petting him; and he swiped at me with his paw.... with his claws extended. I pulled my hand away just in the nick of time. After that, I decided to avoid him as I can't stand temperamental people, or animals. If anyone is wondering, Salem's deformity with his paws was likely the result of the same reason why he passed away at an early age. Salem was the product of two very closely related cats who shouldn't have had relations with each other, which led to Salem being born.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Salem's condition is a genetic mutation called polydactylism. The cats at the Hemingway house in Key West Florida are known for being polydactyl.

Polydactyl cats were thought by sailors to be good hunters of rodents on ships making the Atlantic crossing. Supposedly, the larger paws gave them better balance on rocking ships.

One of my cats, Stuie was a four paw polydactyl cat. He had 6 toes on each paw. I posted a picture here before, but I guess it got wiped out by the DropBox purge a few years back.

Some people refer to the paws as looking like mittens or snow shoes.

In the cat breeder world though , snow shoe cats have white paws and have nothing to do with the size of the paw.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The cats:
  • My Hyde A stray that literally followed me home one night. He's some sort of Siamese/Manx/Persian mixture. In his youth he could flat-foot a six foot jump and would indulge light roughhousing on occasion. I believe he's about 14 now. He's talkative and can be aggressively affectionate.
  • Uryu A former co-worker's cat I adopted when they learned their young child was severely allergic. He's a regular goofball.
  • Mr Bibbers Girlfriend's Flame Point Siamese. He's a real nacho but also affectionate.

E1QbSPV.jpg

Mr Hyde disapproves of the camera.

o59uwRf.jpg

And now Mr Hyde's preferred activity these days. His tail has always been stubby, partially fused, with a permanent cowlick.

MoQ6qRu.jpg

You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Y07ZpBV.jpg

A more typical Uryu pose. He's incredibly difficult to photograph. His coat is smoke - each hair is black at the tip, white at the base.

e3zdkdo.jpg

Bibbers tangles himself up in that curtain all the time - because he's so fabulous.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
When our cats are "Fully Charged," they run up the walls, across the ceiling and down the other side!

If if you have indoor cats, like we do, I have a wooden ladder from our studio I bring it in, and that love it! They climb up and down it, and get up on the beams that make up our Mid Century Modern home where the cats are kept.

If if you bring in a leader, they instantly know what to do. Very cute and fun for them and us.

And, after a deep kitty cat nap they wake up - "Fully Charged!" WILD! I love it when they go wild!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
After the earthquake today, my outdoor Colony Crew hid for hours, the indoor cats, not too much. Anyone else have odd reactions from their feline friends, and on the same day as fireworks, which I love but cats and dogs hate.

The fireworks have freaked out the indoor cats!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Outdoor animals have their feet in direct contact with the ground; this is probably why they seem to sense earthquakes slightly earlier than us sock-and-shoe clad humans do. In addition, some animals can sense the earth's magnetic field, which probably gets disturbed a bit by an earthquake. It must be really disorienting for them.

BVH

Flashaholic
Our precious Manny Man journeyed to his next life last Sunday. In 4 very short months, we grew quickly to love him dearly. We miss him tremendously.

BVH, I'm sorry to read of your loss. That's a damn shame. :awman:

Flapjack and Oreo paid Star an early morning visit. I think Oreo had bad intentions. Fortunately, I decided to go check on Star. After this picture was taken, Oreo turned and walked away. As Oreo approached Flapjack, he stood and they threw a few paws at each other's faces. Then Flapjack followed Oreo home.

92bhBBy.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Just something about grey cats like that one.... Always reminds me of Clovis from the Stephen King movie "Sleep Walkers." Had an All-Star cast of actors, all of whom were horrible! Clovis the cat literally gave the best acting performance out of everyone on that movie! Not even remotely joking!

"Just you and me now, Clovis."