Who's jumped on the netbook bandwagon?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You can partition a hard drive any way you want; there could be any number of reasons a manufacturer would create two equally sized partitions, and if your PC/hard drive was pre-owned, who knows..

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually common practice with computer manufacturers. All our acers come that way. also come with a hidden rescue partition that comes in handy when we fire so--er, when we have to reset the computer....

:twothumbsPartition magic was a great program.

prof

Enlightened
update. The other day my new office laptop (an hp) began bluescreening. The video driver was messing up. I called our tech support group, then fired up my old laptop. While it booted, I plugged my monitor, keyboard, and mouse into my hp netbook. I had it up and running before the old gateway booted. I was able to function all day with just the netbook. I was grading excel homeworks, downloading, using web browser all at once.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at BJs and was checking out an Acer Aspire AS1410 for $400. While just a tad bigger then the typical generic notebook these days with a screen size of 11.6", the package was still so small that I think if you're willing to carry around a 10.1" screen sized notebook, you won't notice the very slight enlarged size of this netbook. Spec wise, it blew away all the 10.1" Atom based netbooks. Faster processor, higher res screen, bigger hard drive, 2 Gig mem, upgradable to 4, better onboard graphics. The only negative I could see is the battery doesn't provide the ten super life that some of these netbooks provide but still, it carries a six-cell battery with a claim of six hours. It gets very positive reviews and certainly if I decide to jump on the netbook bandwagon, this is at the top of the list.

steveG

Enlightened
I bought an Asus EeePC 900A earlier this year and love it. When on off-road trips I generally have a GoPro video camera, digital video camera and digital still camera that all use the same type of SD card. The Netbook accepts the same card, so it makes it a piece of cake to transfer media from the cards. It's not the fastest thing on the planet, but considering what I use it for and the fact that it was only $200, it's tough to beat. It's small enough that I keep it in my backpack and in the car wherever I go... much easier than traveling with my 17" Dell.

I like it so much that when one of my 2 other computers takes a dump I think I'll buy another slightly larger and faster netbook.

steveG

Enlightened
It also works great for movies. Add external speakers and you've got yourself a mini and very portable theater.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
We'd looked at the Acer Aspire AS1410 the other day as well. The Asus has the 1.66 and Acer a 1.4 Ghz CPU. In practice I dunno if it will be an issue. The 6 hour battery in real world probably sub 5 hours might be something. Given the cost, it is quite appealing. By the time one finishes with an Asus, 1G memory bump and even if putting in a larger drive, the Acer is already there. Just wasn't as thrilled with Vista as the OS.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the reviews I read, the architecture of the Intel Core 2 Solo makes it significantly faster then any of the Atoms, despite the 1.4 Ghz CPU speed. Acer is coming out with another 11.6" Netbook The "Ferrari One" which has a dual core AMD CPU.

We'd looked at the Acer Aspire AS1410 the other day as well. The Asus has the 1.66 and Acer a 1.4 Ghz CPU. In practice I dunno if it will be an issue. The 6 hour battery in real world probably sub 5 hours might be something. Given the cost, it is quite appealing. By the time one finishes with an Asus, 1G memory bump and even if putting in a larger drive, the Acer is already there. Just wasn't as thrilled with Vista as the OS.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Netbooks could be really versatile little machines (even more than they already are) if Micro$oft didn't regulate them to death.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/22/microsoft-publishes-maximum-windows-7-netbooks-specs/
The single core processor limit is thanks to MS. Intel has a very capable dual core Atom (330) with around 8W power consumption.
The 1GB memory limit, crummy graphics (DX9 or less), and small HDD size (160GB or less) are also thanks to MS. The incentive for netbook makers to stay within the limits set by MS comes in the form of reduced price for OS licenses ($15 per license for XP). That's less than 1/3 the price of a Vista license for a full size laptop. The restrictions are relaxed some for Windows 7 but the single core processor limitation remains.

It's a shame really, as the technology exists to produce reasonably priced netbooks that are capable enough (by plugging in an external monitor, ODD, keyboard, and mouse) to be used by most people as a main computer.

Well if one company ever decides to tell MS to stuff it (actually, they all should) I'll be on board for one. With OS's like Linux and Android around, MS should be nothing more than another option in the crowd. (and a resource hog of an option at that.) I'd rather have the option of buying a netbook with no OS offered.

Last edited:

MikeF

Enlightened
Well if one company ever decides to tell MS to stuff it (actually, they all should) I'll be on board for one. With OS's like Linux and Android around, MS should be nothing more than another option in the crowd. (and a resource hog of an option at that.) I'd rather have the option of buying a netbook with no OS offered.

There is an Archos Netbook running Unbutu 9.0.4 that has a 500GB HD, 2GB of Ram and a 6 cell battery. It looks like right now it is available in France.
http://archosfans.com/2009/06/15/archos-10-ubuntu-with-500gb-hard-disk-and-2gb-ram-released/

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the little use thus far on the Acer 1410, I'm quite pleased.

Quick comments:

Immediately installed an additional 2G memory module for 4G total system memory.

Deleted the bloatware and trail stuff.

Re-partitioned using Easus partition software.

Didn't need to buy a CD/DVD drive...loaded the programs onto flash memory and used the USB or SD ports/slot.

I'm getting about 4 hours of mixed use, the vids eat battery time down. Power settings, the screen is set at 1/4 brightness and to me that is the easiest on the eyeballs.

This will stutter playing 704x396 full screen on Media Player Classic. When left in a window, it does fine.

Really happy this unit has a 250G drive...it isn't much but that extra bit over the 160G is nice headroom.

Full sized keys...excellent. Still getting adjusted to the layout.

Vista, I don't like. This is my first time using it and the warning messages for near every click is annoying. Win 7 is free so I'll get to see how that is. Nice that Acer has drivers available for XP, Vista and some for Win 7. If they had bundled this with XP Home, I'd have been happier, it's a minor point since this is used for casual stuffs.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't need to buy a CD/DVD drive...loaded the programs onto flash memory and used the USB or SD ports/slot.

I wouldn't even bother with an external CD/DVD either, if you can make due. The way they're talking, 2 terabyte SD cards are a possibility within 5 years. Optical media is on borrowed time I'd say. Just grab a USB-powered external HD if need be for the time being.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your review on the Acer 1410. Was hoping it might play video better. If I get one and use it as a travel computer I definitely want to be able to play DVD res ISO's or divx files, especially given the greater resolution of the 11.6" screen.

I've read that some of the future netbooks (I believe HP has one released now) will contain more powerful Radeon graphic chipsets which greatly improve the video performance over the current Intel onboard graphics. Hopefully come tax return time when I'll seriously consider a netbook purchase, these might be more commonplace.

From the little use thus far on the Acer 1410, I'm quite pleased.

Quick comments:

Immediately installed an additional 2G memory module for 4G total system memory.

Deleted the bloatware and trail stuff.

Re-partitioned using Easus partition software.

I'm getting about 4 hours of mixed use, the vids eat battery time down. Power settings, the screen is set at 1/4 brightness and to me that is the easiest on the eyeballs.

This will stutter playing 704x396 full screen on Media Player Classic. When left in a window, it does fine.

Really happy this unit has a 250G drive...it isn't much but that extra bit over the 160G is nice headroom.

Full sized keys...excellent. Still getting adjusted to the layout.

Vista, I don't like. This is my first time using it and the warning messages for near every click is annoying. Win 7 is free so I'll get to see how that is. Nice that Acer has drivers available for XP, Vista and some for Win 7. If they had bundled this with XP Home, I'd have been happier, it's a minor point since this is used for casual stuffs.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my sys ad buddy's suggested an ultra portable as a nice middle ground in computing power, video and storage. I thought about it too since a base net book like the Asus was the initial starting point but hitting $700 wasn't a consideration. There were enough close-out's on 14" laptops to bring them into the picture of netbook vs. small laptop. The quandary begins...all these little bumps for that "little bit more" set in. Soon, the price has risen accordingly. :)

Getting back to this Acer, it is a nice step-up over the smaller Atom powered units, the accompanying price is fitting. Just that little bit more in keyboard, CPU, memory and hard drive storage. I suppose for the improved video, it would move them into the dual core CPU level units.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I jumped on it and I personally love my netbook! I have an ASUS 1005HA. It is sleek, light weight, and everything can be uploaded on this puppy with a flashdrive. The only thing that is bothering me is that I am an APPLE person, and APPLE might come out with their own netbook sometime this month - 2010 as rumors have it... so I dont know if I might have to bite the bullet and buy that $800 netbook when it comes out.... just hope it has a keyboard and not entirely touchscreen....

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I jumped on it and I personally love my netbook! I have an ASUS 1005HA. It is sleek, light weight, and everything can be uploaded on this puppy with a flashdrive. The only thing that is bothering me is that I am an APPLE person, and APPLE might come out with their own netbook sometime this month - 2010 as rumors have it... so I dont know if I might have to bite the bullet and buy that $800 netbook when it comes out.... just hope it has a keyboard and not entirely touchscreen....

Their answer was the Air. However at that price it didn't pan out too well. I'd say a netbook is something between the Air and their iPod Touch. What they really need to do is just release a few accessories and upgrades for the Touch and they wouldn't even need to make a netbook. I don't understand why they don't allow their bluetooth Keyboard to work with the iPhone and Touch. That would be a great note taking combo. Tack on Jailbreaking for backgrounder and it's literally a computer in your pocket.

steveG

Enlightened
FYI: The only thing my netbook doesn't have that I would really like to have is an HDMI output. My larger laptop (that generally stays at home) has one and it's handy to be able to connect to the TV so easily and quickly.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
FYI: The only thing my netbook doesn't have that I would really like to have is an HDMI output. My larger laptop (that generally stays at home) has one and it's handy to be able to connect to the TV so easily and quickly.

Very good point!