Who's not buying another light till the XM-L?

MikeAusC

Enlightened
. . . . I have yet to see any single 18650 SST-50 advertised as driven above 2500mA, or I would consider upgrading from my 2.5A MC-E flashlights.

The big advantage of replacing an MC-E/P7 with an SST-50 - without increasing the drive current - is to get rid of the black cross caused by having 4 separate chips.

There may be an increase in Lumens due to mproved chip efficiency.

Good day

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning to order more of the NW Quarks. I buy lights not for a month use but for years of service. My first NW Quark performs perfectly in its specific application and I hope it will continue to do so for the next -say- 2-3 years at least.

There will be more revolutionary changes in this period. And certainly there will be brighter and more efficient lights but still a 3 year old Quark will still be a useful tool. Reason: My requirements change at a slower pace than technology.

It's like buying a computer. You always buy them too early because in the blink of an eye it will be outdated :shakehead. If you always wait for the latest development you never get one.

If the new LED generation is so great - well, a good reason to add a new treasure to my collection. :D

Oh and by the way: Not buying any flashlight until January? :( You must be kidding me! Someone give me resuscitation please, quick! :faint:

Lucciola
Well said :thumbsup:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Not buy another flashlight until the XM-L?

Just one word:

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING :eek: !

The blood of a true flashaholic does not run through you veins my friend to even think such thoughts!

I feel mortally wounded to hear those words on a CPF thread!

I think, I'll go lie down; I feel feint ....

No I won't, there's another torch I have to investigate further ... :thumbsup:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I wonder if some people applied the same logic to the Surefire Invictus lights that were supposed to be so marvellous.

They never materialized at all, so the people saving up all their hard-earned cash and passing on perhaps many other very good opportunities would have been well and truly pissed off.

Who's to say that the XM-L, which is only vaporware at the moment will even materialize?

If it does, who's to say that it will live up to its specs?

I'd say, its rather a dangerous game to play, waiting on vaporware.

Ever heard of the proverb, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"?

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Realistic estimates for white light are somewhere closer to 300 lm/W.

Isn't that well over two times as efficient as the current R5 LEDs? :confused:
We seem to have skipped right from R5 to roughly R16...

grumbler

Newly Enlightened
I bought my SureFires to use for the rest of my life. I had never thought of them like an iPod with models that become outdated.

But I don't have to be worried, because Surefire will release new heads as technology improves, similar to how they released the KX2C (and others), right?

jacknife

Newly Enlightened
This XM-L What exactly will it do? more throw ?, more lums ? and in any small lights ?? also like AA or AAA - or will it need 18650 .s to push it>??

jellydonut

Enlightened
The XM-L will be more efficient and claim the throne from the XP-G for most efficient emitter. 750 lumens @ 2 amperes:sssh:

It'll be bigger but from my understanding still smaller than the SST-50 for instance.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
XM was announced shortly after the Xp-G S2 ...

XP-G S2 was supposedly going to come out early in 2010 , now its late 2010 and no sign ....
Last I checked , I heard cree was having trouble manufacturing the emitters in large enough numbers .. [ Both XM and XP-G S2 ]

So :shakehead , it might be a bit of a wait ...
Im already buying lights with a view to upgrading to the XM emitter once they are available ... But that might be a while from now ... Dont hold your breath what ever you do .

Pliauga

Newly Enlightened
No new flashlight until the XM-L or something comparatively good comes out, no way.

No new drop ins, or at least no new pills? Yeah, that could be so.

I'm still contemplating on buying an SST-50. But I hope my "Light wallet syndrome" will counteract my severe case of Upgraditis.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless it's a typo, Cutter Electronics are advertising the XM-L as having a maximum drive current of 3A.

According to Cree's own press release the XM led produces 750 lumens at 2A, it doesn't state that that is it's maximum drive current so if it can be driven at 3A then it would stand to reason to be a whole lot brighter still, albeit a little more inefficiently.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how much heat it would generate at those rates?

I have an XP-G R5 that runs at 1.4A on high. After running it on high for a few minutes, the entire flashlight gets so hot you can't hold it anymore.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stopped holding my breath for new technology a long time ago. You hear about great discoveries every day, but only once in a blue moon are they actually put in practice and, when they are, only make a minor difference, unless you spend $$$$$$$$.

LED Technology has been growing at a steady pace for the last decade, despite yearly announcements of major break-throughs that will change everything. I still use my 4 years old Q5 light and it's still more than half the brightness of a brand-new R5 light.

It's a little like waiting for the next computer generation before buying one: there will always be a new generation less than 8 months ahead, but you want one now. I choose to not wait and get my satisfaction right now.

So, in answer to the original question: no way, I'm not waiting for anything, there's like 500$ worth of lights that I already want and I'm getting them before Christmas! I'll just get more lights when they come out with something else I want!