Why are prices erased after point of sale on lights?

cy

Flashaholic
A few points worth considering:

1. B/S/T is the glue that holds CPF together!

2. liquidity is what makes or breaks a marketplace.

3. Pricing history establishes support or pricing stability.

It's not unusual for cpf'ers to have several thousand $$ invested in lights. there's been many a post selling off their collection, say to finiance a down payment on a house, fix a broken transmission, etc etc etc....

Leaving your SOLD item's pricing helps maintain liquidity and help us all!

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
Note: We don't understand the practice of "editing out the sale price" after the sale is over. It's considered respectful if the seller leaves the price so that others may know in the future what an item may bring in, while considering a like item to be sold. Additionally, it may give a buyer an idea what he may be putting out when considering purchasing an item.

Quoted from CPF B/S/T Lights Forum Policy.

-DF

nethiker

Enlightened
It could be that the seller has the light listed at $100, and the buyer P.M.'s an offer for $80. If the seller takes the $80 offer, should they leave the $100 in the original post? I suspect that some prices are removed because they don't reflect the actual price sold. Since the negotiation on price is a private matter between buyer and seller, some people probobly feel it is no one elses business.

I agree that the original sales thread should be left in tact. It should just be kept in mind that the information it provides is an asking price, not a selling price.

*Bryan*

Enlightened
A lot of good points here.

Another thing to take into account is what CY said. I sold almost every light I owned to fix a transmission. Some of those were just bought only to be turned around and sold at a loss. I know for a fact that I sold stuff cheaper than they should have sold for, but I was in a bind.

My situation doesn't help make fair market value, it hurts it.

also, I change my sales to sold. I don't know why I do it. Not to hide the cost of anything. I won't do it anymore.

Last edited:

colubrid

Enlightened
Planterz said:
I got into the practice of chaning my price to SOLD! after I got tired of people coming along (somtimes months after the sale) and asking if it was still available, despite having said that it's sold elsewhere in the post, or bottom of the thread.

Also, it prevents other people from saying stuff like "but he sold his for $100 2 weeks ago, and you want $120 for yours?". Doesn't happen here much, but I've seen this sort of thing happen elsewhere. I've even seen this happen with the exact same item (not just the same model, but the exact same item). Hasn't happened to me personally, but I see it a lot, and it only serves to **** people off (both sellers and buyers).

I never really thought about it from the other point of view, although I have a couple times asked someone how much they sold their item for (after editing the price to say "Sold"), once to see how much I should pay, once to see how much I should ask for an item I'm selling.

If people here prefer that I leave the price up after a sale is completed (I'll change the text color though), but I'll probably keep to my practice of removing the price elsewhere.

Why mot just mark it *SOLD* before or after the ad proce?

guncollector

Enlightened
B/S/T is provided as a service to the CPF community.

But, it cannot be all things for everyone--and it certainly will never be a perfect "secondary market value"-research tool because enforcing a "leave the price"-policy is simply untenable.

Let me make this clear: there will not be any B/S/T Rule changes on this matter.

We suggest to those who sell here, that they leave the price up, but we will not mandate it.

Personally, I generally always leave my asking price up on anything that I sell. Want to affect change? Vote with your wallets. Support sellers that leave the price up, and avoid those that don't. Simple as that.

colubrid

Enlightened
I don't think it should be made into a rule either. Maybe more edicate and pressure from others on this site by bringing this topic up every once in a while.:)

cy

Flashaholic
market places that do large volume of transactions are ruthlessly effecient.

fire sales to gain funds quickly are factored into marketplace. One of CPF's greatest assets is it's liquidity. IE meaning the large number of willing buyers that frequent CPF.

it's not unusual for $400+ lights to be snapped up in a matter of minutes. it's also normal for $40 lights to be snapped up equally quickly.

there's something for everyone's budget. Hey we all started somewhere... now back to topic on hand, which is pricing.

knowing there's a high probablity of recovering 90% of your costs in a nice light. (if you purchase wisely) ecourages yet more sales... see a pattern developing?

cy

Flashaholic
agree totally with that statement, just that original posted price should stay.

final selling price is between seller and buyer.

watt4 said:
I think the sold price is between the buyer and the seller. PM the buyer if you want to know.