Why Buy All These Bulbs...

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wik3pu2l.jpg

Incandescent nostalgia? $15 worth of 3-cell PR bulbs that, really, I don't need. KPR103 and 130 in 10-packs because, why not? Also some vacuum PR versions. And a couple of HPR44 and a HPR53 because, though comparatively expensive, they might be neat.

Back in 1985 I had a 6V lantern that came with a halogen (HPR51? HPR50?) that was really bright at the time (60lm? tight focus) and never burnt out (my parents still have and use it occasionally)

I got a bunch of Maglites, including a 3D and 3C incandescent that _weren't_ the new Xenon type. Also got a 4D and 2D xenon, and I do have an old PR collar so could use those. Somewhere I have two other collars from InReTech triple-luxeon upgrades. Never mind the handful of xenon official maglite bulbs I got with them because, well, they _are_ really good incandescent bulbs. Not sure how the bi-pin are better than the PR mag-num-star version, but whatever. Maybe so people won't put PR bulbs in the lights and wonder why it's not as bright any more (same maglite logic that had them saying OMG! No rechargeables! for so long).

Anyway, some cheap fun just having a pile of 3-cell flashlight bulbs. A Sofirn IF22A came in the same day's mail. Guess I just like flashlights.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I need to order bulbs for my microscope lamp and the seller lists bulb for 33 cents. Description says for pack of 10. So I messaged the seller if thats correct and am waiting for a reply. If yes im gonna end up with 100 of those. But I cant imagine.

konifans

Enlightened
For 3-cell / 3.6V bulb, a few years ago I bought 160pcs of this bulb called WIXPR31017 XPR3.
It is a 3.6V 0.85A Xenon bulb, made in Japan. Beautiful beam pattern because the head is perfectly round.
I also have:
Maglite LWSA301 Krypton 130pcs
Maglite LMSA301 Krypton 90pcs
Osram HPR53 24pcs this 4V Halogen bulb is also for 3-cell

DSC_5048.jpg

The biggest problem I have is that I use less than 1 piece of this 3.6V bulb per year. So they are just for collection...
My suggestion is, you do not need to worry so much and buy so many bulbs.
If you really need to store so many of these, you better wait until someone is selling a large lot with a good price. This could happen once in a few years so be patient.
Another suggestion is that Xenon / Halogen are the best, then Maglite or Philips. Avoid CEC.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better check those cec kpr130.
I just got a lot in that are nowhere near spec.
Really dim and orange on 3 d nimh and only pull about 600ma.
I suspect they are mismarked and there is a whole run of these out there.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw phillips kpr=mag whitestar.
Only difference is mag colorcoding.
Its bassackwards from the norm.
Blue normally is a 2 cell/pr2 type.
Mag uses green.
Which normally is 3 cell/pr3 type
Here mag uses blue.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
3EAB2A43-4C18-4954-9529-2563ACAEEB53.jpeg

A couple years back an eBay seller had 30 boxes of these for $35. Being 3D size lights were the #1 seller for decades there were goodzillions produced across the globe.

Tung-Sol ((tungstan/sun) had their own lab in New Jersey and produced durable bulbs back in the day. Properly driven bulbs outlasted the competition year after year. Nice beam, few artifacts, these are great for vintage flashlights. But they don't take well to being over driven.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good deal!
Tung-sol made some really good vacuum tubes too.
Looking over at a case of 144 6550 tubes....
I have some of their pr bulbs so old they have brass and copper bases.
Saved for use in antiques.
The kpr's are for running into the dirt overdriving,ect
Or putting in whatever.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I used to buy Eiko bulbs before I found a supply of Maglite bulbs. Not sure if they are still plentiful but Brinkmann Nextar bulbs were pretty good too.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think i still have a bagfull of the brinkman bipins.
Pulls from mods "back in the day"
Btw i might have stumbled onto some kpr139.
Getting hard to find.
Those are good for driving with 4 nicd/nimh

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Good stuff. I have a ton of bulbs that I'll probably never use in 20 lifetimes, but it's nice to know I have them as backups.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another to grab if seen cheap is pelican 3754.
For the "big ed" rechargeable.
The hi does nicely on 4 d nicad or nimh.
Lo gets used in lanterns.
Had a really long filament not conducive to throw.
Hi focuses nicely in a mag

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Glad to see I'm not the only one with plastic bags full of flashlight bulbs from the 80's LOL!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks awfully familiar to what my bench looked like during my incan modding days.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good catch, congrads, i see 3 halogen bulbs there, imo most valuable items in those bags. Even before leds, hpr's were not as common as krypton or xenon.