Why carry more than three lights?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep reading posts of people who routinely go around with as many as six, eight or even more lights on themselves.
I don't get it.

I normally carry my NDI as main EDC and a fauxton on my keychain for backup/secondary use.

I can understand why someone might want to have three lights, splitting the output range inbetween them and using whatever light is better for the purpose instead of having a one-size-fits-all as the NDI, but why six or more? What good does it do to carry so many lights? Do they even get used?

Not that I don't want people to do so - by all means, cover yo'self in lights from head to toes if it makes you happy - I'm just curious.

Note that this post is not directed to security officers, spelunkers or such people who might very realistically have a use for many flashlights.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, it is first of all, the almost guaranteed unpreparedness of others around me. I know that no one else is going to have a light and that many co workers are going to need a light. So I have a couple to pass around.
Second it is the redundancy issue. what if the first 3 fail? :D :crackup:
Actually it's more like I have a couple different functions. I have a compact light that can go with me anywhere no matter what I'm doing or not wearing. I have a light for flood, a light for throw, a light with blinkie nonsense. I always have an AA light as well as a CR123 light and usually something based on 18650 too.
I have a couple lights for "base camp" ie my manpurse backpack. one that stays on me, and at least one light in every other bag I may be carrying like the laptop tote or the "karate bag."
So in the end I usually end up with around 6 lights on me all together when I"m doing a fully loaded day at work.

quatra2008

Newly Enlightened
it just makes sense for some people and others it doesn't. i carry a tiablo in the car with two spare batteries and my 6pd with q5 drop-in and two spare batteries in my pocket. this does it for me because i don't think a situation that I will encounter will require any more than this because i live in the city. however others who go many places in a day or live where streetlights are not a dime a dozen need more variety than two lights can offer and i wish i lived there :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Note that this post is not directed to security officers, spelunkers or such people who might very realistically have a use for many flashlights.

Oh darn it! I was really hoping to participate in this thread. :D

Brozneo

Enlightened
I carry one on me during the day, but on duty I carry two or three - one for close up work eg. Surefire A2 or a Milky Modded L1, then a high output light or scene lighting eg. Mag11, 5 Cree Mag or my newly accquired M603 (a M6 with 7 LEDs putting out 603 lumens plus - also done by Milky)... Then I carry 8 spare batteries - a set for each of the lights, everything fits in my pouches etc well so it doesn't look like Im carrying much!

cal..45

Enlightened
I keep reading posts of people who routinely go around with as many as six, eight or even more lights on themselves.
I don't get it.

you are not alone, I don't get it either. I can see why people collect flashlights but not why to carry around them all the time. I carry a fenix P2D Q5 and a L1D R100 as EDC always on my belt (sometimes I interchange the heads), because I want one light with permanent turbo and one with low setting. both lights cover every range within 50 meters away, what is good enough for 95% of all tasks. for the rest 5% I grab my dereelight DBS, mainly when walking my dog in the field/woods and want to light up things 50+ meters away. but even then I gotta admit its more out of fun then it really is a necessety.

personally I think its far more important to have at least one spare battery for each light than to carry around 5,6,7+ lights. the possibility of failure on modern LED lights is very, very low, running out of power on the other hand, very high (asuming one doesn't put fresh batteries/rechargebales in the lights every day)

regards, holger

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll often have three on me, an ARC AAA-P on a titanium chain around my neck, a Fenix P1 clipped to a beltloop and hanging in my pocket, and a Surefire E2E with E2C converter running a P61 HOLA. All three serve different purposes, although I suppose I could get away with just carrying my SF A2, but I like the redundancy of multiple lights in case one fails on me. If I have more than three lights on me, it is usually because I have something small like an extra ARC AAA or a Photon on my keychain.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I tend to think of it as 'layers' of lighting....

At the centre is my Arc AAA-P on a neck cord, I've got that one antime I'm out of bed. Anytime it's dark, or during winter, I've probably got a jacket with me, so there's a Surefire C2 with KL3 and SW02 in a pocket.

If I know that I will need a light, then I add one that's appropriate.... At work it's a SF L7, out of work, it could be a SF L1, up to my SF M6, depends on the planned usage.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to see the look on people's faces when I start pulling them out.

"Geez, boy, how many flashlights DO you have?"

"Um, lessee... 1... 2... 3... 4... "

Dantor

Enlightened
I like to carry 3-5 on me but seldom do. The main reason is like stated, redundancy. Like I said I don't always carry as many as I'd like (I forget, in a hurry etc), so having one on the keychain, one in the psk with the sak in the pocket, tiny ones clipped to zippers on coats and sweaters, my main one in a sheath.

Their would be few things aggravating to me than being outside somewhere and not having a light on me in a time of need! "at home I have.....grrrrr"

Another reason is "we can!" because were flashaholics :D and if it doesn't impair anything your doing (as in you can walk reasonably upright) god bless us all!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh darn it! I was really hoping to participate in this thread.
"Not directed" does not mean "forbidden". Please do partecipate if you want. :)

Well, by 99.9999% of the world's population's way of thinking, carrying ANY flashlight would be insane except during a power outage.
Not really, at least in my experience. I've had the "why are you carrying a light" question posed to me, but most of the people just get it that it's potentially very useful, especially since I don't usually pull the NDI out as a conversation starter but only when it's needed.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I dont get it either, but I find my selves with more than three lights sometimes anyway.. :)

At most I have Photon freedom around the neck, main EDC Fenix L1T v2 in RF pocket, on keys backup Fenix E0 and cheap coin cell light. That makes four. The usual number are three, but sometimes four, and in one of my jackets I have a Lumapower d-mini, so at most five. but I have never needed more than one! :)

And of course I bring more with me sometimes when taking walks.

A Q to you that bring lights to lend out to other people, and that they might not get back to you. Are those cheap lights? I couldn't do with not getting any of my lights back!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's certainly one of the pleasures with multi light EDC. The inevitable smiles as I get them all out and people start shining them about.

But Ty, with only four you're really not trying very hard! :poke:

Plus, since we do have power outs, even in a big city like London we have at least a couple a year, it's great to just calmly set up a half dozen torches throughout the office or home in no time at all and instantly people are happy.

Incidentally, I carry AA,CR123A,CR2 and AAA fuelled torches as well as fauxtons. I don't mind bulging pockets!!

Carry lots...go on...you know you want to...:nana::grin2:

Be lucky...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I very rarely carry more than 3. Even when caving or hiking over 4 is very rare..:shrug:

Headlamp, mid-sized light (U2, C2 (led), Spear) and smaller 1 cell light as backup.
If I know I'm lending out lights I'll bring a couple that are good, but won't bring tears if/when they are damaged.

Normally I carry a HDS/NDI and a photon on my keys. There is a C2 in my bag though..

Sverre

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have 2 keychains and have a light on each (L0D CE & UK 2AAA eLED).
My goto EDC is an Ultrafire 602C (AAA) loose in my pocket.

-----

If I go out at night more than a 15 minute walk from home I will carry my Fenix L1T v2.0 (bright 1 hour) or Elektrolumens Lucidus XR-1 (not so bright 3 hours).

If I go out knowing I need light I carry one of My Little Friends.

LK5GB7

Newly Enlightened
i just carry my surefire l6 with me. to hell with what others think...

KingGlamis

Banned

I'm the same exact way. Daily I only carry three flashlights, but when camping or at some fun event at night I go way overkill just because it's fun to see people's reactions. Plus I can show non-flashaholics a whole range of lights and explain how they are different.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For me I think it's a matter of available space. Don't really like bulging pockets or stuff on the belt. So, an E0 in one pocket, Arc AAA on the keychain, and often the Proton Pro clipped in another pocket. Now if I carried some kind of bag or pack I'm sure another bigger light would be present.

Geoff