Why do insects fly towards the light?

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
An interesting article, perhaps this is due to the fact that the light breaks their navigation system in flight))

While this article is being prepared for publication in a peer-reviewed journal, a preview version can be read here:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I just assumed there all over we just have the ability to see them in the light. But I'm not the sharpest spoon in the shed

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I tried to read the article but all of those big words just caused me to become bored. Bottom line is nobody knows why instects fly towards the light.

You'll have to ask them why they do it.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
some where in the insect world they have a forum and they asking why do them hairless apes walk around with portable lights

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Successful flying insects of the past chose to keep light above themselves; kind of like how we like to be on the sunny side of the grass.

Bugs have not quite figured out humans using light sources. They fly around porch lights with their backs to the source. That's what I got.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast

TPA

Enlightened
I did try this one night... I had a moth flying around the house and bothering me, so I lit a single candle in the middle of the room and sure enough, after awhile the moth went into the flame.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I heard a discussion of this article on the radio a few days ago. Fascinating, but I still don't see why they seem to go towards a light source in the first place.
Well, when we have suffered a terrible physical trauma, we too go towards the very large bright light that we see.