Why do you collect flashlights?

Z

z_Snareman

Searched and didn't see this sort of thread...

I'm just getting into this and have 5 lights. I was content spending $6 on an LED light at Lowes or Home Depot and thought I was doing well and had a nice bright light. For a low light shooting class at my range they recommended a light with a momentary on rear clicky switch and they were selling an eGear 110 lumens like for about $45 which I thought was just insane to pay for a flashlight. Then I got a Surefire for $130 (which I reasoned by paying for it out of my expense account for work), then an ITP, then a Fenix, then a 4Sevens and am about to get another Fenix. I clearly don't need this many lights. Two, maybe 3 would have been plenty. I have enough for every situation. My friend (who also just registered here as he seems to be getting the disease a bit too) makes fun of me. We had always joked about the fact that there were flashlight forums. I mean, who talks about flashlights????? (and now here I am... :shakehead ) Now I don't leave home without one (usually my Fenix PD20 or Surefire Backup) and am amazed at how many uses I find for it.

About 2 months ago I bought my dad a $40 ITP which he thought was an insane amount to pay for a light. Yesterday I was talking to him about 2 of the new Fenix lights and now he doesn't think that $70 is a bad price at all. :)

Soooo... on to the question. Why do you/we collect flashlights? What draws you to having so many and want to keep buying more?

Exide

Newly Enlightened
I like restoring torches, I love to rebuild original batterys to keep them original, i use to rebuild batterys foir vintage radios but over the years a accumulated masses of batterys including some torch cells so decided to give it a go, my best loved are Ever Ready, there easy to work with unlike radios and i have been collecting since 2001. it is addictive and when in spain i brought back some Cegasa torches to see how they compare to british ones, i tend to go fior the ones in original boxes but this is not possible all the time and i do come accross unboxed examples which i also buy,, Ever Ready does feature the main part of my collection as i have always collected this make.

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
I love having good quality tools that help me do my job better or make my life easier...and I'm always on the hunt for the next greatest thing! That's why I collect.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
I come from the 'practical tools' perspective. I don't 'collect,' per se. Beyond a couple of exceptions, the majority of what I have is SolarForce L2 18650 hosts and LED drop-in modules. The most expensive and 'rare' items I've got are the LED modules themselves, none of which was made longer than 4yrs ago.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
I guess my reason for collecting would be, I like to have a variety no matter
What it is in life, and quality handheld lighting is no different. It all started with a surefire 6p-led. And when i finally experienced what a "good" flashlight was, It felt good owning a light that could potentially last me till the day I die. I Then came across a quark 123^2 xpg r5 new in the box sitting in a decrepid old Pawn shop showcase for $55 no tAx. Well i had never heard of 4sevens before coming across it, and there I was buying it After knowing it existed for 60 seconds! Now I'm waiting for a fenix ld10 because I want a single aa light. So......yea, Variety.

EDIT*** Fast forward 5 years!

Im still collecting for variety. Customs, and Ti lights now.

Last edited:

notinthedark

Newly Enlightened
OK, been lurking for some time now. Friends for years, well decades, know I carry some kind of "light". It's bad enough they know I carry batteries for which they know will fit some of their toys. Oh, they appreciate the 'power', but not one them of them "can see the light". I continue to enlighten them and I am certainly glad I am not alone. :thumbsup: CPF is awesome and now I know I am not alone in my ways. Every day user.......I COLLECT AND CARRY BECAUSE I CAN'T HELP IT! :eek:

sbv

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

it's just like an infect.
You see it, you like it, you don't know why.
I like the smart one''s where you can't see, it is something special.
I can't say or describe it why it is like that.
It is very serious but it has nothing to do withnsomething real.
It's a kind of sickness.

that's all

cu and happy collecting

sbv

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always had some sort of hobby which is "just mine" no matter what anyone else thought of it because it brought me pleasure, always some form of unique creativity to it and was a relaxing escape from the day to day. First when I was living in the city it was online gaming for a long while, then I moved into RC cars for a solid 5-10 years (there was always a bit of overlap) when I moved out of the city, then I moved into flashlights. I've always enjoyed flashlights, but never knew what was out there until Google led me to this site 2 years ago - it's an expensive hobby, but really no more so than buying electric motors that cost $200+ or the latest and greatest video card to get 3 more fps on the latest Video game. Since I had my daughter I don't have the online to focus in online gaming and she is freakishly scared of the RC cars (we're going to work on that one - she's getting her own for for 2ns birthday this summer :) ).

I enjoy all aspect of collecting and using flashlights. I do have one rule though - I never keep a flashlight I can't see some practical use for at some time. I have flashlight which are users and ones which are collectors - but I still use the collectors from time to time. I also enjoy modding all of my lights and I have gotten pretty good at it - basic LED, driver, wiring (I'm and EE by degree - so that is my strength) - no machining because I'm one of those people who just can't cut a piece of wood straight even with a miter box. (Ughhh!) I started with production lights, the progressed into custom lights, now I am moving back in the production territory with the intent of modding any light I purchase to my liking. My next conquest will be modding a RRT-0 and a TK35 to neutral LEDs - so that should take some time - these are going to be users. I also just received a beautiful McGizmo HA PD-S from another member in an offline trade deal - I think I'm going to try a XM-L LED in there and see how it goes - but this light is a collector and will spend most of it's time on the shelf.

Like many others, I am sure, I enjoy just sitting back and admiring the collection I have (currently about 20 collectors and 10 true users). I recently sold off about 20 lights because Uncle Sam wasn't very friendly to me this year. :( Oh well........

I've also got a couple of nice knives, but I don't have much interest in expanding that into a collection - I would love to have a John Henry knife at some point in my life.

Now - back to the reviews forums.......

Tango7

Newly Enlightened
My Dad loved LED's. As a kid he was going to mount a 9v and 2 LED's in the little plastic toy police car I had, but I broke/lost it before he could. He even changed our model train signals from grain o'wheat incandescents to LEDs.

Before he passed, he told me that someday we'd have LED replacements for our incandescent bulbs in our houses.

I guess it's kind of a tribute to him that I'm fascinated by them, and thus why I collect them - although on our budget I'm forced to stay at the lower end of the spectrum, so the extended battery life is a plus too :sssh:.

That, and the darn grandkids keep stealing borrowing Grandpa's lights whenever they come over :scowl::rant:.

azzid

Newly Enlightened
I was always interested on anything that glows or emit light. Would always buy cheap flashlights and batteries at the nearest supermarket or hardware when i was a kid. I know that they are tools but i couldn't stop myself to play with them and treat them as toys. And up to now that I have a wife and 2 kids, my fascination with flashlights grew more because of the current led technology that we have right now. Brighter more efficient and tint's that rival incans. There really is no reason i could see to not get hooked/addicted to collecting lights.

flashlight_guy_!

Newly Enlightened
I have always appreciated tools that help you get a job done. There is nothing like not having a hammer when u have a nail to drive or a screwdriver in like situation. But for me the most frustrating is not being able to see what you are doing or where you are going! Enter the flashlight...I have had a love affair with them since my childhood and collecting newer better brighter ones is just plain fun!

richpalm

Banned
If I knew why, I wouldn't be doing it. Why have I always loved antique radios? Damned if I know... all I know is that I do. Same with flashlights. My real rewards come from building and modding; the actual work as opposed to the end result, and the nice rush I get when it lights up for the first time. Same with old radios... when I do a restore and it starts to sing again after being silent for 40-50 years. Indescribable feeling!

Rich

MSteendahl

Newly Enlightened
used to live in MN where the self proclaimed flashlight king am1500 (mayor of the american garage) on the radio started collecting them before y2k... I think he was hoping to get rich selling them when our lights went out on new years eve...

anyway... I like light... I really like making dark things light.
I'm the guy who loves to turn the lights on after a movie and listen to everyone moan because it is too bright.

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
AAAYYYYY Minnasotin'? I listen to the 'flashlight king on the radio. Have often wondered if he was a serious flashlight guy or if it's just a gag....

john-paul

Newly Enlightened
My Dad loved LED's. As a kid he was going to mount a 9v and 2 LED's in the little plastic toy police car I had, but I broke/lost it before he could. He even changed our model train signals from grain o'wheat incandescents to LEDs.

Before he passed, he told me that someday we'd have LED replacements for our incandescent bulbs in our houses.

I guess it's kind of a tribute to him that I'm fascinated by them, and thus why I collect them - although on our budget I'm forced to stay at the lower end of the spectrum, so the extended battery life is a plus too :sssh:.

That, and the darn grandkids keep stealing borrowing Grandpa's lights whenever they come over :scowl::rant:.

Interesting, I have a similar story about my dad. He is now a retired electrician. Growing up he would talk for hours about how much more could be done with led's, while we played with my Radio Shack 100 in 1 electronic kit. (For the record I never could get the AM radio to work.)

As far as collecting FL's now? Not sure why, just love them. I remember the first time I paid more than $20 for a light and thought I was crazy. Now....that's just some batteries. lol

harro

Enlightened
I love that something so small can make sooo much light. I cop heaps of flack from mates about spending the money that we all spend on THAT special torch, but who cares? I've never seen a cheap 2D incan make light like a Jetbeam RRT3 or WE Pilot Whale for example, let alone the myriad of customs around, these days! If you enjoy it ( collecting ), then do it.
Best wishes, Mike.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
A sucker for new technology and anything that can save my "backsides" some day.
chiphead

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a kid growing up in the Philippines, during the time of the American bases here in Clark, Pampanga and Subic, Olongapo, there's a place called Dau, Pampanga where American soldiers would sell their excess stuff (PX goods and old stuff) to Filipino entrepreneurs who would in turn sell them to us civilians. We live in Metro Manila, which is a good two hour drive away. Normally we'd go there when my Uncle (who served in the USAF) was assigned here in the Philippines. It was a long trip (i was a kid then, so staying put for a long period was stressful) but I had so much fun checking out the "imported" stuff for sale. I remember we got Ray-Bans, gardening equipment, heck even my mom's 15-speed blender and a pop-corn machine, all from that place. I remember we'd buy MRE's just to try it out. Before it was in those green cans that was really tough to open! Hahah! Anyway, long story short, one of our trips there i chanced upon a mini Maglite. It was worn, obviously used a lot but was still functioning. I begged my folks to buy it for me even it was a bit expensive (for a flashlight) at the time. They did eventually cave and bought my me first light. I remember cleaning it very well and every night when i went to bed, it was beside me or under my pillow. (i passed through that scared of the dark phase, yes) I was amazed that the small rice-bulb would be so bright, then if you remove the head, you can use it like a candle. To this day, that Mag-lite still functions, i dont use it anymore, but hey, that's what started me in flashlights! :) (That happened almost 30 years ago, my how time flies!)

Anyway, i rationalize to my wife: Hey, I dont drink, I dont smoke, I dont party out with friends, I dont womanize, so let me have my flashlight collection!

I use that line every time she notices that i'm carrying a new flashlight in my hands. haha...

So far i have 9 and counting.

In my collection, i try to avoid collecting several lights of the same brand. I get what i want from a particular brand, then its off to the next brand.

I recently purchased a TK35, (two weeks ago) and now i have my eyes set on a Klarus XT10 (Marshall's personal favorite)[going gear] or a Sunwayman V20C. I'm just trying to decide which matters more, function or beauty. I will get both eventually, but I'm trying to decide which i will get first. :)

Well, good luck guys! Its nice to see so many other collectors out there.

Cheers!

Latest posts