Why do you collect flashlights?

stemll

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if I'm a collector just yet but, with yesterday's DX order I'll have 7. I really only need one so I guess there must be some collector mentality in there somewhere :)

I've had a Maglite or two kicking around the house for years then I found a Fenix PD32 and the difference was just WOW! Now have an E05 on my keys, a Lenser B7 on the bike. Waiting on a POPLite T34 and a Sipik SK68 to go alongside these and the two old Maglites. Yet to move to LI-ion, I'll save that up for later....

Gear guy

Newly Enlightened
Hello, first time posting after alot of reading!

Let me start by saying I have recently become obsessed with Flashlights, and Im still amazed at how powerful they have become. I was first introduced to a high powered light back in '99 when I was allowed to borrow a streamlight stinger, it greatly replaced my hulking Mag Light. Moving right along my buddy introduced Me to his Streamlight Pro Tac HL and I been hooked ever since!

My Collection consists of my Stinger, a Surefire 6P, Fenix PD 35, Nitecore P12 and currently on order is an Eagletac TX25C2

Bertrand

Newly Enlightened
1. I work in a dark bar and I'm a night owl.

2. I like most things tactical and a good flashlight is very handy. (I assume that's why everyone needs to borrow mine)

3. Just always got a kick out of playing with flashlights. (I'm a 37 yr old child)

4. Always appreciate craftsmanship and quality. (Not to mention design/art aspect)

Last edited:

square_cpf

Newly Enlightened
I love flashlights since I was very little.
It's always exciting to see the light beam shot through the darkness.
You'll seek for different types of beam for different usage.
I recenty find a good way to use my headlamp.
I put it onto my son's head when he's reading.
The near sighted boy enjoyed the light as it helps a lot.
He reads more easily and comfortably.
My point is:
don't care for having too many lights,find the best use out of them and be creative!:twothumbs

imalent

Enlightened
Flashlights can light our way, and some have good features, can take the fear away from darkness.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I collect things that amaze me.
Lasers, Japanese Steel, and now extremely powerful flashlights. If it wows me, I must have it!

wjv

Enlightened
Lights are:

- useful
- functional
- precision machinery
- fun

- cheaper than collecting guns (personal experience)
- cheaper than collecting cars
- cheaper than many other hobbies

Unlike many other "collectable" types of hobbies, a flashlight Is something I actually use ever single day.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I got into flashlights from a previous hobby of knife collecting. I find flashlights for some reason even more interesting. I'm not an EE, but I took a few technical level electronics courses and later a few engineering level courses (I am a biologist by education but always found electronics interesting although I didn't major in it) and find them interesting electronically as well as aesthetically. I partly worked my way thru college and grad school as an electronics technician in several capacities, back when they still did troubleshooting of circuit boards with a signal injector, an O-scope, and a multimeter. I was also an amateur astronomer for many years and telescopes are all about light gathering power. Well, flashlights are all about light emitting power, so I seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. I'm sure there's some twisted logic in there somewhere. LOL. I'm also interested in and have read up on metallurgy and metal manufacturing and machining and although I don't think I'll ever have my own lathe, I enjoy learning about how these things are made especially by the very skilled modders and makers here who I have learned a lot from just reading these forums. So for me I guess the ultimate answer is flashlights combine several otherwise seemingly unrelated intellectual interests, in addition to which they are very useful too.

Last edited:

notandyk

Newly Enlightened
I enjoy having a light source when the need arises. In a minivan at night and someone drops something under the seat? BAM, MARATAC AAA (rev 3) TO THE RESCUE!

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL A TERRIBLE INFLUENCE!!!!!!!!

I came here innocently looking for a flashlight work because my AA maglite kept shutting off randomly so I returned it. So after a lot of research and help from members bought a Quark AAx2 XML which still serves me well every day at work 2 years later. Nowadays at work I carry 4 lights on me, my trusty quark on my hip, a Preon 2 in my shirt pocket, SG5 headlamp in my pants pocket and a i3S on my house keychain. Now 6 quality lights later and seriously considering buying lucky number 7, just in case....

You should all be ashamed of yourselves....................

Last edited:

american

Enlightened
BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL A TERRIBLE INFLUENCE!!!!!!!!

I came here innocently looking for a flashlight work because my AA maglite kept shutting off randomly so I returned it. So after a lot of research and help from members bought a Quark AAx2 XML which still serves me well every day at work 2 years later. Nowadays at work I carry 4 lights on me, my trusty quark on my hip, a Preon 2 in my shirt pocket, SG5 headlamp in my pants pocket and a i3S on my house keychain. Now 6 quality lights later and seriously considering buying lucky number 7, just in case....

You should all be ashamed of yourselves....................
I agree I came here trying to find a led upgrade for my mini mag which I never even got 5 eagle tacs 10 fenixs 7 sure fires 10 malkoff m61s 10 maglites 4 headlamps and others I'm still looking for more for some reason even though I don't have use for more then maybe 4 lights haha.

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
I agree I came here trying to find a led upgrade for my mini mag which I never even got 5 eagle tacs 10 fenixs 7 sure fires 10 malkoff m61s 10 maglites 4 headlamps and others I'm still looking for more for some reason even though I don't have use for more then maybe 4 lights haha.

So that's where I will be in a few years. I haven't made the leap into modding lights yet and don't for see doing it in the future. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but when it comes to electronic modding my skills end. Though I've read excellent things about malkoff lights. Funny enough I was just browsing surefires website, I'm all for supporting north american made products. But at $250-300 for a lot of the surefires, it's too expensive for me right now. One day I'd like to own one and support a north american made product. I was happy when my new bike pedals were made in Canada.

american

Enlightened
So that's where I will be in a few years. I haven't made the leap into modding lights yet and don't for see doing it in the future. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but when it comes to electronic modding my skills end. Though I've read excellent things about malkoff lights. Funny enough I was just browsing surefires website, I'm all for supporting north american made products. But at $250-300 for a lot of the surefires, it's too expensive for me right now. One day I'd like to own one and support a north american made product. I was happy when my new bike pedals were made in Canada.
Once you find out you can get a g2 or 6p for 40 bucks you will have quite a few eventually lol

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
Once you find out you can get a g2 or 6p for 40 bucks you will have quite a few eventually lol

I'm pretty sure they won't cost $40 north of the border. If someone knows of one that is let me know. A g2x is $95 here in a quick search. Will a g2 or 6 handle 18500 cells?

Last edited:

benseda1

Newly Enlightened
This thing is an addiction...

I started out first with an incandescent Mag-Lite in the 90's in which my Dad gave me a mini one. And when LED's started to become increasingly popular I bought 300 Peso flashlights which is around $6 USD/each. It produced about 30 lumens at most. Then only around five years ago I got my first quality flashlight which was a Fenix PD20. After that I was so amazed how much output it can produce. Now, I'm constantly looking for the brightest LED flashlights in the market. My family are into it too and we have collected almost every Fenix product already. That is our new bonding!
TRY OLIGHT THEY BLOW FENIX OUT OF THE WATER!

3_gun

Enlightened
My tool box has big n little; screwdrivers, hammers & wrenches. My flashlights are the same way. Little for "always have one with you", big one for camping/power outage, EDC for just that when I CC & GP that may overlap one or more other uses. I don't see it as a collection but more of a tool box

I'll take a light that uses standard batteries everyday, all day over a light that uses a proprietary battery, non replaceable battery or cord for recharging that I can't find at Best Buy. Not saying Olight isn't a good light, I have 2 & both used OTC batteries. As do every other light I own

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used to collect them for the historical aspect and just for fun. But when my "collection" reached somewhere between 500 and 1000 I decided to only buy lights I'll use. So now I have a "collection" of around 100 lights I bought to use.