Why do you EDC?

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Habit, 30 years of carrying one on duty! Now I have a AAA on my keychain and the light on my phone on me at all times.

If I'm going out and there's a possibility that it's going to get dark then I'll have a 18650 sized light or bigger with me, this week it's been my Malkoff M61 MD2 with high/low in a Kytex vertical holster.

It's always good to be prepared.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do carry a acme whistle around with me in the same leather pouch I keep my keys in. I only started doing that a few months ago tho.
IMG_0023.jpg

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I originally got it for my mother who has two dogs, but it turned out she already had a whistle which she claimed the dogs had gotten used to. So since she doesn't use it, I started carrying it. Simple as that really. I just got this particular make because its a well proven design & has a very distinguished sound that's almost impossible to confuse with anything else.

colin.p

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a SAK Recruit and a AAA flashlight all day, everyday. I use the knife fairly often, but the flashlight several times a day. I actually wore out 2 i3t's (Olight replaced both times) and am now using a Lumintop Tool AAA as I don't have to use the tail clicky, something that failed twice on the i3t.

I live in a 125 year old "dark" farm house, where electricity was only added as an afterthought, sometime after the house was built so lighting is at a premium. My night vision sucks, and I am tired of having to walk to the kitchen, or come in from the shed to get whatever flashlight is in the junk drawer and hope the batteries still work. So carrying a flashlight it is.

I also carry a modern folding knife but since I have a few, it sometimes changes throughout the day even though more often than not, it's a 940.

Here is the expected picture, boring as it is however, with the aforementioned i3t instead of the Tool AAA.

6LnhI69.jpg

The Hawk

Enlightened
I have learned that I can not always depend on others. I EDC several items, but since this is a flashlight forum I will answer based on that. I carry two flashlights when I leave my house. I subscribe to the rule of 2=1 and 1=none. On more that one occasion I have needed my flashlight when power goes out or lighting in restaurant is too dim to see menu or to retrieve items dropped under the table.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
I EDC because I read the 911 report and realised that, yes, I had to take responsibility for my and my family's safety. I have personally been caught out in a dark place (it was daytime) but because I edc, nothing bad happened. In that case I was in a men's room when the timer light went out. The consequence of no light might have only been wet pants but the principle still applies.

I also edc because in the UK, weapons are a no no, and there are predators out there. Nowadays we can't even use harsh language. Where we live there are no street lights so I need to be able to see clearly the limits of my property if I come home in the dark. I find that 1000 lumens does just fine. My teenage daughter once found a strange man on our property, and people have been attacked within hundreds of feet from us. I once heard a woman screaming at night and was able to quickly tell that it was just kids messing about (1000 lumens again).

fuyume

Enlightened
Because the Girl Scout motto is the same as the Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared."

My family has been in public service/public safety/public health for generations: fire and medical. We're always ready.

My friends joke that my handbag is like Mary Poppins'. The thing you need, no matter how obscure your sudden need, is probably in there.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
There is nothing more frustrating than breaking down at the side of the road with no light to see under the hood. It doesnt matter how old your car is, all things can and will break. Its always good to have a light, even if its just a little AAA surefire titan.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wallet, keys, SAK SwissChamp/Zermatt holster, pack of gum, EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky, a couple of folded paper towels/Kleenex and a Ruger LCP2.

Chris

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
never left the house without a light for many years, but with the iPhone handy flashlight app thing right from the Lock Screen I Havnt needed a flashlight in my pocket for edc.

Do keep a headlamp in the vehicle for hands free light incase I need to work ont he vehicle tho.

Occasionally I'll carry a light just to carry one cuz I enjoy messing around with them at times… but not an absolute need anymore.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, cell phone flashlight. Millenials way of not being prepared.

It's so ubiquitous now they show people using smartphones as lights on TV and in movies all the time, and it's funny because it's true: art imitates life. I don't remember what people without flashlights did in the dark before smartphones had LED flashes for their cameras? I'm pretty sure I used to be able to see in the dark, that there was usually always some amount of ambient lighting, and I could access my dark adapted vision more quickly. No more.