Why do you still want a fixed body light, and not light pod ?

HazeElctrc

Newly Enlightened
I just cant see any situation where a light pod would not have an advantage .

Im starting to get tired of these lights that are pushing way to mush max lumens on one cell with no way to choose output. I dont see why some one would want a complete light and body throwing 4000 lumens in a big clunky package for like 700 bucks. Even basic light pods on amazon throw 2000 easy for like 15 bucks.
It also allows you complete modulation of the battery pack . you can still use any light pod, which is just the Led and board part of the light enclosed in a rugged case with a wired option that can go into any compatible source from usb to Ebike port.
I just can see any complete uni body light on the market that could beat a light poded version, if you guys see any flashlight that can be broken down unscrewed into just the light with a wired option , please link me. I have chopped some flashlights and just attached wires it worked ok but got dim over time and I had to hit the switch to turn it back to full power.
It still was cool just not a durable solution and I dont know how to convert it perfectly at the moment.
I have seen a few cycling pods at around 80 bucks but even that only beats the amazon pods in size because its a single led . some of the more spiffy lights cost hundreds, and Im never paying that when I can spend less than 50 bucks for 2000 lumens with full control over the battery.
I do loose strobe and lower powered modes out right but its not gone it just take a bit more skill to program a full bms.
I personally can throw together a batter pack and a switch so far it does what I need. I just use the battery pack as the timer to know how muchtime I will get. Basicaly I can run multiple version of lithium cells or even NIH. The light pod I have now costs 15 bucks and has been smashed and bashed , it mounts perfectly to gopro/garmin bar mount and also can act as a an aero bar rest lol.
So beyond a baton light or a very specific light , why are not all modern led lights modular and adaptable. you can even have the 3d printed case to turn any light pod into a hand held flash light , or a strap mounted trail light or a helmet mounted commute light. I have got way more functions out of my basic Diy light pods than any of these tactical lights.
Even weapon lights are basically light pods in the same configuration , if you use a wire to turn it on. wouldnt be hard to snap a small battery onto a light pod . light pods could also be formed into many shapes compared to didcated flashlight systems .

So I know Im never spending 100 plus bucks on a some O-light Tacticrap anymore. I still can can the same hand held package with my 15 dollar or less amazon light pod, thats still water proof and more durable. Its also able to loose parts and not the entire system, where if you loose a flash light thats it game over , if the cord breaks or loose the battery no biggy just get a new battery,most 18650s I have are used and recycled so I pay nothing for a pack. and over all philosophy of the light pod flashlight is it will cost less and be easier to replace for the consumer. it will be just a wire board anf emitter . it shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks for a real spiffy 3d cut tianium or brass and gold plated heat sync .

thats my 2cents please feel free to expain where a modular flashlight that can turn into a light pod, snapp into different cases or bodies, and used cany volatge compatable battery would loose to a fix body light . Keep in mind with 3d printing you can also just print a or fabricate a body that can hold any emmiter and board say 20mm or 16mm will all fit in the same body allowing you even further customize your light pod portion. you have all the same function of a slim EDC light, it just can break a part out of the body/case/handle!

LRJ88

Enlightened
Just so i'm understanding this, do you want just separate compartments for the components, or do you want something along the lines of bicycle lights where you have a separate power pack and then just some head for it? Pictures might help.

As for where a more traditional setup would win out, simplicity, cost, heat sinking, possible durability in said configuration, battery safety, and finally economy of scale. I can create a flashlight that can hold the light pod, battery compartment, cable, all that stuff in a somewhat slim container, but i'd then have to also either make it myself or have someone fabricate it and ship it to me and when it comes to saving money spending $200 on a worthwhile 3d-printer, accessories, learning to use it, experimenting to get it just right and so on. I can get an Emisar or Noctigon flashlight to my specifications for way less than $100 and it'll fulfill that role without me needing to add a lot of other stuff to it.

As an aside, the whole section of "Im starting to get tired of these lights that are pushing way to mush max lumens on one cell with no way to choose output. I dont see why some one would want a complete light and body throwing 4000 lumens in a big clunky package for like 700 bucks. Even basic light pods on amazon throw 2000 easy for like 15 bucks." smells to me like a bit of lack of catching up with the current flashlight tech, what you're describing there is Chinesium, and i don't see where you'd find that for $700 the way you describe.

HazeElctrc

Newly Enlightened

something like this is close to what I would want :)

HazeElctrc

Newly Enlightened
Just so i'm understanding this, do you want just separate compartments for the components, or do you want something along the lines of bicycle lights where you have a separate power pack and then just some head for it? Pictures might help.

As for where a more traditional setup would win out, simplicity, cost, heat sinking, possible durability in said configuration, battery safety, and finally economy of scale. I can create a flashlight that can hold the light pod, battery compartment, cable, all that stuff in a somewhat slim container, but i'd then have to also either make it myself or have someone fabricate it and ship it to me and when it comes to saving money spending $200 on a worthwhile 3d-printer, accessories, learning to use it, experimenting to get it just right and so on. I can get an Emisar or Noctigon flashlight to my specifications for way less than $100 and it'll fulfill that role without me needing to add a lot of other stuff to it.

As an aside, the whole section of "Im starting to get tired of these lights that are pushing way to mush max lumens on one cell with no way to choose output. I dont see why some one would want a complete light and body throwing 4000 lumens in a big clunky package for like 700 bucks. Even basic light pods on amazon throw 2000 easy for like 15 bucks." smells to me like a bit of lack of catching up with the current flashlight tech, what you're describing there is Chinesium, and i don't see where you'd find that for $700 the way you describe.
BUt I dont think there is any flashlight that can beat a 15 dollar 2000 lumen modulr light , just pound for pound . most of the light pods can be attached to a go pro mount or garmin lock mount with the elastics . I could simply just use a 10$ garmin bar mount and clamp it to a battery pack and its still highly portable and bullet proof .

My road bike has the same mounting position for any flashlight( I have three lights i can simply elastic in , but they are all under 1000 practical lumens and all run on 1 dedicated battery that wont be able to power them very long.
The best I can get it 400 down 300 lumens for about 4 hours in a spot pattern, its great but its also still 25 bucks and it cant charger and shine so I have to hack it to to use an external source of power. I did this for one light but it didn't work to well or too bad it was just weird, it was 800 lumens powered by the tenergey protected cells with an MAH of about 10.
I mount my 2000 or so lumen light pod in the same postion on my bike, in the same garmin bar mount only its attached to a gopro and fixed to the bike. I cant remove it too eaily but that could be changed .
so with the light pod its going to cost less because you are only first producing the light pod that can be powered multiple ways and mounted in many configs. the community could develop 3d prints and cases. One advantage it would have over fix body lights is you could carry the battery pack in your bag or belt and just have a small handle. You could mount it just about any way, like on your shoulder strap or even wrist mount it and go hands free.

I mean look at it this way , my olight 1200 lumen tacticrap light isnt going to fit in my pants pocket any better than my light pod and 4 18650 cell battery pack . the olight is about 2 inchs round and the light pod is about 3 inches wide . I have to carry in a bag or holster to keep it secure under movement .
The O light can only mount and be used in the flashlight postion, but the light pod can go from handle to bike , to helmet ,ect.......
Its also able to be made more water proof than the traditional but its not going to be a micro edc or a diving light or something very specific.
I think the diy light system cannot be beat the MTB lights are usualy around 200 to even 1000 for basicaly the same thing.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

something like this is close to what I would want :)

So how exactly would someone EDC that?

LRJ88

Enlightened
BUt I dont think there is any flashlight that can beat a 15 dollar 2000 lumen modulr light , just pound for pound . most of the light pods can be attached to a go pro mount or garmin lock mount with the elastics . I could simply just use a 10$ garmin bar mount and clamp it to a battery pack and its still highly portable and bullet proof .

My road bike has the same mounting position for any flashlight( I have three lights i can simply elastic in , but they are all under 1000 practical lumens and all run on 1 dedicated battery that wont be able to power them very long.
The best I can get it 400 down 300 lumens for about 4 hours in a spot pattern, its great but its also still 25 bucks and it cant charger and shine so I have to hack it to to use an external source of power. I did this for one light but it didn't work to well or too bad it was just weird, it was 800 lumens powered by the tenergey protected cells with an MAH of about 10.
I mount my 2000 or so lumen light pod in the same postion on my bike, in the same garmin bar mount only its attached to a gopro and fixed to the bike. I cant remove it too eaily but that could be changed .
so with the light pod its going to cost less because you are only first producing the light pod that can be powered multiple ways and mounted in many configs. the community could develop 3d prints and cases. One advantage it would have over fix body lights is you could carry the battery pack in your bag or belt and just have a small handle. You could mount it just about any way, like on your shoulder strap or even wrist mount it and go hands free.

I mean look at it this way , my olight 1200 lumen tacticrap light isnt going to fit in my pants pocket any better than my light pod and 4 18650 cell battery pack . the olight is about 2 inchs round and the light pod is about 3 inches wide . I have to carry in a bag or holster to keep it secure under movement .
The O light can only mount and be used in the flashlight postion, but the light pod can go from handle to bike , to helmet ,ect.......
Its also able to be made more water proof than the traditional but its not going to be a micro edc or a diving light or something very specific.
I think the diy light system cannot be beat the MTB lights are usualy around 200 to even 1000 for basicaly the same thing.
I'm still having the issue that this entire thing is predicated on a light pod on Amazon that's supposed to throw out 2000 lumens and cost $15, yet things such as thermal management, controlling it with different modes, practical carry, and just how to use the thing easily one-handed without a mess of a body are handwaved away.

Just to then follow this up as well since you mention the olight, are you seriously saying there's not much difference in pocketability between an S2R II and something that uses 4 18650 cells and a separate head or do you have a particular flashlight in mind for it?

I can already mount aforementioned flashlight to a bike, a helmet, a backback strap, a belt, a car, a huge rubber duck, using simple elastics that cost me pretty much nothing, or just get a dedicated holder for also next to nothing.

An HDS light is smaller than my thumb, and does its thing on a single tiny battery. Malkoffs are bigger and can be a little brighter. All of them are easier to lose than to destroy. It's a pretty damn good time to enjoy flashlights!

2,000 lumens would be annoying for basically everything I ever do in the dark.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you are big and hairy enough you could probably generate enough static electricity to keep it perpetually lit up. Use your imagination on where you want to run your cables. 😳
Definitely big and hairy.... But I'm NOT getting rid of my massive collection of clip-carried lights. Sorry.

Edit ~ Clarification.

Last edited: