Why is Led Lenser so big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clifton4th

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
just wondering why Led Lenser is that big, especially in Europe, as you say the quality (made in China) and the lamps in general aren't that good and they are expensive. Especially the keychain flashlights using a normal LED, no special electronics and so on are still sold for up to 15E, while the fake ones, which are as good as the original only cost 1 or 2E.
Why is that company so big?
Do you think they can keep expanding?
Cheers
clifton4th

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marketing is the keyword. A good marketing boy can sell a piece of poop and make you think you just bought a Ferrari. Plus it's one of the only big LED flashlight distributors in Europe.

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that's it! It's very hard to get a better light than the LED-Lenser in normal markets like wal-mart or "Saturn" or so. The information that there are better lights on earth you only can get from a forum like this. And there are not much people outside who think about searching for flashlights, otherwise Fenix or the manufacturer of CR2-Ion oder ORB-RAW would be BIG names here.

Dirk

clifton4th

Newly Enlightened
Say on the one hand you've got a flashlight which uses lithium batteries, has a single level output, is not dunkable, and costs more than the one
which uses AA batteries, has multi level output and current control, and which is dunkable and still costing less.
Which one is easier to sell? The Led Lensers still look better in my opinion. Otherwise there is no real brand awareness (most people even don't know Led Lenser but only know "Photonenpumpe") and knowledge about flashlights (most people still believe the more leds the brighter).
Is the profit margin for Led Lensers for the retailers higher than for e.g. Fenix?

clifton4th

Newly Enlightened
I find it very interesting that you say people don't look for other brands, afterall it's been said that consumers have better information than ever and that they use it.
Zweibrueder also often claim that they offer the brightest torch of its class, first single AA Led torch on the market, or whatsover and don't even say how much output the lamps have. I don't think their claims are ever correct. Why aren't they sued?

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
clifton4th;
Led Lenser (company: Zweibrüder) is a big company in Europe. You are probably american? In Europe, Led Lenser has very few competitors. For some kind of reason, producers from other continents (example- the US) very rarely have marketing campaigns. As an example, in Norway, my country, producers like Surefire, Streamlight, UK, Fenix and Inova are unknown to probably 99% of the people. The only brand that is well known here is Maglite. On the other hand, Led Lenser is expanding. They have succeeded because of some clever marketing. The americans can do far better than they have done until now. Come over and bring your products! :buddies: FILA

clifton4th

Newly Enlightened
I'm German (though living in Holland), that's why I see Led Lenser everywhere and wonder. What kind of marketing (except the false claims on their website and on the products) is there? I've never seen ads for Led Lenser.
And again, why does nobody sue them? A big battle could make other flashlight makers famous.

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
I think the main reason Led Lenser has succeeded (I am talking about my country Norway, now), are 2 reasons-

1) The claims.
They claim to have the brightest LED flashlights. NOT true.
They claim to be the market leader of LED flashlight producers. True.
They claim to have the longest lasting LED flashlights in the market. (Both on runtime/bulb-life). Probably NOT true.
Many people believe their claims, without thinking about it.
2) The design. Many people LOVE the design of Led Lenser`s. They also look very solid, almost like a rock. And the included box is OK too.
FILA.

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
I wonder the same question;
Why does nobody sue them? Maybe they are afraid?
Zweibrüder can afford some VERY clever lawyers.
Anyway; cowards they are!!

clifton4th said:
I'm German (though living in Holland), that's why I see Led Lenser everywhere and wonder. What kind of marketing (except the false claims on their website and on the products) is there? I've never seen ads for Led Lenser.
And again, why does nobody sue them? A big battle could make other flashlight makers famous.

clifton4th

Newly Enlightened
Maybe their claims are bulletproof, like they say that their David lights were brighter than a big flashlight, "heller als eine große Stablampe" in German. Obviously there are bigger flashlight which is dimmer than the Led Lenser. But big Mag Lites which are associated with this are brighter and I believe they could also afford very clever lawyers.

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
FILA BRAZILIA said:
Why does nobody sue them? Maybe they are afraid?

I don't think that anybody is afraid, BUT: why sueing them? What they do is only advertising. Everybody who is able to think more than a walnut knows that most companies on this planet are lieing in advertisement. The advantage of Zweibrueder: they are the only ones in Germany which do advertise.

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Not only in Germany, probably whole Europe! Does anyone know of any european flashlight producers, other than Led Lenser, who advertises? Not me! :whistle:

naturelle said:
I don't think that anybody is afraid, BUT: why sueing them? What they do is only advertising. Everybody who is able to think more than a walnut knows that most companies on this planet are lieing in advertisement. The advantage of Zweibrueder: they are the only ones in Germany which do advertise.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
clifton4th said:
Not marketing to the end consumer, I gather.

Clever marketing to the store owners, and lucky contracts with big chain stores, I presume. Happening at trade shows or some such, out of the public eye.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to add something more. I have been a flashlight dealer for a few years and I can tell you it's very very hard to get on the market here. Reason? Taxes. You can not imagine how many taxes I had to pay when importing flashlights from China/Taiwan/USA/somewhere else outside Europe. The combination of all those taxes and all the administrative mess made me quit it.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
except for rediculous taxes,
most ppl here are just dorks in any way (especially in flashlights, knives, any kind of outdoor equipment, ...), and not even interrested in whatever, AND plain blindsided by predictable circumstances ...

maybe within some time, when our power grid gets regular blackouts, situation might change
but please do not think I WANT such a situation, it just will come. Has already been very close lately

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Is there any relation between the Lenser brand discussed here and the Coast lenser lights available at Lowes and others stores here in the States? They seem bright compared to other mass-market LED lights (Inovas, MagLED, River Rock, etc ...).

Just wondering. :shrug:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that Coast, Zweibruder, and Led-Lenser (in addition to the rebrand names like Eddie Bauer or even Mossberg) all refer to the same lights.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have them in Australia too. Again flooding the market with your product when the only other big competition is M@g Lite ensures you get some sales. I would prefer an L2T but unless you do a bit of research on the net you will never know about all these wonderful torches we are exsposed to.

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
I believe that Coast, Zweibruder, and Led-Lenser (in addition to the rebrand names like Eddie Bauer or even Mossberg) all refer to the same lights.

Coast is american-distributor for LED-Lenser, and LED-Lenser is ab brand of Zweibrueder. See here.

Status
Not open for further replies.