Why is the Pelican M6 so unpopular and not favored by many?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard clear? What does that look like? Raw alluminum perhaps? Is it dull? Matte? Shiney?
I definitely like(d) the finish on the 2390's. I lucked up a while back and found 2 like new ones, $25 for both (including shipping).
I'm not into raw pewter, only HAIII for now. Mostly Hard Black but also Hard Clear if certain conditions are met (esp. quality of aluminum substrate).
However, I have no control on the luster as I don't have additional resources for any polishing services.

See here:
(From top) M3 (3370) in stock matte HAIII OD Green; M6 (2320) in custom HAIII OD Natural (hard clear ~0.002")

Have been advised all (strip and) reanodize should be done in at least 0.003" thickness range instead of 0.002"......

(From top) M6 (2320 post-2014) in custom HAIII Hard Black; M6 (2320 pre-2014)in custom HAIII Hard Clear (OD nat)

(From top) M6 (custom HAIII HC); M3 (stock OD Green); M3 (stock Hard Black); M6 (custom HAIII HB)

So where did you get your 2390s? Are they all in hard black? Mine were obtained from eB from some dude who auctioned it for cheap (end bid ~$18-22 plus shipping; more on other winning bidders) for a few months until he ran them out.
The 2390 is built (and works) like a tank, but I'm amazed some still could abuse them to very beat-up condition......

bykfixer

Flashaholic
4-B2-D25-BD-447-A-4-BA6-948-E-47-F686-E859-E1.jpg

A 2320 and 2390 in my collection. Note the Malkoff clicky.

To be honest I can't tell II vs III anodize. The 2390 feels a bit fuzzy-like as if there is dust on the surface that could be polished off. And it's a really dark gray versus a definite black coating over the 2360.

The 2390 was obtained from an eBay seller while searching for Pelican LX2 lights one day. I had wanted to try a 2390 but new ones were still running $100+ so I was not in the frame of mind to spend that kinda coin on an outdated light back then. I eventually found a cache of Pentagons too. X1, LX2, X3 and the K2 porcupine (with retractable spikes).

I really like(d) the pouch that comes with 2320's too. A surface protecting plastic sleeve inside that also assists easy deploy and a little side pouch for two spare batteries.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest I can't tell II vs III anodize. The 2390 feels a bit fuzzy-like as if there is dust on the surface that could be polished off. And it's a really dark gray versus a definite black coating over the 2360.

The 2390 was obtained from an eBay seller while searching for Pelican LX2 lights one day. I had wanted to try a 2390 but new ones were still running $100+ so I was not in the frame of mind to spend that kinda coin on an outdated light back then. I eventually found a cache of Pentagons too. X1, LX2, X3 and the K2 porcupine (with retractable spikes).

I really like(d) the pouch that comes with 2320's too. A surface protecting plastic sleeve inside that also assists easy deploy and a little side pouch for two spare batteries.
I'm aware of the Malkoff clicky. Too bad I can't get one anymore...

The 2390's Hard Black appears more dark grey probably due to he sandblasted surface for the final matte finish. But it's not easy to manage. You're right about the fuzziness and powdery feel once out of the box -- I find it annoying as well so I clean and lube all parts almost immediately. I've also buffed selected surfaces a bit with Flitz cream which renders those surfaces a bit smoother to the touch, but yielded no discoloration whatsoever (Flitz is compatible with anodized surfaces).

It's not easy to distinguish the anodize on the M6 probably because of the build quality. For an M6 host with HAII black it takes time before you'll even notice ano coming off. That said, if you work on the tailcap frequently then the outer edge's ano will likely to be scratched off earlier than you think ( I produce custom LOTC tailcaps so I know that well during the stock switch disassembly process). But with the custom HAIII hard black, even a light scratch won't mar the finish (or scratch out the ano).

BTW only the very early batches of M6 (2320) would come with early Surefire-style HAII finish quality, ie. glossy HAII. My very first M6 has such finish and to this day it's still holding quite well. I won't send that host for HAIII reanodize unless under unexpected contingency.

I must disagree with you on the bundled holster. It's actually of so-so quality, and some Amazon customers even gave it one star claiming that the holster is not durable enough and eventually breaks after brief use. I personally don't use it either and instead turn to the Ripoffs BL-153 or similar pouch alternatives. So I sell those stock holsters off on eBay.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazon customers complaining? :sigh:
Say it aint so………
YMMV. See here
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048KH6DW/?tag=cpf0b6-20

For the record I have one from one 2390 bundle that is already falling apart somehow. And I haven't even used it...
The button closure also seems to be iffy depending on holster. It's a random thing and the customer has no control over the QC...

Meanwhile the fit is also way too tight. And it's not compatible with any other light (eg. 6P).
The spare battery pocket is also a love-or-hate thing. And I'm for the latter......

Definitely not destined for true duty carry.

This one however is much more legit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254027797736

Last edited:

Globerambler

Newly Enlightened
Do you run any rechargeable batteries in your M6 leds. I have a p60 drop in and want to switch to rechargeable batteries without blowing it up of course. Thanks in advance

Wack-a-palm lives on....

I wonder if the name was a bad idea. The M6? Wasn't there already a super-duper bright flashlight called the M6 by SureFire back then?

My M6 herd with a Pentagon eX2 in the mix:
IMG-20190518-090650.jpg

Top to bottom;
- Pentagon eX2 with twisty using a Malkoff M60T
- Pelican 2320 with Malkoff clicky and Sportac module with a very bright Cree XPL
- Pelican 2390 stock with Elzetta lanyard ring
- Pelican 2320 silver, stock with a Pentagon clicky switch inside that replaced the broken Pelican switch.

IMG-20190518-090736.jpg

Each module has worked in each light when swapped around.

IMG-20190518-090808.jpg

My favorite 2320.

Not the lego king but if one has a busted 2320 laying around there are alternatives including Mr Kaz's switch replacement setup that works in each of the tailcap versions.

New switch boot? Good luck finding one of those.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
All primaries in them Globe.
I presume you mean P60 as in the actual P60, light bulb module?
If you mean P60 style module, some like that Sportac could handle a pair of RCR 123's. The M60 can as well since both have ability to handle 3.4 to 9.0 volts.

So your 'drop in' may have enough head room to handle the 7.4 volts a pair of 3.7 volt batteries would throw at it. I do have some lights with rechargeables. I let the batteries rest at least an hour off the charger. They can be up to 4.2 volts fresh off the charger so I mainly keep already charged extras for that so that they have settled to around 3.7 volts. I prefer to let a recharged battery rest over night.

Oh, welcome to CPF