Why LED screw-base bulbs are a bad idea

DM51

Super Moderator,
Supporter
Re: Response to LEDNinja, and a few others

blasterman appears to be AWOL. Would anyone like to suggest a better title for this thread?

AaronM

Enlightened
I have a pair of Toshiba 810Lm, 40,000Hr, 8.7W LED "bulbs" I got from Japan that I use in clip lights (a ceramic socket with a heavy duty steel clip attached). I use them as portable indirect lighting in my living space aboard the ships I work on to make things more home-like.
I couldn't think of anything more perfect for what I'm trying to do...as long as they last a while. =o]

Oh heck, who am I kidding? I can't wait 'till they fail so I can re-emitter them!

AaronM

Enlightened
Actually, I just pulled the plastic diffuser dome off one of the lights and found something really neat:
A single, multi-die package with no driver!
I remember reading about the SSC Archie a while back and thought the idea was really great for domestic use. It's good to see Toshiba went a step further and made a single LED package that can put out usable amounts of light for something like a desklamp.

It sends me back to the drawing board for my portable light idea, however. These driverless LEDs only run on one votlage range, so if I end up on a european ship, I'd need a stepdown transformer.

AaronM

Enlightened
Hmmm....
I assumed it was driverless because the box for the bulb I got said "100VAC". All the rest of the LED lights in the store I was at, even other toshiba bulbs had the wide voltage range you pointed out. That and I could find no place to hide what I felt was a large enough driver for the job.
Well anyway, I'm off to my secret test lab in the hopes that you're right, It'll save me a lot of trouble if these will handle a wide voltage range.

yveslafont

Newly Enlightened
I use 3 xr-e warm at 500 ma, on an aluminium "L" rail, 30 cm x 3,5cm x 3,5 cm, no heating problem (~ 25 °C after 6 hours)
About 400 to 450 lumen ...
Alu rail : around 1 €
xr-e led : around 14 € for 3
12 v current constant : 5 €

I agree as Star is the common and versatile shape for home led lighting

Latest posts