Why no crazy fanfare for SSCP7 based lights?

Illum

Flashaholic
I've always wondered why there are crazy fanfare for ANY LED :shrug::ohgeez:
Give appraisal to the company or to the LIGHT, not to light parts.

Why don't we have fanfare for O-rings? why not? LEDs seem to get it whenever they pop off the drawing board:green::candle:

maxa beam

Banned
Because most O-rings are about the same.

By the way, has anyone here checked out the Surefire Ultimus? An underdriven P7 is still bright, but has lots of advantages.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hi tvodrd,

Thanks for your test. It is important for the people who want to buy a MTE P7. But it musn't be a criterion for the performance of SSC P7 or a well builded P7 flashlight.

Also UB2 invictus will come with SSC P7 and Surefire was rated it 400 lumen out-the-front with two CR123A, SF M6/MN21 has rated 500 lumen out-the-front with six CR123A. I think correct comparision will be done when the UB2 Invictus come out (Size/Runtime/Potability/Output). So we will see what can a SSC P7 do on right hands.

EpRoM

I agree completely! I have a FM (I think) deep mag reflector/bezel, a couple P7s, a loose 3D Mag, and 5 unprotected D Li-Ions. Gotta make time to turn a 'sink and cut-down the Mag. I'll prolly resistor it if necessary as I'm too lazy to throw an adjustable regulator in it or chase driver electronics.
273185777_nc5A8-O.jpg

Larry

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also did a lightbox test using my LM631 but with an M6-R with the JS regulated battery pack. I also found that the total light output of the MTE P7 to be about 50% less than the M6-R/MN21. Comparing the lightmeter readings of M6-R/MN21 with my other LED lights, I feel that the MN21 is putting out more than the SF rated 500L. So, from my comparative tests, and from my non-scientific extrapolated lumen calculations, I feel that the MTE P7 is pumping out more than 250L.

Ceiling bounce test won't be accurate. Light with high lux would bounce better than a flood light. Higher the ceiling, greater the difference. If the ceiling is low and it's white and it's in a small room (a small bath room) and all sides is in white color, then difference would be less.

Alan

iq2k

Newly Enlightened
:eek:I took a ssc p7 to Lands End Cornwall England, thats in the bottom left corner of the country the weather was perfect foggy,rainy & pitch dark.
so i went for a walk across fields & warrens.:thumbsup:
Very impessive & in such a small torch compairable to the size of a mini mag but running on 1* 18650 li-ion cell.
I had useable light to 143 metres & about 45 metres wide.
This is what i'd call a day maker the sheer amout of light shocked me.
I got to Lands End across what is a day walk across a 3 1/2 mile cliff pass but by night & all the way i knew only a fool would give someone with that kind of blinding light any trouble.
this one has 2 modes which was perfect as high mode was to bright on the floor below me though this is achieved with a resistor & 1 off 2 off switch which can be an over voltage problem with some bin's of p7 or so iv'e been told.
there are a few other issues for me as follows.
The lense was not evenly place but i stripped re-greased then put it back together i put it in a vice & used an spanner to tighten the head then pressing the bezel hard against a piece of wood to tighten it fully then with the battery removed i tapped it on soft wood which lined up the reflector perfecly.
i use a piece of paper to prevent the battery rattle.
I bent the end of the spings down to stop them eating into the battery when the tail is screwed on.
there are some fins on the head that look good but i don't think the tollerences between the body and head or groove depth realy add to the thermal stabilty.
I think the heatsink is brass which cost more to make than either ali or copper alone as it has to be mixed then proccessed then being harder worked more slowly so adding more steps in the manufacturing. It is also less heat conductive.
that can also help to prevent heat getting to the battery so when i mod a mag i'll be looking at heat shielding for the battery end & try to deal with the head & barrell as 2 seperate issues for cooling.
Being England It's kinda cold so cooling isn't to much of a problem but it does get warm in the hand & would overheat in the pocket.
I have noted direct drive is turning the die set a darker shade i guess p7's burning away:eek:.:poof:
so it's driver all the way for me.
none the less i'm glad i got this flashlight after a couple of fenix tk10 p3d q5's also mcu p4's one of which i modded with a q5.
btw my ultrafire mcu-c7 likes 1* cr123a protected li-on battery with it's new q5 led mod.
btw whereas the p7 has a nice smoth transition from spot to flood, this modded mcu has a intense hotspot with an even intensity in the spill zone
giving the little light 57metres of throw after a little filing of the reflecter face.
I wish i had beamshots
au.gif

Sorry back to the p7, I'm a big guy It's a small light with big light.
I used to carry a mini mag why the h*** wouldn't i carry this gem:thinking: for $38.00:broke: £16.00:naughty:
The only other things i'd like is to know the best driver to give me regulated high low around 2.4A max with low voltage cut off cause as someone else put it using the battery protection as regulaton is like relying on a car's airbag to stop.
ohgeez.gif

Also how do i get a 1d mag body to mod as a thrower pleeeeease.
Cheerers no jeerers.

Last edited:

iq2k

Newly Enlightened
Iv'e seen the work of Jesus very nice it is to.:cool:
Iv'e done the pm thing aswell.:naughty:
So all that remains is to thank you:twothumbs
& wait for a reply.:popcorn:

24 hours & counting.
au.gif

I guess he's got lots to do
sigh.gif

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Iv'e seen the work of Jesus very nice it is to.:cool:
Iv'e done the pm thing aswell.:naughty:
So all that remains is to thank you:twothumbs
& wait for a reply.:popcorn:

24 hours & counting.
au.gif

I guess he's got lots to do
sigh.gif
What's his CPF name?

iq2k

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jesus.:thumbsup:
your reply was well worth the wait.
I'll be in touch.
buttrock.gif

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The P7 needs at least a C-cell LiIon to reach good (800 lumen) output. IMO, the nicest 'small' P7 is Mac's Custom:

IMG_0991-vi.jpg

I'll be pleasantly surprised if SureFire manages to get a decent beam out of the P7 in a small reflector. Maybe they will, as it will be underdriven quite a bit.

I'll bet that Milky can fit four P7s in a Mag head:thumbsup:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe they could scale back on the power. A pure flood beam with twice the output of the Surefire L4 and two levels would make nice replacement for the retired Surefire L4.

nightstalker101

Enlightened
Maybe they could scale back on the power. A pure flood beam with twice the output of the Surefire L4 and two levels would make nice replacement for the retired Surefire L4.

Isn't the Inctivus and the Optimus going to use a P7? From what I here, the Optimus is going to have a two part optic that allows for focusing.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the Inctivus and the Optimus going to use a P7? From what I here, the Optimus is going to have a two part optic that allows for focusing.
I don't know if it is a P7 or Cree's upcoming version of one. Both the Inctivus and the Optimusare too big for EDC, for me anyway. I'd like to see a smaller version. The L4 is just the right size. Maybe if they scale it back to 225 or so out the front lumens it would not get too hot to hold.

Latest posts