Why so much concern over "waterproof?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I buy a decent light or even a cheapo from a DIY store in 2013 I expect it at least to be water resistant,we have all been in big rain storms and water penetrates everything if you are stuck in it long enough.Like others have said it prevents other things getting into the works like dirt/dust etc.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Given the mild use my lights get, reasonable water resistance is all I really need. Some don't even have that, but I'm careful and they're still acceptable. Since most lights these days are at least puddle proof that's enough. I'm more concerned with scuffing them up from drops.

Geoff

Stream

Enlightened
Why so much concern over "waterproof?"

I think a better question would be: why are you so concerned over it? You've been given plenty of valid reasons as to why it could be preferable to have a light with some level of water resistance, so I won't bother rehashing any of the excellent points which have already been made. Most manufacturers who make more than just bare bones $2 grocery store plastic lights usually provide at least some level of protection to keep dust, dirt and water etc. from getting inside the light (typically in the form of rubber seals and o-rings). Would you rather they stopped? If so: why? This has to be the most pointless thread I have seen in a while. To be honest, it seems like you're just trolling.

SeamusORiley

Enlightened

Do you get a good employee discount? :)

I have only held a 15K watch in my hand for a few minutes. What a beautiful work of art and science matched together! Even old, beat up, and in horrible condition, they still go for a small fortune on ebay!

As to the waterproof issue, it is comforting to know, while walking in the rain, that the flashlight is protected. I recently had several flashlights set up outside on the ice rink when one slipped and fell into the snow. I only found it an hour later and it was fine. I was glad for the waterproofing.

As to falling on the ground, we can always rely on the post about the TM 15 falling to the ground and becoming "totaled"; where the writer heard the "sickening crack" before the flashlight hit the ground. :)

Last edited:

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
Trolling?
A man can't ask a question around here?
I'm just wondering why EVERY flashlight HAS to be waterproof.
Not ALL Rolex watches are waterproof.
I think it is just easy to make a flashlight water resistant because they ALL tend to be made out of round stock.
It would be cool to make lights out of something other than round stock and not worry about being water resistant??
It really isn't that important to me to have it water resistant. My lights will never see too much water.
Unless I go camping. And I haven't gone camping in at least 10 years.

Tiresius

Enlightened
From what I've learned about water, there is no such thing as water proof. It's actually how deep and long the o-rings will hold up until the water seeps through. Water tends to seep through everything so it's more of a water resistant, not water proof.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Xeno makes a light that is rectangular. They called it the "Cube" and that bad boy is still water resistant. About why they make it water-resistant...Let me ask you this question. "Would you want to make something that isn't water-resistant and sell it to customers? When they contact you that a little sprinkle or moist weather ruined the light, how are you going to respond to that when they paid top dollars for a custom light?"

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Making straw man claims is a form of trolling. Who besides you has decreed that all lights everywhere must me waterproof?

There are a few custom lights that are open cage designs. But it's like art knives that break when used... There is an awfully small market for tools that fail under reasonable use. "In rain around puddles" is reasonable use.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
It started to feel like trolling when you insisted on only finding the tiniest, picky holes in arguments while completely ignoring their overall statements. Now since you don't need waterproofing then I obviously don't need it either, right. I mean, everybody's needs are all the same aren't they? Who cares if I have to buy a new light every time I go out hiking or photographing and get it wet, it's not like they're expensive or anything. It must be nice knowing that your tools never get abused and pushed to their limits. Mine on the other hand do. I'm not sure if it's because I use them so much or because I am just hard on things in general. But, since you don't need waterproof lights feel free to remove the o-rings and then carve the lights into which ever shape you prefer. I'm sure you will feel that they are much more functional after that :ohgeez:. I apologize for being so abrasive, but at this point you have ignored or slandered very valid arguments on this subject, which feels a lot like trolling. Maybe if you weren't so automatically dismissive of the counterpoints being made to you it wouldn't come off that way.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really dont see it as a big mystery at all. For instance, when hurricane Sandy hit, the only tree in our front yard, which was a fairly large tree, got literally blown down since the ground was so saturated with rain water. I heard the loud crashing noise from inside because I was literally only about 20 feet away from the tree right outside the window there. So its raining REALLY hard and the wind was about 50mph pushing the rain horizontal, and it was completely dark, so I needed to go out to check for any damage, which of course meant I NEEDED a waterproof flashlight.....

But aside from water, if you are using the light outside in summer in humid conditions that humidity can get into the light and cause corrosion over time. But also if you are out hiking and you cross a stream there's a possibility of dropping it into the stream.

Also, even if it isnt a huge possibility that you will drop your light in water or use it around water or rain, wouldnt you rather have a product that is built to handle such things? Maybe the better question would be, would you prefer a product that isnt well built over a product that is?

Last edited:

Stream

Enlightened
I'm just wondering why EVERY flashlight HAS to be waterproof.

They do? This is certainly news to me.

Not ALL Rolex watches are waterproof.

Not ALL flashlights are waterproof either ;)

Trolling? A man can't ask a question around here? […] I think it is just easy to make a flashlight water resistant because they ALL tend to be made out of round stock.
It would be cool to make lights out of something other than round stock and not worry about being water resistant??
It really isn't that important to me to have it water resistant. My lights will never see too much water.
Unless I go camping. And I haven't gone camping in at least 10 years.

The irony is that you are basically admitting to trolling right here: you falsely pretend to genuinely ask about the merits of having a water resistant flashlight, when what you are really trying to do is slam flashlights in general for being cylindrical. Perhaps not meeting your high standards as a Rolex enthusiast in terms of artistry and design. That, my friend, is trolling. And that is why you have ignored every valid argument presented so far.

Stream

Enlightened
WoW It's called a conversation.

A conversation usually involves listening to what others have said. So far, all you've done is ignore just about every point made throughout this thread while repeating the same strawman arguments over and over.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP is welcome to buy dollar store flashlights, as I'd almost guarantee that they're not waterproof - if that's the main motivation for buying a light. They're also often square, so that fixes his design argument, too.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
OP please see this, particularly with regard to trolling, and baiting, which seems to have been the purpose of your thread. Please desist from such behavior in the future.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.